Reverse polarity on motorhome hook up.

Plugs and sockets
A useful article but this paragraphs at the end of the article annoys me.
“This is particularly important when connecting caravans and motor homes, as they will often have circuit breakers that isolate only the live. If the polarity is reversed and a fault occurs, they will cut off the neutral. This leaves the faulty appliance still live, which could prove fatal, particularly if there was also an earth fault e.g. the metal of a caravan would remain live and electrocute anyone who touched it. Use a polarity reversal adaptor to overcome the issue.”
In my opinion the caravans and motorhomes that have single pole switching are not fit for purpose. It is obvious that any UK caravan or motorhome has the potential for being taken to Europe and it has long been known that polarity is treated differently there. The onus should be on manufacturers to ensure their product are safe for all regions, not on customers to carry polarity devices and reversal adaptors.

“This is particularly important when connecting caravans and motor homes, as they will often have circuit breakers that isolate only the live. If the polarity is reversed and a fault occurs, they will cut off the neutral. This leaves the faulty appliance still live, which could prove fatal, particularly if there was also an earth fault e.g. the metal of a caravan would remain live and electrocute anyone who touched it. Use a polarity reversal adaptor to overcome the issue.”
In my opinion the caravans and motorhomes that have single pole switching are not fit for purpose. It is obvious that any UK caravan or motorhome has the potential for being taken to Europe and it has long been known that polarity is treated differently there. The onus should be on manufacturers to ensure their product are safe for all regions, not on customers to carry polarity devices and reversal adaptors.
Why should valid advice annoy you?
Your personal opinion - nor mine or anyone elses - doesn't matter in terms of what is legally permitted and allowed. So an article that points out something that could occur and ways to deal with it is far more useful than someone stamping their feet and saying "I don't like".

Better safe than sorry, hence i fitted the change over switch, not that i do camp sites but best do a job right first time.

Why should valid advice annoy you?
Your personal opinion - nor mine or anyone elses - doesn't matter in terms of what is legally permitted and allowed. So an article that points out something that could occur and ways to deal with it is far more useful than someone stamping their feet and saying "I don't like".
Better safe than sorry, hence i fitted the change over switch, not that i do camp sites but best do a job right first time.
It is not the advice that annoys me and I agree that better safe than sorry. However I still feel the onus is on the manufacturers to provide motorhomes that are safe to use abroad not just in the UK. They might meet UK standards but they should also meet the standard needed for safe use elsewhere. They know full well that many motorhomes will be used for continental travels.

It is not the advice that annoys me and I agree that better safe than sorry. However I still feel the onus is on the manufacturers to provide motorhomes that are safe to use abroad not just in the UK. They might meet UK standards but they should also meet the standard needed for safe use elsewhere. They know full well that many motorhomes will be used for continental travels.
And they have polarity indicators to indicate for those campsites who owners haven't bothered to install their electrics correctly. The campsite owners are just as responsible - far more so, I would say - for providing a safe electrical supply as motorhome builders are in providing protection.
Motorhomes used for continental travels? far fewer than you think I bet. The majority of motorhome owners and caravan owners in the UK do not venture abroad, so the idea that everyone should have "continental-safe" wiring just in case they go somewhere they never have any intention of is a nonsense really.

Want to talk about safe electrical installations in Motorhomes? What about those that don't even have an RCD fitted? that is a basic protection which is missing from earlier Hymers for example.
At least the Autotrail belonging to the OP has an RCD fitted! Plus a polarity indication to indicate when the site has dodgy wiring. Plus DP MCBs so even if the polarity is reversed, flipping the MCB isolates both Live and Neutral.

Not sure about your comment that not many motorhomers go abroad? Living in Kent I can assure you that the M20 is full of UK motorhomes going both ways?

Not sure about your comment that not many motorhomers go abroad? Living in Kent I can assure you that the M20 is full of UK motorhomes going both ways?
Most here only camp away over the twelth fortnight in portrush, iv seen many vans like that here sitting in the drive most of the year.

And they have polarity indicators to indicate for those campsites who owners haven't bothered to install their electrics correctly. The campsite owners are just as responsible - far more so, I would say - for providing a safe electrical supply as motorhome builders are in providing protection.
Motorhomes used for continental travels? far fewer than you think I bet. The majority of motorhome owners and caravan owners in the UK do not venture abroad, so the idea that everyone should have "continental-safe" wiring just in case they go somewhere they never have any intention of is a nonsense really.

Want to talk about safe electrical installations in Motorhomes? What about those that don't even have an RCD fitted? that is a basic protection which is missing from earlier Hymers for example.
At least the Autotrail belonging to the OP has an RCD fitted! Plus a polarity indication to indicate when the site has dodgy wiring. Plus DP MCBs so even if the polarity is reversed, flipping the MCB isolates both Live and Neutral.
Sorted my end.electrics .jpg

You live right by the ferries. Of course you have a higher proportion that you see heading to the ports! That is like saying "all motorhomers use the M25. I see loads on it because I live next to it"

There have been numerous surveys on this topic and most - and a significant majority - DO NOT leave the UK.

Sorry ... I'm not yet convinced? ... I've searched for these surveys but can't find any to support either your argument or mine? I agree mine is anecdotal ... but on what do you base your assertion? It's not anything to fall out on ... but I am genuinely interested?
Jeremy

Sorry ... I'm not yet convinced? ... I've searched for these surveys but can't find any to support either your argument or mine? I agree mine is anecdotal ... but on what do you base your assertion? It's not anything to fall out on ... but I am genuinely interested?
Jeremy
I don't have access any longer but did a bit of a survey and poll on MHF on this topic and the results were definately towards the "UK only" side. and given that Motorhome forums tend to have a higher percentage of people who do travel abroad than typical, that is even more confirming majority is UK only.
(the place asked is important and needs to be taken account of. Ask "do you intend to fly anywhere in the next month" and you will probably get a high number of "Yes's" if you ask the question at Luton Airport :) probably not so many if you pose the same question at HMP Dartmoor :D )

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back