Tow car and trailer WANTED

Enjoy your holiday ?
Thank you, but we didn’t get far! We are in the Renault garage at Yerville, just off the A29.
We pulled in to top up with diesel, (which we didn’t manage to do, because I couldn’t understand the instructions) and ever since she has had no guts, not pulling at all.
She will pull away in first gear, but as soon as second is selected she just dies and loses interest.
The garage seem to think it’s the EGR valve, but it is reasonably new and it’s not bringing any fault lights up on the dash.
Staying here for the night, and they will take a proper look tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

If you were running low you could have just contaminated your fuel filter, fingers crossed for you Rog

If you were running low you could have just contaminated your fuel filter, fingers crossed for you Rog

Thanks Terry, we weren’t very low, I never like to let it get under a quarter.
Andy, (andyjanet) has been a fabulous help on the phone and is fairly confident that it is indeed the EGR.
I will ask the garage tomorrow, if they would try cleaning it, instead of just supplying a new one. Don’t suppose that will go down too well with a Main Dealer but you never know.

They should be able to get a pretty good idea of the problem with engine running diagnostics.
It doesn't take long at main dealer labour rates to buy parts.
It might just be a loose connection.

Last edited:
Thanks Terry, we weren’t very low, I never like to let it get under a quarter.
Andy, (andyjanet) has been a fabulous help on the phone and is fairly confident that it is indeed the EGR.
I will ask the garage tomorrow, if they would try cleaning it, instead of just supplying a new one. Don’t suppose that will go down too well with a Main Dealer but you never know.
It could well be the EGR valve, you would have been driving slower because of the trailer which wouldn't help, you cannot worry about them fitting a new one instead of cleaning it, it is the start of your trip so just go with the flow, I have always found Main Dealers in France to be better than ones in the UK so I am sure they will look after you, we hope it is sorted soon

Got it booked in for 4pm this afternoon. They will try cleaning it but..... it won’t be ready until tomorrow so we have booked a room in a local hotel tonight and will see what transpires tomorrow.

What a nightmare Roger , fingers crossed it is a easy fix then you can get on with your holiday and look back in a few days time and see it as part of your adventure , take care buddy

Some years ago I realised I was spending too much of my time listening to a noisy wheel bearing that was spoiling a trip through Germany. A Dutch camper said why not stick it into a garage and see what they think. I hadn't thought of that. ?

A couple of days later, wheel bearing replaced and I could breath easy again.

I hope it's as simple for you and that you can drive on happily for the rest of your holiday.

Good point about not having to worry by just getting something fixed.
Might be an argument for replacement rather than bodge when they do give you the diagnosis?

Good point about not having to worry by just getting something fixed.
Might be an argument for replacement rather than bodge when they do give you the diagnosis?
It’s in the bay now and overnight they are going to put it over the commercial pit to see if there is a problem with the exhaust.
They have cleaned the EGR and replaced it but there is still no pick up, it’s almost like the exhaust pipe is blocked.
I wonder if maybe something has crawled up there and got stuck!
Tomorrow, after breakfast we will have a stroll around the market place and then drive back to Renault to see if they have any idea what the problem is.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back