Waste water

On a more serious note, I think that is deliberate surely. If it were at the lowest point, then all the tank debris would end up sitting on the exit and likely blocking it - same reason as you never get the feed pipe of fuel tanks at the very bottom of a fuel tank.

If it's a welded spigot you can position it right on sidewall right at base. But if its a backnutted type
then you've got to have a clearance to fit & turn the nut plus a margin for the spigot wall thickness.
10mm depth of waste water would be around 2.5L remaining in an average size M/home tank.
If you've got the outlet on the bottom surface then sooner or later something will knock it off, a 40mm
dia bore valve will project quite a bit, and the tank is often the lowest part on the van to start with.
Those Fiamma 70L tanks have a little moulding to allow side fitting of an outlet with around half
the dia. below the tank base, easy to poke any crud blockage out.

Hi that is interesting reading that discharged soapy water from a motorhome onto a road is dangerous for motorbikes. Surely in the interest of safety, washing vehicles on drives/ roads should not be allowed as all that soapy water must be more dangerous for bikes then the small amount from a motorhome waste. But then I suppose it depends if you wipe fat etc of your plates etc before you wash them ,I have been a bike rider since I got my licence in 67 and never realised about soapy water on road ,

We used to cruise the canals of Wales and England. Where do you think the greywater from all the canal boats go?
Straight into the canal or river they are cruising on, which is no different to a storm drain on the side of a road, as a lot of storm water ends up in our canals and rivers

We used to cruise the canals of Wales and England. Where do you think the greywater from all the canal boats go?
Straight into the canal or river they are cruising on, which is no different to a storm drain on the side of a road, as a lot of storm water ends up in our canals and rivers

And we all know that the water companies discharge untreated raw sewage or partly treated sewage into
thousands of watercourses and rivers throughout the UK. They're only supposed to do this
in extreme rainfall conditions, or in the event of plant equipment breakdown, plenty of scope for
interpretation!
The paltry fines they pay if and when they get caught for transgressions is more than offset
by the money saved in not bothering to upgrade their facilities.
Sticking the CEOs head in a bucket of shite is the only way these people will change anything!

Close the valve after emptying or before departing, if you suspect there are tut tutters about.

I don't like driving round with the cap on 'cos it starts to smell.

On a more serious note, I think that is deliberate surely. If it were at the lowest point, then all the tank debris would end up sitting on the exit and likely blocking it - same reason as you never get the feed pipe of fuel tanks at the very bottom of a fuel tank.

Surely if the hole was at the bottom then all the tank debris would end up being washed straight out of the hole rather than silting up the bottom of the tank and smelling?

I've had 3 caravans and 3 campervans which didn't have waste tanks - just a straight hose from the plughole which poked out the bottom and I put a bucket under it. No debris collected anywhere. Much easier.

Last edited:
I agree about bad practice by the water companies.

They discharge into a stream near Gateshead occasionally. The stream runs through a Country Park and discharges into a Lake. Dogs swim in the Lake plus the occasional group of kids and teenagers during hot weather. At times we have seen 'solids' and toilet paper being washed down in times of heavy rain. I no longer report it as I have been doing that for nearly 15 years and nothing ever gets done about it. The last time I rang the Environment Agency, they phoned me 2 weeks later to let me know that their water sample was within pollution limits. I asked when they had taken it and they said 'yesterday'. :rolleyes: I made a short reply which was 'f****** morons' and ended the call.

-------
Surely if the hole was at the bottom then all the tank debris would end up being washed straight out of the hole rather than silting up the bottom of the tank and smelling?

I've had 3 caravans and 3 campervans which didn't have waste tanks - just a hose from the plughole which poked out the bottom and I put a bucket under it. No debris collected anywhere. Much easier.
Depends on the size of the hole and the size of the debris. What about when your DOMESTIC kitchen sink needs a plunge or a chemical unblocker when it gets all blocked up from a buildup? Maybe the makers want to cater for people who use their camper/caravan sinks same as their home ones and could have a blockage in a much more awkward place?
Using a straight pipe from sink to bucket is a totally different ballgame and has no similarity whatsover.

How much debris do you all have. If I empty into a bucket and look hard into the water left in the bottom of the bucket I can count on one hand any pieces left at the bottom. By the sound of it every one else has enough to reenact the story of the feeding of the 5000

I don't have any either - but the manufacturers have to cater for the general user.

I agree about bad practice by the water companies.

They discharge into a stream near Gateshead occasionally. The stream runs through a Country Park and discharges into a Lake. Dogs swim in the Lake plus the occasional group of kids and teenagers during hot weather. At times we have seen 'solids' and toilet paper being washed down in times of heavy rain. I no longer report it as I have been doing that for nearly 15 years and nothing ever gets done about it. The last time I rang the Environment Agency, they phoned me 2 weeks later to let me know that their water sample was within pollution limits. I asked when they had taken it and they said 'yesterday'. :rolleyes: I made a short reply which was 'f****** morons' and ended the call.

Morons as in 'cunning morons', I'm sure they've done plenty of informal cost versus benefits
studies resulting in providing a 'service' that just avoids an epidemic of typhoid, and cholera.
Ultimately as is usually the case, the answer lies with us the voting plebs. At least you've had a try,
if enough people did similar the chances are something positive would have to happen........ because ballot box.
But I have to say, I think my idea of sticking the CEOs head in a bucket of his shite infested
surcharge water would definitely have more immediate effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tank manufacturers need to get their act together. The hole that the water comes out of is never on the bottom like it should be but an inch or so up the side.
Even though I empty it before leaving a site, a good bit still stays in the tank until I go bumping across the field or round the first few bends - and all the other campers give me dirty looks because I am doing something wrong - I can't help it!
You can. Why not empty it somewhere suitable then close the tap? Why do you need to get the last inch out?

I am a motorhomer and a motorcyclist, and therefore would not dump on the road.
To add to this... it would not matter if it was "just" soapy water or greasy filth coming out of a motorhome onto the road in front of you, would you, as a seasoned motorcyclist, assume it was "only" soapy water? You would be a bloody idiot if you didn't take avoiding action (if you knew it was there) in my opinion, but I have only had my license and have been riding (and still commute on one) since 1976.

To add to this... it would not matter if it was "just" soapy water or greasy filth coming out of a motorhome onto the road in front of you, would you, as a seasoned motorcyclist, assume it was "only" soapy water? You would be a bloody idiot if you didn't take avoiding action (if you knew it was there) in my opinion, but I have only had my license and have been riding (and still commute on one) since 1976.

I think potholes and pi**ed up drivers are more of a danger to motor cyclists than a bit of grey waste from a m/h.

You can. Why not empty it somewhere suitable then close the tap? Why do you need to get the last inch out?

Because I don't want to drive round with a load of water in the tank. If you put the cap back on, the air can't get in and it stagnates.

Quite so, if I see liquid coming out of a motorhome (actually virtually any vehicle) I assume it's diesel. Often happens on
M/home festooned roads in Spain.
It's the time you don't know it's there, that's the problem. If someone must discharge W?W on the road at least
do it on a straight and not on a bend! And as for horses, they should be compulsorily potty trained,

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back