Replacement Calor Gas cylinder prices

Market forces..so they can charge whatever they want :confused:
Not pure market forces, Graham; a previous monopoly of supply, that prevented competitors gaining access to the market, meaning that there were no market forces in existence, or needed. 'If you want gas it's calor or calor. Now which bottle can I overcharge you for?'

Steve

If we are going to get picky then the true definition of market forces takes into account any/all economic factors...one of which would be the availability of supply, monopoly or otherwise.

If we are going to get picky then the true definition of market forces takes into account any/all economic factors...one of which would be the availability of supply, monopoly or otherwise.
I'll disagree with you, because Calor Gas had no competitors and was free to abuse the market, free from any competitive threat

Steve

OK fair enough but just look up any definition of 'market forces'....

"the economic factors affecting the price of, demand for, and availability of a commodity."

"the actions of buyers and sellers that cause the prices of goods and services to change without being controlled by the government : the economic forces of supply and demand The value of these commodities is determined by market forces."

"Market forces refer to supply and demand, which determine the allocation of scarce resources and the relative prices of goods, services, and assets in a market economy."

You use the words "had" and "was" which are in the past tense whilst we are talking about prices here and now. Even in a monopoly state there is a market as folks are free to choose not to buy the product or else look at alternatives. Tricky with bottled gas I'll agree but not insurmountable.

Calor just don’t seem interested in the leisure market any more, they seem more than willing to step out of the market and let others step in while they supply bulk. Of course this could cause mother for those on exchange bottles as different areas could end up having different suppliers/bottles. We will have to wait and see what happens, we’ll anyone with exchange bottles will

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back