Ok please some opinions auto matic

oldish hippy

Thinking abou t changing van ,would need a auto matic what are vans like with automatic.i am afraid that i am to old to learn how to master a auto box.and by the by would need the solar panel and extras fitting but it is the auto box that has me scared

Thinking abou t changing van ,would need a auto matic what are vans like with automatic.i am afraid that i am to old to learn how to master a auto box.and by the by would need the solar panel and extras fitting but it is the auto box that has me scared
I have only ever driven an automatic car but I assume an auto van is much the same it will slow you down a little which for you isn’t a bad thing 😂😂

I have driven for sixty years and have had lots of experience in driving both auto and manual. Personally I prefer a manual but autos are ridiculous easy to use ,but the first time you try one you will find yourself stamping on the brake pedal as you will be afraid it won’t stop, persevere and within a couple of days you will wonder why you were worried.Good luck.

We're on our second Ducato with Comfort-matic. Strictly speaking it's not an automatic but a robotic manual. However it behaves like an auto. I would never go back to a manual. I particularly like it for driving abroad going through towns, at roundabouts and so on. It's one less thing to worry about.

The new Ducato has the option of a 9 speed true automatic.

Strictly speaking it's not an automatic but a robotic manual.
I take the view that whatever the technology if it changes gear and doesn’t have a clutch it is a true automatic. My current robotised Fiat Comformatic is just as automatic as the torque converter automatic of the Mercedes I was driving until recently. They feel a bit different but both do the same job.

Much prefer a proper auto with torque converter. Not keen on the robotised manual types, I drove a Ford with that type of gearbox and I was less than impressed.
I had an Alfa Romeo a few years ago with a flappy paddle auto gearbox. Brilliant on the move but very difficult to park on our driveway with no torque converter creep.

The best and slickest automatic I have ever driven is my wife’s Audi DSG, which is a robotised one. It is also quicker than any manual box I have ever driven. I still dispute that any particular type is “proper”. The torque converter type is just a different, older, technology and when it goes wrong it can be difficult to fix.

If I didn't consider subjective that issues such as ease of use & driveability were a real advantage over
the auto option I'd definitely go for the manual taking into account the practical objective
likely advantages, eg reliability, roadside fixability, multi make garage knowledge, even bump
starting, and I still reckon an experienced manual box driver can control grip better than an auto
on dodgy surfaces. All can be important issues if you use a van far and wide, as in overseas.
None of this applies to that well known crumbling 5th speed manual box of course, then it's auto
every time !!
However in a car, mainly driven in the UK. I'd probably go for (and I do) the auto.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back