Side marker lights.

Norman Waddington

I have lost some trim on my Fiat Ducato that included a side marker light. I have sourced the trim and a lamp holder but the lamp has been lost too. I cant find a replacement bulb any ideas where they can be sourced.

I have checked and a working lamp is not required for MOT as vehicle does not exceed 3.5 to but it would be nice to have all lamps working

I thought the requirement for side marker lights was based on length, not weight.

I thought the requirement for side marker lights was based on length, not weight.
based on various combinations, but the one common thing is a Motor Caravan does NOT need them whatever the weight or length.

As an example, here is a LONG and pretty heavy (5t) Motorhome....
iu

Spot the side marker lights (trick question ;) )

They CAN be fitted and often are, but they are not obligitory and therefore are not in scope for testing AND therefore it matters not if working or not, the tester should not be checking them as part of the MOT.

Last edited:
IF your vehicle requires marker/position lamps for its size etc ....

Then they are tested ...

IF it doesn't because of its size ....

Then they shouldn't be included in the test ...and this won't fail if they don't work ...

The MOT testers manual prescribes WHAT is tested in each class ...

The tester DOESN'T (or at least SHOULDN'T )
Just be wandering around testing random stuff that takes his fancy

I have lost some trim on my Fiat Ducato that included a side marker light. I have sourced the trim and a lamp holder but the lamp has been lost too. I cant find a replacement bulb any ideas where they can be sourced.

I have checked and a working lamp is not required for MOT as vehicle does not exceed 3.5 to but it would be nice to have all lamps working
Is it the festoon light bulb ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13469972...TTYNRZBQU6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

based on various combinations, but the one common thing is a Motor Caravan does NOT need them whatever the weight or length.

As an example, here is a LONG and pretty heavy (5t) Motorhome....
iu

Spot the side marker lights (trick question ;) )

They CAN be fitted and often are, but they are not obligitory and therefore are not in scope for testing AND therefore it matters not if working or not, the tester should not be checking them as part of the MOT.
I had to fix mine for mot as over 3.5t, they told me if fitted they must work, so led units were sorted from ebay, they have the led in a reflector.

I had to fix mine for mot as over 3.5t, they told me if fitted they must work, so led units were sorted from ebay, they have the led in a reflector.
MOT Rules in NI are different to GB. That might be one reason they said that? Another might be they were wrong?

An quick-fix if MOT due and marker lights not working and you have a tester who doesn't know the rules .... just put duct-tape over the lights. That way he cannot test what he cannot see and cannot fail something that is not needed to be there.

Last edited:
MOT Rules in NI are different to GB. That might be one reason they said that? Another might be they were wrong?

An quick-fix if MOT due and marker lights not working and you have a tester who doesn't know the rules .... just put duct-tape over the lights. That way he cannot test what he cannot see and cannot fail something that is not needed to be there.
Thats true, but they will just then make something up, 2 years back when i pulled them on something they failed me saying my tail lights were to white and bright.

Does not matter if under 3.5t if lamps are fitted they have to be working. If showing to the rear have to be Red! Mine is an Iveco daily coach under 3.5t and it failed failed on both a side running light not working and a rear showing White because the red lens had disappeared Couldn't get a replacement so MOT station said to change to a red bulb and it would pass!!

Last edited:
I have gone through a few MOT’ with marker lights out and they never get checked or mentioned. Most of the time the van was rated at 4t and last one at 3.5t.

I may be wrong but I think it’s construction and use regs that say lights, if fitted must work rather than MOT. So, a copper could do you,(extremely unlikely for a light out) but no problem on MOT’s

I have gone through a few MOT’ with marker lights out and they never get checked or mentioned. Most of the time the van was rated at 4t and last one at 3.5t.

I may be wrong but I think it’s construction and use regs that say lights, if fitted must work rather than MOT. So, a copper could do you,(extremely unlikely for a light out) but no problem on MOT’s
That's what fools most folk, for instance on a motorbike a chainguard is required under the construction and use act but if it's not fitted it's just an advisory on the MOT 🤔
@Norman Waddington putting up some pictures on here would help us help you (y)
Regards,
Del

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back