Reverse polarity on motorhome hook up.

TrevandJenny

We arrived onsite and did the bits needed as well a plugging the hook up to site power and camper, I always check the Sargent unit to see if the mains red light is lit..
What I noticed today and had never before was the reverse polarity red light was illuminated, I had read about this issue as if the site power output had not been wired correctly a reverse polarity fault could occur.
I reported this to site office who sent out a colleague to test the site post. He said all was fine, As I have two power leads I changed to the spare one, no difference at all, fault still shown, I isolated separately, the fridge, the immersion water heater, the cooker, . No change.
The site loaned me a socket tester, see image below, a correct reading is the two left lights lit, with several options shown on the unit.
On all of our sockets we had two left lights lit as well as the right hand one glimmering.
We have had M/H since new and I have not done any mains voltage alterations.
Puzzled, any ideas?

IMG_1083.jpegIMG_1084.jpeg

We have had this happen on our Bentley Motorhome. Having discussed it in our owners group it appears that most other owners have too. I’ve never noticed it have any adverse effect but understand that if the warning is correct it may possibly lead to an appliance remainiing live when switched off.

We've noticed it in the past. I can't remember the last time we saw the warning red lamp light up, but from my hazy memory it was at a cheap campsite in Northern France.

As part of our normal camping routines we always disconnect every appliance from it's output socket when not in use. I don't worry about reversed polarity.

We've noticed it in the past. I can't remember the last time we saw the warning red lamp light up, but from my hazy memory it was at a cheap campsite in Northern France.

As part of our normal camping routines we always disconnect every appliance from it's output socket when not in use. I don't worry about reversed polarity.
dont worry about reverse polarity so WHY does sargents put the warning light in then :unsure:
all we do is just make up a short lead with reverse polarity its not rocket science 🤓

Polarity is a UK thing because we have been using single pole switches for many years. Continental standards require 2 pole switching and make polarity irrelevant. Many inverters will not be producing a single polarity power supply. All we need to do is assume that both wires are live and unplug devices before looking inside.

Afternoon update, it seems the Battery master fitted less than a month ago May have interfered with the Sargent system when on mains hook up.
I removed the battery master plus loom and disconnected the three inputs to the batteries. I then hooked up to mains and the reverse polarity light remained off.
After a while it came on again, although less bright. .
Now seriously p——d off, so rang the Sargent help line, explained problem, advised what isolation methods I had done he then advised only three reasons the light would come on, defective hook up supply at site, defective hook up lead, or problem with the EC328 power supply unit.
Still no wiser why it’s happened☹️☹️☹️

Not that long ago I lost all power and assumed the worst. I borrowed the site extension lead and everything worked normally.

I took apart my blue plug on the extension lead to find a loose wire. I am so careful connecting, disconnecting and coiling up the lead, so it's possible that I've coiled it too tighty inside a plastic bag whilst travelling.

I hope yours is as easy.

Continental plugs can be inserted it in the socket two ways.
On the rare occurrence of reverse polarity, I just turned the plug upside down.
Ignorance is bliss.

Afternoon update, it seems the Battery master fitted less than a month ago May have interfered with the Sargent system when on mains hook up.
I removed the battery master plus loom and disconnected the three inputs to the batteries. I then hooked up to mains and the reverse polarity light remained off.
Now seriously p——d off, so rang the Sargent help line, explained problem, advised what isolation methods I had done he then advised only three reasons the light would come on, defective hook up supply at site, defective hook up lead, or problem with the EC328 power supply unit.

never interfere with sargent systems i kept my add on's as a separate system 3 extra battery's 110ah 2000w inverter 2/150w solar panels

Not that long ago I lost all power and assumed the worst. I borrowed the site extension lead and everything worked normally.

I took apart my blue plug on the extension lead to find a loose wire. I am so careful connecting, disconnecting and coiling up the lead, so it's possible that I've coiled it too tighty inside a plastic bag whilst travelling.

I hope yours is as easy.
I carry two leads and tried both, no change to fault, however I will check all the blue plugs in the morning, you never know.
Thanks for the idea.

Electrical appliances do not care in the slightest about polarity and neither do I when in my motorhome because everything is properly protected. At home it is a bit different because most of the switches are single pole.

Last edited:
It’s only a problem if you start dismantling an electrical appliance when it’s still plugged in and the EHU is connected, particularly with wet fingers, then RP becomes RIP.

Polarity is a UK thing because we have been using single pole switches for many years. Continental standards require 2 pole switching and make polarity irrelevant. Many inverters will not be producing a single polarity power supply. All we need to do is assume that both wires are live and unplug devices before looking inside.
True but if something on the live side is on a touchable part your eyes will light up, yes i know most stuff today is double insulated, but some stuff out there is not, and some electric motors and equipment wont work if pos is on the wrong side.

If you go to remote parts of Norway you occasionally come across a supply that will give this fault because the supply is quite different to our normal single phase. But don't worry, all appliances will work.
ALWAYS UNPLUG FROM THE MAINS BEFORE DOING ANY WORK that could possibly lead to an electric shock.

multiple threads discussing the same Reverse Polarity topic... how do you keep up with replies?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back