Waste water

I can't believe that people would deliberately discharge grey waste onto the roads! If necessary why not use a hose and discharge it into a hedge. The bugs and critters there soon sort it out, and in dry weather the hedge will love the nutrients. As for leaving the valve open when driving to enable the last dregs to drain, Why? Just flush the tank out when you get home and drain it into the sewer or onto your garden, no harm done then and no residual gunge to stink. The fact that it stinks must tell you that dumping it on the road is wrong, let the bugs in the garden or hedgerow get to work on it.

I agree about potty training for horses. I was pleasantly surprised to see that in Killarney all the horses pulling traps had nappies on to catch the pooh. Apparently the roads became so foul they had to do something about it because of complaints from visitors.

Last edited:
Just flush the tank out when you get home and drain it into the sewer or onto your garden, no harm done then and no residual gunge to stink. The fact that it stinks must tell you that dumping it on the road is wrong, let the bugs in the garden or hedgerow get to work on it.
That's fine if you have access to a sewer or garden.
I don't have a drive. The van is parked on the street. The garden is to the rear of the house with no vehicular access.
You say "let the bugs in the garden get to work". That being the case, opening the valve on a grass pitch is fine, the bugs will sort it.
If on a site with facilities I open the valve over the intended drain point. As Caz has explained it still leaves residue.
It's water and soap ....no food waste in my tank. All utensils are cleaned of food waste prior to washing.
No different to washing your car in the street, which I do. Well not the car, I don't have one.
After emptying the valve is left open and the residue of soapy water disperses whilst driving..
Now, if it was the sh*t tank I could see the reason for objections. The sh*t tank goes in the Elsan point.

It's not about the content of the water, but more about perception. As we are being squeezed as a group by councils and the owners of land, anything that puts us in a bad light is harmful. Unless you are a motorhomer, you likely won't know it is washing/washing up water. Complaints to councils are taken seriously, so it is not a good idea to empty anywhere other than the proper place. But like the whole parking issue on land where there are signs to say no overnighting, the hardcore will do it and make us all look bad!

I agree about potty training for horses. I was pleasantly surprised to see that in Killarney all the horses pulling traps had nappies on to catch the pooh. Apparently the roads became so foul they had to do something about it because of complaints from visitors.
There was a time when people collected horse poo for their gardens. In the uk I think a horse rider is required to clean up after the horse in built up areas.

Why does it take such an age for tank to empty. Must get round to shortening hose though as tap doesn’t quite pull it straight. Will probably help.

I can't believe that people would deliberately discharge grey waste onto the roads! If necessary why not use a hose and discharge it into a hedge. The bugs and critters there soon sort it out, and in dry weather the hedge will love the nutrients. As for leaving the valve open when driving to enable the last dregs to drain, Why? Just flush the tank out when you get home and drain it into the sewer or onto your garden, no harm done then and no residual gunge to stink. The fact that it stinks must tell you that dumping it on the road is wrong, let the bugs in the garden or hedgerow get to work on it.

I don't deliberately discharge it onto the roads.
I can't flush the tank out when I get home as 1) I can't get to it to take the cap off when it's parked up at home and 2) That would still leave the bottom bit in it so nothing would be achieved.
It doesn't stink unless the cap is left on for a few months and the air can't get to it. Hence why I leave the cap off except when on site.

There was a time when people collected horse poo for their gardens. In the uk I think a horse rider is required to clean up after the horse in built up areas.

There was an even earlier time when poor women collected it, dried it on the coal fired
stove and said to the kids there's your Weetabix......like it or lump it!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back