Weather Report..................

Yesterday's bike ride alongside the Upper Peak Canal was both fun and interesting.
The Navigation at Bugsworth is at the upper end of the canal so I cycled roughly north-west (towards Manchester). Canals often have lots of industrial archeology associated with them and the Upper Peak Canal is no exception. The first thing that struck me was how well and effectively the original surveyors had planned the route of the canal. The countryside is hilly so the canal hugs the hillside above the River Goyt for miles with no locks, passing by New Mills (you can imagine what was built there) to Marple where the canal joins the Cheshire Canal Ring - six canals which link together to provide over 150 km of waterway.
At Marple Junction I turned and pottered back to Bugsworth, passing a couple of swing bridges:

IMG_20191205_123533.jpg

.....an interesting canal boat (try zooming in on it's supposed geographical range):

IMG_20191205_113005.jpg

IMG_20191205_113056.jpg

....past several original pinch points built into the canal to enable boards:

IMG_20191205_125036.jpg

....to be dropped into slots:

IMG_20191205_125102.jpg

...so that the canal could be drained for maintenance. These days much shorter lengths of canal are drained for maintenance using modern materials:

IMG_20191205_122414.jpg

On arriving back at The Navigation I continued up the Peak Forest Tramway for a couple of kilometres until the gravel became uncomfortable on the Brompton. In places the original stone sleepers used on the horse drawn tramway are visible:

IMG_20191205_104231.jpg

As I arrived back at the Moho the rain started.
Whew!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Nice, fair winter day.
Almost too warm to qualify for brandy in the coffee, at 11 am.
Sitting on my sun lounger of pain, I processed the olive crop for curing.
It's a week since my spectacular fall from the tree, I'm reducing the painkillers and feel more like pottering .
The sunshine helps.

Here at Bugsworth the sky is mainly grey with the sun managing to poke the occasional hole through the greyness. It's still, dry and about 8°C.
So I'll go for a bike ride........
........................................with Stitch (Ian).

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Today has been dry and sunny and not overly cold tonight it’s blowing a hoolie and it seems as if we’ve had a slight shower earlier

Back