Shurflo pump running on

No tap switches in my van though, and the taps are fully closed, and no leaks are visible, but it's not pumping anyway that has a distinct sound even if the tap is only slightly open, this is just a quiet whirr.

No tap switches in my van though, and the taps are fully closed, and no leaks are visible, but it's not pumping anyway that has a distinct sound even if the tap is only slightly open, this is just a quiet whirr.
So you're saying the noise is different from the sound that the pump makes when it's actually pumping?
To my way of thinking a pump simply pumps and it will make a (pumping) sound when it does so, I can't understand right now how a pump can make 2 different noises so if that's the case then you need to explore further and make sure the noise is actually coming from the pump.
When you wired it did you put the pump on its own separate isolator? If so does the noise stop when you turn the switch off?

So you're saying the noise is different from the sound that the pump makes when it's actually pumping?
To my way of thinking a pump simply pumps and it will make a (pumping) sound when it does so, I can't understand right now how a pump can make 2 different noises so if that's the case then you need to explore further and make sure the noise is actually coming from the pump.
When you wired it did you put the pump on its own separate isolator? If so does the noise stop when you turn the switch off?
Sound changes as it gets near full pressure. If it is compressing sit in the system that could be it

The van is a Swift, and I assume its the original pump, I'm going away next week on my own so I'll see if it happens again and I'll record it and post and to the recording.

Sound changes as it gets near full pressure. If it is compressing sit in the system that could be it
I know what you're saying Neil and the pump does slow and labour as pressure builds but as far as I can tell from his posts Kev is talking about a completely different continuous whining sound. I'm not convinced that a pump can make 2 completely different sounds.
Kev, can you clarify if the pump is just failing to stop or is the persistent noise that you're getting completely different to the normal pumping sound?

Yes, the pump appears to stop pumping and the sound is then a whirring one.

you can adjust the pump there is a small screw on the black base end ,I adjusted our as it keept running on very slowly every now and then sorted it..

We have the same pump which as previously stated takes up to 5 seconds to reach pressure and switch off. However we get the whirring noise if the pump is running dry after the tank has been drained, which suggests that one possibility is an occasional air lock in the system.

Maybe the pump gets to pressure, the impeller stops and motor continues - impeller slipping on the shaft - sound therefore changes?
Possible, but the pump works fine.

you can adjust the pump there is a small screw on the black base end ,I adjusted our as it keept running on very slowly every now and then sorted it..
I don't think that's it, it doesn't sound slow.

We have the same pump which as previously stated takes up to 5 seconds to reach pressure and switch off. However we get the whirring noise if the pump is running dry after the tank has been drained, which suggests that one possibility is an occasional air lock in the system.
Tank is not empty when it does it.

OK, now check if the whirring stops when you isolate the 12v to the pump.
I'll check that one when I'm away this week, if I ever escape :D :D

That's why I said it might be an airlock to give the same symptom as when the tank is empty.
It's been doing it for almost a year now on and off, if it was consistent it might help, but sometimes it only makes the normal pump noises.

I turn off the pump switch when it happens, it's no biggy while it pumps as it should, there's plenty of pressure when you open a tap, and just now and then it whirrs away for some reason, almost inaudible unless you are sat over it.

I'll check that one when I'm away this week, if I ever escape :D :D
👍
Just thinking Kev.
IF it only does it when you've run off some HOT water AND when you're using EHU then it could be the faint 'kettling' sound coming from the heating element in the hot water tank. 🤔

Back