Oyster II satellite dish and system.

runnach

During our France trip earlier this year, sat dish had a catastrophic failure on the mechanical side of the system. I was recently on the phone to Oyster for advice, long story short, remove roof setup, post to Oyster, who will do XYZ at around £400, plastic covering on the at the dish/lnb arm end, damaged and needs replaced, more £££'s, as for the mechanical side, obviously Oyster cant advise until they have eyes on the device. So I am of thought just to buy another and newer system.

Gent I spoke with, who was very good, I asked about a new system with a straight swap over, he referred me to their website to view what is now available, we discussed, I quite like their Cytrac DX, any members have he DX system, how do you find it?

The DX roof base plate differs to current roof plate, although I am sure and confident I can make it fit in some way to what is already in place, big problem I have is sourcing an installer around central belt area, nearest I can see, company located in Perth. or as there is already a system installed inside and out, would this be something I could tackle myself, although I would prefer someone with good electrical skills????

Last edited:
hi terry had sat dish on my last van would have been £2k to fit to this van when i got it so i went the internet route with a mi fi, firestick and i pad , the principal reason was the size of dish reqd the further south you go got silly i find the fire stick gives greater choice of programmes , eg i sit on the algarve watching live rugby while jan watches her soaps

I use two of these in a vertical configuration and one of these in a horizontal position
I use a cams rod on horizontal one get antenna finder on my phone and go in a circular motion to locate best position
Works out to £50 odd quid
Bonus is if you are hungry you can fry one off

Last edited:
Same as Ken firestick and iPad way to go. I’ve got satellite dome now obsolete since going down firestick route.

The black pudding route might be worth a try but how do you plug it in dose that new electric box of Gordon’s have a special adapter that your Jackery hasn’t.

I have a Satellite dome not working in the van so bench tested it to night it working ok so it can back on, Not to worry if it works or not I use a firestick as well

During our France trip earlier this year, sat dish had a catastrophic failure on the mechanical side of the system. I was recently on the phone to Oyster for advice, long story short, remove roof setup, post to Oyster, who will do XYZ at around £400, plastic covering on the at the dish/lnb arm end, damaged and needs replaced, more £££'s, as for the mechanical side, obviously Oyster cant advise until they have eyes on the device. So I am of thought just to buy another and newer system.

Gent I spoke with, who was very good, I asked about a new system with a straight swap over, he referred me to their website to view what is now available, we discussed, I quite like their Cytrac DX, any members have he DX system, how do you find it?

The DX roof base plate differs to current roof plate, although I am sure and confident I can make it fit in some way to what is already in place, big problem I have is sourcing an installer around central belt area, nearest I can see, company located in Perth. or as there is already a system installed inside and out, would this be something I could tackle myself, although I would prefer someone with good electrical skills????
firestick ever time Terry

hi terry had sat dish on my last van would have been £2k to fit to this van when i got it so i went the internet route with a mi fi, firestick and i pad , the principal reason was the size of dish reqd the further south you go got silly i find the fire stick gives greater choice of programmes , eg i sit on the algarve watching live rugby while jan watches her soaps
Thanks Ken, I was purely thinking of a like for like, as I already have access hole on roof. I need to look further into the WiFi route............Cheers.

I use two of these in a vertical configuration and one of these in a horizontal position
I use a cams rod on horizontal one get antenna finder on my phone and go in a circular motion to locate best position
Works out to £50 odd quid
Bonus is if you are hungry to can fry one off
Thank you for your invaluable input Gordon ( ****** ) using the setup as described above, do you get other channels apart from Black Pudding Lives Matter?

Same as Ken firestick and iPad way to go. I’ve got satellite dome now obsolete since going down firestick route.

The black pudding route might be worth a try but how do you plug it in dose that new electric box of Gordon’s have a special adapter that your Jackery hasn’t.
Shall ask Sebastien to look into this for us, I was thinking like for like as the hole on roof is already there bud. Gordons black box will have no room for any thing as it will be bung....ed up!!

we have had most sat systems on our 7 m/h's crackup/dome /oyster/Alden/ now maxview target 85cm with autoskew ( needed for BBC in Spain )
which in our minds is the best . its a uk company very good aftersales easy to get parts if needed & most of all any upgrades just go on their website & download on to a USB then just load in to the receiver .cheyenne

what happens if there is no WIFI signal in the uk or in Spain / France where the only plot left on the campsite is to far away to use the internet or parked up in the hills :unsure: how good is the firestick then .cheyenne
And it doesn't only happen in mountainous/remote rural areas. I encountered issues in Charente-Maritime and Vendée in urban areas, where there was either no data connection or such a slow one as to render even web browsing impossible, so good luck with streaming! And that was when roaming with a UK SIM and trying all of the networks.

This was going to be my next question re: connectivity with WiFi, we have been a few places, North Berwick down by the Glen golf course, where WiFi signal is not available. You gents that use WiFi, have you ever NOT been able to pick up WiFi when touring here or abroad?

we have had most sat systems on our 7 m/h's crackup/dome /oyster/Alden/ now maxview target 85cm with autoskew ( needed for BBC in Spain )
which in our minds is the best . its a uk company very good aftersales easy to get parts if needed & most of all any upgrades just go on their website & download on to a USB then just load in to the receiver .cheyenne
Thanks for this, Maxview Target looks the part, however, not sure how easy a fit as base plate differs greatly inshape with my current rectangle alloy plate. I may give them a phone next week...........cheers.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back