Ok please some opinions auto matic

The best and slickest automatic I have ever driven is my wife’s Audi DSG, which is a robotised one. It is also quicker than any manual box I have ever driven. I still dispute that any particular type is “proper”. The torque converter type is just a different, older, technology and when it goes wrong it can be difficult to fix.
The “old” torque converter types can’t be that bad, Fiat now supply auto Ducato’s with 9 speed auto boxes with torque converters.
I’ve had a few (I think 7 cars) with “proper” autos and never had any problems with them, including a 20 year old Winnebago with 4 speed auto that worked perfectly from day one ( service history showed no issues with the box)
But, each to his own, I prefer the proper ( traditional) autos.
We have a Jaguar with traditional 8 speed auto. You can’t feel ( or barely hear) any gear changes.

Thinking abou t changing van ,would need a auto matic what are vans like with automatic.i am afraid that i am to old to learn how to master a auto box.and by the by would need the solar panel and extras fitting but it is the auto box that has me scared
My RV is a manual and is quite heavy to drive; Mercedes Sprinter. I have rented several RVs is New Zealand and Australia where they only seem to do automatics. they are so much easier especially in very hilly or busier areas.

The “old” torque converter types can’t be that bad, Fiat now supply auto Ducato’s with 9 speed auto boxes with torque converters.
I’ve had a few (I think 7 cars) with “proper” autos and never had any problems with them, including a 20 year old Winnebago with 4 speed auto that worked perfectly from day one ( service history showed no issues with the box)
But, each to his own, I prefer the proper ( traditional) autos.
We have a Jaguar with traditional 8 speed auto. You can’t feel ( or barely hear) any gear changes.
My issue is not with either method of auto, I have had both and been happy with them. My issue is with the idea that one type is “proper” and the other is not. Both methods achieve the same result i.e the automatic changing of gears without a clutch pedal and so far as I am concerned they are both proper automatics. Yes there are differences but the difference is not that one is proper and the other is not.

As posted there are automatics and automatics ( self changing manuals) The downside with a self changing manual is the lack of slip when maneuvering , this can lead to premature clutch plate wear , overheating . This is the advantage of a full TC type auto . The TC slip used to be a problem for fuel efficiency , engine braking this has been overcome now with TCL on most gears .

My issue is not with either method of auto, I have had both and been happy with them. My issue is with the idea that one type is “proper” and the other is not. Both methods achieve the same result i.e the automatic changing of gears without a clutch pedal and so far as I am concerned they are both proper automatics. Yes there are differences but the difference is not that one is proper and the other is not.
Mines not really an issue, it’s a preference, having driven both. The difference for me is that one is a robotised manual gearbox and the other is a fully automatic gearbox and I just prefer the latter.

Mines not really an issue, it’s a preference, having driven both. The difference for me is that one is a robotised manual gearbox and the other is a fully automatic gearbox and I just prefer the latter.
As far as I am concerned they are both fully automatic, they just do it differently. The worst automatic I have had was a traditional one on a VW Golf which by 90,000 miles was slipping in top gear and grabbing in first. The best is the Audi DSG. So far as motorhomes are concerned I am happy with the Fiat Comfortmatic but the Mercedes Auto was probably a little better.

I have an automatic car and a manual campervan. Both are a joy to drive but the car is sooo much easier in town/traffic jams. So when I change my van I'm going for an auto.

Bought a Fiat based van with autobox 8 years ago. I could not believe how good it was. Like most people I was a like bit unsure, took about 50 miles to get used to. I can highly recommend it, now would never go back.

I never bothered with car test til after my accident always using bikes so it was much easier for me to take my test in an auto. Used to be big loading on insurance back then if you fitted hand controls.

consequently all cars I have had and the van have been automatics. if you are looking at something with paddle change have a good test first, I didn’t like paddle shift unless they have more than one clutch.

most auto now are some type of electronic or robotic change but still have a clutch and manual gearbox underneath with a true auto having a torque converter. Torque converter is by far the smoothest I have had although if you just leave it in drive most are quite good.

therd isn’t really any reason to have a manual now auto is just so much more relaxed and you have more time to look out for speed cameras :)

there is no for any modern auto to be slow, maybe non turbo older models but shouldn’t really be slow now. My 2007 van will nip on if I want to burn the juice and can leave most stuff at the lights as you will find most autos will.

I may be jynxing myself here but I have had many many autos since 1978 and never once had a problem with an auto gearbox and some cars have pushed a decent amount of power. Nearest I git to a problem was needing the kick down cable adjusting on a 3.0 Capri.

long post but hopefully it will help put your mind at rest and go automatic. Caz never drove one til she met me and now hates manual transmission.

Thinking abou t changing van ,would need a auto matic what are vans like with automatic.i am afraid that i am to old to learn how to master a auto box.and by the by would need the solar panel and extras fitting but it is the auto box that has me scared
The Auto Box is something that does worry first time users, I was involved with Auto Gearboxes in my days working in a Rootes franchise and what we suggested to first time drivers was to have their left foot as far away from the pedals as possible that stopped you hitting the brake pedal with full force with your left foot as a normal reaction to do during braking as you would have automatically have depressed the clutch with a manual transmission, it also avoided taking your passenger to Hospital with a broken nose.

Before folks shout about fuel consumption I can get 32mpg out of my 2.7 turbo sprint shift Sprinter

I cant really see that I will ever buy a motorhome with an auto box. Thats despite the fact that I travel down to Germany several times a year, and get stuck in the inevitable "stau" on the autobahn.

In regards to autos, I'm not really sure what to say. I have two automatic cars. One has a C6, the other an A727. Both good old traditional 3 speeds with Torque Converters. The fact that both have 7+ litre V8's in front of them makes them ok to drive....especially the A727 equipped one, which even today will be classed as a high performance car.:eek:

My renault master is an auto. Well everyone keeps telling me its not a true auto, but there is no clutch pedal. When I bought it I was worried about it being auto but it is wonderfully easy to drive. It has the option of non auto, so engine braking on long hills is possible. Would not go back to non auto M/H now.
I too have a Renault Master with the "auto" box that can be used as a pre-select manual - best of both worlds and when you learn how to use it properly you even get out of the mud at the Hereford meet!

The weekend car is an auto with flappy paddles for selecting a particular gear. The MH is Renault Mast Auto with manual select if required. The weekday car has 205,000 on the clock and still has the original engine (petrol/lpg) and orginal TipTronic auto box with a W (winter) setting. Never had any problems with any of these boxes and wouldn't know what a torgue converter was if I tripped over one!

The weekend car is an auto with flappy paddles for selecting a particular gear. The MH is Renault Mast Auto with manual select if required. The weekday car has 205,000 on the clock and still has the original engine (petrol/lpg) and orginal TipTronic auto box with a W (winter) setting. Never had any problems with any of these boxes and wouldn't know what a torgue converter was if I tripped over one!
Torque converters are quite solid and easy to trip over when left on the workshop floor. However the biggest health risk is the hernia inducing weight of the gearbox they are attached to.:)

Our Autosleeper is automatic and is fab. So easy to drive and great in heavy traffic. Once you’ve driven an automatic you’ll never look back it’s a bit like going from caravan to motorhome

Can you walk and chew gum at the same time? Auto box will be no problem, cruise control as well then you can have a nap whenever you need one.

We have a Burstner on a Merc chassis with the automatic robotic type gearbox. Most of the vehicles I have driven have been manual. Absolutely love it. Easy to drive in auto & if I do get bored I use the manual gear shift option or the speed shift buttons on the steering wheel (F1 anybody? 😜). Get the same mileage of around 27.5mpg as with the previous campo, an Autosleeper Ravenna. Incidentally we now have an automatic car too.

I have rented several RVs is New Zealand and Australia where they only seem to do automatics. th

Presumably this is reduce wear and tear on clutch-gearbox from drivers unfamiliar with larger vehicles.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back