Replacement Calor Gas cylinder prices

GMJ

I swapped over one of our seemingly ever lasting gas bottles on Saturday. I think it has lasted at least 3 or even 3.5 years! For a 13kg Calor gas I was charged £28 which didn't seem too bad to me.

I know a number of you have refillable or on board tanks but for those who don't, have you replaced a cylinder recently and if so, how I'd be interested in hearing about how much you were charged.

I swapped over one of our seemingly ever lasting gas bottles on Saturday. I think it has lasted at least 3 or even 3.5 years! For a 13kg Calor gas I was charged £28 which didn't seem too bad to me.

I know a number of you have refillable or on board tanks but for those who don't, have you replaced a cylinder recently and if so, how I'd be interested in hearing about how much you were charged.
Hi,I have been using 12Kg calor butane cylinders, but my local gas supplier who is a big company in Margate Kent can't get refills from calor. He is saying they have a supply problem,all my friends are changing to Flogas, which is readily available in lots of outlets. I am currently on a trip in the Peak District and I am going to a Flogas dealer today to buy some cylinders in Derby.
It's a sad state this country is in when you can't get a refill cylinder, certainly not Calor

Stupidly we can only get 2 x 6kg and they are £25.25 each.

I tried to exchange my flogas from butane to propane agent insisted on new contract,so went to local recycling centre picked up flogas sister company canister went back to supplier exchanged for propane.

We started with 2 x 6kg ones but when they ran out I upgraded to 2 x 13kg ones and only had to pay the cost of the gas due to a friendly local gas selling place.

There is no exchange cost, all they need is a bottle of any size so long as it is Calor blue or red, but you do get some sellers only wanting to sell certain sizes as that is what their regulars use, but Calor will bollock them for doing that so a word is enough to get a different size.

I was surprised to be able to swap a 6 for a 13, it being bigger and all.

I'm sure there used to be a 15kg propane too.

I was surprised to be able to swap a 6 for a 13, it being bigger and all.
Slight improvement in supplies then, Graham? When we bought Brunhilde in April 21, we tried to upgrade the gas bottle from the 6kg supplied by the Dealer and were told that having 6kg bottles available was a rarity, and that size changes would be months away. That 6kg bottle cost me £26.75 for the refill, which seemed awfully expensive at the time!

Steve

There is no exchange cost, all they need is a bottle of any size so long as it is Calor blue or red, but you do get some sellers only wanting to sell certain sizes as that is what their regulars use, but Calor will bollock them for doing that so a word is enough to get a different size.
there are size groups with Calor, and dealers will (should) exchange a bottle of one size with a bottle with another IF in the same group.
My MH allows the use of 1 13KG and 1 6KG bottle. So when I fitted a Gaslow 11KG bottle, I did an exchange of the Calor 13Kg to a Calor 6KG as the 13KG ones will be of no further use.
It looks like my dealer didn't worry too much about being in a different group in fact ...

Last edited:

Hi again, I managed to buy 2 x 13Kg Flogas butane bottles at Lynn's Dicounts Chaddesden for £20 for the bottle and £40 for the gas, the owner of the shop said he had heared that Calor gas are pulling out of the market, so it might be time to consider a change ,he also said that Flogas are buying up other gas suppliers.

• Thank You
Reactions: GMJ
I think if Calor were going we'd hear about it on the news.

Reactions: GMJ
Slight improvement in supplies then, Graham? When we bought Brunhilde in April 21, we tried to upgrade the gas bottle from the 6kg supplied by the Dealer and were told that having 6kg bottles available was a rarity, and that size changes would be months away. That 6kg bottle cost me £26.75 for the refill, which seemed awfully expensive at the time!

Steve

Sorry I mis-directed you: I swapped my cylinders over a few years ago now not recently. I should have made that clearer.

I paid £30 for a 6kg a while back. Locally at the moment, I'm seeing prices around £28 for 4.5kG Butane but you can't buy one anywhere as nobody has stock apart from someone on facebook marketplace asking £50 for a 4.5kg refill.

It would be a pretty major move for them to pull out of the market and as PB says, I reckon it would have hit the headlines.

I think there are loads for sale as people realise that they can make a few quid due to the shortage. Instead of having them kick around in their shed/garage, why not sell them?

I have heard similar about butane only

My van only takes 6kg propane size there are 2.

Last December I managed to get a refill at the C&CC site at Devizes for £29.95.
Eventually I got a refill locally for £25.91 and a week later I got another whilst at the Kelso meet for around £30.

Seems to me they charge whatever they want to.

Market forces..so they can charge whatever they want :confused:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back