Drones.

I suppose one has to remember that in the population there is a certain percentage of twats, so it follows that in any activity, there will always be a certain percentage of twats doing it. You name it, there will be a percentage of twats involved.
I wonder if there is a "twatage ranking" available for different activities to know which to avoid?

Hi I have had DJI Mini (original Mini). My first drone and although technically I did not need a license I chose to do the on-line course, take the test and get a license/register my wee drone. I think it was £8 but well worth the education in the do's and don't's of operating a drone ethically and legally.
I totally get why people find them irritating and respect that view. I use mine mostly when there is absolutely no-one around to capture pictures and video footage that I could not do otherwise. Vanterrier was victim of some inconsiderate operator and I would say shooting the drone down would be fairplay LOL... a good cattie and ball-bearings would do the job!

A drone has to display its registration number and pay an annual fee. The operator has to pass an online test.

Yes, there are irritating twats with drones, but if you've ever parked up somewhere and had cars parked nearby with thumping computer-generated "music" or screaming round on roaring circles, then you're lucky. It's illegal activity that is supposed to banned. But licenced drivers so it in vehicles with number plates. I find the irritating twats with cars more of an issue.

A drone has to display its registration number and pay an annual fee. The operator has to pass an online test.

Yes, there are irritating twats with drones, but if you've ever parked up somewhere and had cars parked nearby with thumping computer-generated "music" or screaming round on roaring circles, then you're lucky. It's illegal activity that is supposed to banned. But licenced drivers so it in vehicles with number plates. I find the irritating twats with cars more of an issue.
I don’t think you have to pass the online test if it’s less than 250gms do you?

Is the online test to get the ID?

Just to add these are questions as I am not sure where the id number comes from 👍

I think I know you should display an ID on the drone but are not obliged to give anyone any further info on a sun 250gm device.

I don’t think you have to pass the online test if it’s less than 250gms do you?

Is the online test to get the ID?

Just to add these are questions as I am not sure where the id number comes from 👍

I think I know you should display an ID on the drone but are not obliged to give anyone any further info on a sun 250gm device.
I don't know if the rules are getting updated and changed as time goes on, but aassuming this website is up to date, need an operator license at any weight if the drone has a camera, which is probably the type that what most people here would be interested in, as opposed to the little toy drones to buzz around with.
Website - https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/registration-requirements-for-drones

I was not aware of this myself as being a clearcut "got a camera - get a licence" requirement. I better go do the test!

but looks like under 250g and no ID needs to be displayed? https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/labelling-drones

Last edited:
Thanks Dave, the reason for my questions was because I had watched some videos where they use drones and I got the impression from them that you got the one ID free but had to display on the drone and the other wasn’t required. I probably misunderstood what they meant though as they were also saying you didn’t need to obtain the license for larger craft.
Good job I was too late to get that one when Geoff was selling lol

I was reading the CAA rules and I would guess most people with drones are breaking the law, and very likely all the YouTubers who are posting drone footage on their sponsored channels, as that footage would no doubt be classed as commercial not personal, and so the much more expensive professional license is needed.

You need a licence for the drone, and that costs an annual fee.
You may or may not need an operator's id which is free but requires you to pass an online test.
However, if you can't pass that test, perhaps you shouldn't fly a drone?
Admittedly, a DJI mini2 or mini3 is subject to far fewer restrictions on where you can fly, compared to a bigger one, but it does no harm to know the rules even if some don't apply to your drone.
I'm not convinced that posting a video on youtube makes filming the video a commercial use, but it makes no difference. There are no additional requirements for flying an A1 category drone for commercial purposes. https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP2005_EU_Drone_Rules_Factsheet_V7 3.pdf

FWIW, many drones come with software that 'knows' of restricted areas and won't launch if you're in one. The girls on the Camper Vibe YT channel recently had their drone refuse to launch -- they didn't know they were in the restricted airspace of a military airfield (Predannack, which is a satellite of RNAS Culdrose). AFAICT, those girls are very responsible in their use of drones; yet they would have fallen foul of the rules were it not for the safeguard in drone control app.

FWIW, many drones come with software that 'knows' of restricted areas and won't launch if you're in one. The girls on the Camper Vibe YT channel recently had their drone refuse to launch -- they didn't know they were in the restricted airspace of a military airfield (Predannack, which is a satellite of RNAS Culdrose). AFAICT, those girls are very responsible in their use of drones; yet they would have fallen foul of the rules were it not for the safeguard in drone control app.
Slightly over-cautious, in fact. I am currently in an area where there is a 150 metre maximum altitude due to the local airspace rules.
Every time I fly my drone it tells me about this restriction. Why? You're limited to 120 metres altitude everywhere in any case.

Slightly over-cautious, in fact. I am currently in an area where there is a 150 metre maximum altitude due to the local airspace rules.
Every time I fly my drone it tells me about this restriction. Why? You're limited to 120 metres altitude everywhere in any case.
Everywhere in UK has a minimum altitude for aircraft of 500 ft (150m) AGL except when taking off, landing or when a higher minimum altitude applies. This is why drones, kites, RC models etc. are limited to a maximum altitude of 400 ft (120m), giving a 100 ft separation. However, there are also many 'no-fly' zones in UK for drone operators -- and it's the one for the nearby military airfield that THD would have busted.

Rules for drone usage are very different in different parts of the world. We live in France and the government produce a map of restricted and no fly zones, which is totally different from DJI’s mapping restrictions and any software restrictions they apply to their drones.

Everywhere in UK has a minimum altitude for aircraft of 500 ft (150m) AGL except when taking off, landing or when a higher minimum altitude applies. This is why drones, kites, RC models etc. are limited to a maximum altitude of 400 ft (120m), giving a 100 ft separation. However, there are also many 'no-fly' zones in UK for drone operators -- and it's the one for the nearby military airfield that THD would have busted.
Not strictly true in that the law actually requires an aircraft not taking off or landing to fly not closer than 500ft to any person, vessel, vehicle or structure. In a few areas military aircraft may operate down to 100ft.

Not strictly true in that the law actually requires an aircraft not taking off or landing to fly not closer than 500ft to any person, vessel, vehicle or structure. In a few areas military aircraft may operate down to 100ft.
Sounds correct, I’ve had Apache helicopters fly over me when I used to stay at Cowgreen reservoir that I could virtually touch.
It must be an area where the military are allowed to fly low.

As I don't want to spend too much in case it turns out to be a short lived fad, I was looking at this drone on Amazon...

I'd welcome any thoughts on it as a starter drone.

ta

I know nothing about them: do use Temu much? I have never used them: are they kosher?

Also would there be UK duty to pay if they are shipping from China?

I know nothing about them: do use Temu much? I have never used them: are they kosher?

Also would there be UK duty to pay if they are shipping from China?
Perhaps do some research before using Temu? I won't use them, but please make up your own mind. Here's a search I just did:

Back