FUEL CONSUMPTION

Well we have a 2.8jtd Ducati autotrail 23ft6ins. Since January 4000 miles wales. Yorkshire dales Cumbria Northumberland. All types of roads and. Motorways. An all round average worked out to approx 20 mpg. Did find last month doing another 900 miles travelling on motorways at 60 instead of my normal seventies I got approx 23 mpg. So now it depends what mood I'm in or what music is playing as to my mpg. This of course is only approx not accounting for loads terrains. Roads weather etc. It's just a run of the mill approx like most of us more then likely do. Brian

As some of you know, we have been towing a car recently, on a trailer.
We had some problems, because it seems that I was keeping my revs too low and allowing the engine to coke up.
Before we had a trailer, we averaged 26.04 mpg and after our ‘leadfooted’ trip to France, with the trailer, we were getting returns of 25.71 mpg. There are some b****y long hills in France, and I was revving quite hard at times, so I don’t think the consumption loss was too bad really overall.

Last week we toured the east coast/Norfolk broads and yesterday I worked out our mpg
Very happy indeed fully loaded with all the gaffers extras etc and got a return of 33*749 to the gallon ,now I know the weather was good and at times I was not hanging about
Veh ford transit 2*2 based hymer 572 travel van (were happy with this)👍

So you waited until we were out of the country before you toured Norfolk Gordon.
It has been noted.
How do you spell unsocialable? 👋

I don't know how many of you will recall many, many years ago there was the Mobile Economy Run each year around the UK and it was amazing how professional drivers were able to extract almost unbelievable fuel consumption figures out of their cars.

Ever since those days I have always attmpted to squeeze every single additional mile out of every drop of fuel from all of my cars with the exception of my little funster, sunny days only MGF where even at 70 years old I still get a buzz out of hearing the engine on full throttle as it approaches 7,000 rpm whilst blatting around deserted Lincolnshire roads! How different is that to driving'Millie' where I hardly ever use full throttle but use regular cog swapping to keep the engine in the peak torque band.

I was starting to get upset at such wonderful consumption figures, then I saw some sub 17mpg figures and felt better. I keep a dairy of miles driven and fuel used for calculation. Just completed a Dutch trip, but I doubt if we have driven enough to show if our newly rebuilt gearbox will improve things other than less noise and pleasant changing.

On best i get 30mpg 2.8 sofim engine turbo iveco 6.3 ton bus,if i could get an even higher dif im sure more could be squeezed out.

WHHAAT? 6.3t and 30mpg?

My A class is rated at 4.5t, 2.8 Jtd Fiat. but I am pretty sure it is nowhere near 4.5t, and I get 20mpg !!!

Unless I did the sums wrong I just got 45mpg on the trip up to Edinburgh and back. I only have a camper (VW-T4) but it still seems a bit on the economical side! Is this normal?

My Autosleeper Trooper - VW T4 2.5Tdi - averaged about 37, but it went up to 44 mpg pootling around Scotland behind a big motorhome for days on end. (Thanks Tom). :ROFLMAO:

My Adria Win Ducato 2.3 - 33/34 charging down French main roads in a rush to get to Portugal, but 37/38 pootling around Portugal.

It's down to how hard & fast you drive, whatever the motor..

WHHAAT? 6.3t and 30mpg?

My A class is rated at 4.5t, 2.8 Jtd Fiat. but I am pretty sure it is nowhere near 4.5t, and I get 20mpg !!!
Log book says it so it may or may not be correct,and she will do 30 miles p gallon,sorry litres until end of mth then back to gallons. :LOL:roof van.jpg

Hope mine improves with use !
I’ve done 2,500 miles since new and averaging around 28 mpg.
2.3 lt 150 bhp Fiat base vehicle @ 3.5 tonne.
That’s more like ours.
Occasionally get round about 30 on a run according to computer trip

I used to run a 3ltr hi roof Iveco 3500 2010 model and it only managed 28 and it wasnt fully loaded most of the time .

All this "brim to brim" filling is at best a guess. One trip is not accurate. If it was, I would be telling you that my 25 year old Talbot 2,5 diesel does over 35 to the gallon. It doesn't, that was a freak trip in ideal conditions and at 40 MPH on mainly motorway class roads.

The only way to really get an idea of real consumption is to log it over a period of time, ours is logged over the five years we have had the van. The top nine lines of the second picture are our holiday last couple of weeks. The first View attachment 50131View attachment 50132picture shows the average on the left, last in the middle and best on the right. It also shows all the fuel we have bought,total cost and average pence per mile.

Given the inaccuracy of speedometers, it is about as accurate as you can get.

Fuelly01.jpgHoliday Mileage 2019.jpg

Is that an online form of some sorts, looks much better than our scruffy book with my iffy calculations.

Mark

That’s more like ours.
Occasionally get round about 30 on a run according to computer trip
To be honest it’s not something I bother checking apart from the onboard fiat mpg monitor. Regarding spreadsheets to log miles, fuel used & cost per litre of diesel I worked with spreadsheets for 30 years when working in manufacturing so bugger that, better things to do with my time.

I always fill the tank right up, reset the trip and work out the MPG at the next brew stop.

If the MPG takes a sudden dive then it is very often an early indication that something is not right / there might be a problem with the engine.

This regime works for me.

I have to say I don't hang about when driving the camper. That's what friends following say anyway.
Fiat Scudo based Nu Venture, 17 years old...and 37 mpg seems the average.
It's not about getting the best mpg, it's about getting there.

• Funny
Reactions: Caz
Wully posted this in the wrong thread by mistake on the wrong thread:

Gordon’s transit runs on fairy dust mixed wae jobbies. Best I ever got out a transit was 18 and that was downhill through the Scottish alps of glencoe wae the polis up ma erse for being overloaded but that’s a different story.😜😂 Help bill wrong place

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back