Shurflo pump running on

Pudsey Bear

I've not noticed until the last week or so, it may have done this before or not.

Sometimes the pump which is directly under where I sit in the lounge continues to whirr, it stops pumping almost as soon as the tap is closed, but it can whirr for ages, as said it's not all the time.

Any ideas?

I don't think so, but maybe, dunno, it starts pumping only when you open a tap, and stops when it's closed every time, and sometimes.

Could be air locked maybe, no sputtering at all though, it sounds like just the motor is running, but not pumping.

It's pressure controlled.

Nay lad we hale from Yarkshere we don't waste brass only stuff lark that un si thee.

could have a bit of a loop in the pipework that is creating an airlock and making the pump stay on as it gets slowly filled?

What I don't get is why it happens only now and then not every time and the tap used doesn't matter.

maybe a intermittant leak you are not aware of?
Personally I would always try and remember to keep the pump off when I am not actively wanting to use the water personally as IF a leak springs up, the pump will empty the water tank and soak whatever part of the motorhome the leak is.
(I even use a spray bottle for the loo so I don't need to press the button to flush the loo in the night as I forget to turn the water back overnight)

It doesn't seem to pump any water though, it'll just whirr until I turn it off, but if I open a tap it does pump, it is usually off until needed but liz forgets sometimes 🤔

I've not noticed until the last week or so, it may have done this before or not.

Sometimes the pump which is directly under where I sit in the lounge continues to whirr, it stops pumping almost as soon as the tap is closed, but it can whirr for ages, as said it's not all the time.

Any ideas?
By the sounds of it you have a low pressure impeller pump (whirring) if it’s pressure and not tap regulated back off the adjuster on the pressure valve or do the sensible thing, bin it and fit a diaphragm pump.

Its a Shurflo, I think they are a diaphragm pump.

Its a Shurflo, I think they are a diaphragm pump.
We have the same and the same problem. The pump shuts off and maybe a bit later, we hear a constant noise, like an electric motor. Not always straight after the pump has stopped. It stops when I turn the power off. So now we make sure the power is off unless we are using the water. I would love to know what's causing it!

Hi I had a Shurflo diaphragm pump on my Euramobile. The pressure micro-switch in the base of the pump went faulty - sticking "on". I did change the micro-switch (very cheap) and this lasted a while before same happened - it seemed that as the pressure built it was just not enough to operate the switching contact and was in reality a problem in the pressure side of the switch not the electrical side. New pump sorted it out.
Check out the operation of the wee micro-switch - you can get these on Ebay. You might get away with the easy fix before committing to new pump.

So what I am saying is your micro-switch is stuck on and not cutting pump off after pressure is reached (normally 5 seconds or so).
I love constant pressure diaphragm pumps - usually more reliable an better pressure than submersible impeller pumps - but beware a leak in the system and the wee bar stewards will pump you dry. Switch of pump at panel if going out LOL.

Alternatively it might be a tear in the pressure diaphragm or crud sticking it.

Last edited:
We have the same and the same problem. The pump shuts off and maybe a bit later, we hear a constant noise, like an electric motor. Not always straight after the pump has stopped. It stops when I turn the power off. So now we make sure the power is off unless we are using the water. I would love to know what's causing it!
Sounds like the same thing.

These pumps are usually dual controlled, a micro switch in the tap and a pressure switch on the pump or in the line.
When the tap is off it should shut down the system so the pressure switch can not turn the pump on.
If a tap is not quite closed the pressure switch will occasionally operate the pump.
Often there is an external shower/outlet with a manual switch. If this is switched on the pump pressure switch operates the pump as pressure reduces in the line. It burns out the pressure switch over time and it starts sticking on or off. It can also burn out the relay in your power distribution system.

Back