Oyster II satellite dish and system.

Due to space limitations on our van we've gone down the smart tv and MIFI route and a Freeview antenna we just fit whatever data sim we need a

Can you fit a larger dish to the motor drive to get satellite in Southern Spain ?

Can you fit a larger dish to the motor drive to get satellite in Southern Spain ?
you dont need a bigger dish 80/85cm with a skew LNB capable of picking up intelsat 902/907 will do & the right receiver which is hard to get hold of now adays . cheyenne

DSC03126.JPGDSC03124.JPG

I donā€™t understand. My dish is not 80/85 cm. It is smaller around 60cm, hence the question. Can I unbolt the smaller dish and bolt on a bigger one with the arm. Excepting physical constraints, why it would it not work.

My motorhome is close to its downplated 3500kg so one of my efforts to reduce the weight was to remove the self seeking satellite which I did successfully and sell it for Ā£160. My opinion of TV in a motorhome is that if you are so bored with the place you have stopped that you are reduced to watching TV then you should get in the driver's seat and go somewhere interesting.
The next thing to go would have been the Air Conditioner which I discovered to my horror weighs 38kg. Then I realised how heavy that is, and even if I could separate it from the roof I would not be able to lower it down without smashing it. 38kg is the same as a high powered gas boiler and I used to struggle fitting them to wall brackets. Unfortunately the air con has to stay. I can't imagine using it because it requires mains, and it would be some very unusual circumstances that would find me at a place with mains electricity in the hot summer.
I think AutoSleeper should make a basic motorhome as do other manufacturers. Do away with the microwave, air con, satellite, and if you think about it, how often do you use the awning?

I would never rely solely on a mobile based solution such as a fire stick or smart TV there simply not reliable enough signal especially in about 75% of the uk i.e just about anywhere outside major population centre!

plus obviously itā€™s fine for those on unlimited data but boy can you get through the data when on a limit!

My order of preference is to try Freeview via our fantastic Necvox antenna first, then the satellite dish. The fire stick only gets used for YouTube and Netflix really no point wasting limited data watching broadcast tv is not necessary.

We had a Camos dome on our first van that was not energy efficient because the controller needed to remain permanently on plus the dish was so titchy it often failed to lock on especially in Scotland.

We have a 80cm Mecatronic dish on the current van, I can turn the controller off once the dish has locked on to Astra so itā€™s very efficient power wise.

Having 100% available TV reception in the van is very handy especially when itā€™s dark outside from 16:00, and a certain person absolutely needs to watch Strictly, and the weather forecast every other hour or so!

I donā€™t understand. My dish is not 80/85 cm. It is smaller around 60cm, hence the question. Can I unbolt the smaller dish and bolt on a bigger one with the arm. Excepting physical constraints, why it would it not work.
is your dish auto on the roof if so you are asking the motor to lift up a bigger dish plus the LNB . what make is your dish:unsure:.cheyenne

My opinion of TV in a motorhome is that if you are so bored with the place you have stopped that you are reduced to watching TV then you should get in the driver's seat and go somewhere interesting.
One does not have to be bored with the place/area they have stopped at for whatever amount of time. Whether it is viewing TV or a download movie on a laptop, possibly the individual/s have toured various interesting spots, return to MH, then chill by viewing news, or a movie before hitting the straw and going to bed.

You do not have to be bored with a place to switch on the telly. A bit of a daft statement.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies folks, certainly food for thought, which I will mulch over until businesses reopen after the year. I have to say though, to date sat replacement looks the better option.

Incidentally, our previous MH had no dish, laptop and downloaded movies onto an extended drive was our way to view (still is). Current MH came with Oyster dish, as per my OP, fubared, to remove will leave a hole on MH roof, I do not have many other options than to replace with like for like?

One does not have to be bored with the place/area they have stopped at for whatever amount of time. Whether it is viewing TV or a download movie on a laptop, possibly the individual/s have toured various interesting spots, return to MH, then chill by viewing news, or a movie before hitting the straw and going to bed.

You do not have to be bored with a place to switch on the telly. A bit of a daft statement.
Yes. At certain times of year there are many hours of darkness. One may have a day (or longer) of heavy rain. Lots of reasons for finding it useful to have a TV.

is your dish auto on the roof if so you are asking the motor to lift up a bigger dish plus the LNB . what make is your dish:unsure:.cheyenne
Yes, itā€™s auto. Itā€™s an Alden dish. I am figuring that any dish would work so long as the LNB arm folds.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back