What length of ramp is needed?

SimonM

I need to get a wheelchair/mobility scooter ramp to get my wife’s mobility chair onboard. It will weigh in at 110kg.

The garage threshold is 18” high, so not too steep. What length can you suggest, if you use one yourself 5’ or 6’ - I would prefer a 5ft as it will fold a little smaller overall.

According to my wife's occupational therapists when they came out to look at our house to have an access ramp for her wheelchair to get to the 12" threshold to the front door the ramp would have to be 20' long, I built one myself 4' long and have used it ever since with no problem, I have a pair of extending ramps that are surplice to requirements free to a good home if you're interested.

Hard to even push a 6-1 incline, so how high is the enterance, could you not get a electric lift step instead.

You could consider an electric hoist as an option?

You quoted 110Kg? Is that correct? Seems awfully heavy.

My mobility scooter weighed 165kg and I used a 6ft ramp with a hoist to pull it in the motorhome garage.
I guess I was picturing one of those little ones they advertise on the TV? Not a Hells Angel road hog! :D

I have a hoist lift in the shed I bought about 9 years ago and never used if anyone interested? (it is an AC one, so would need to use an inverter or have EHU).

The fold down jobby she also has is light enough to lift into the car as it comes apart for ease of storage.

i know linda’s is very similar but single wheel at front lee breaks down into about 5 pieces to go in car boot and motorhome garage , but of course agree life is simpler to just drop front etc

My mobility scooter weighed 165kg and I used a 6ft ramp with a hoist to pull it in the motorhome garage.

I hope you have some kind of exceptionally strong load guaranteed tie down points and suitable straps to totally secure that enormous beast as heaven help you if you ever have a head on accident with that enormously heavy trike in the back of your van.

I always thought they made them light enough to pick up to put ina boot.
learn something new everyday!

Just like you Dave, my other MAJOR concern is how are they tied down securely in the rear garages that all have walls about as strong as rice paper!

Not sure you need them that long Simon, if the the ramp is grippy enough (if not you can buy tape) just reverse it up, my hab door is about 30 inches high, I had hard plastic wheels and two 4 foot wooden ramps and when dry it would drive itself up okay, you have a better scooter with I think rubber wheels so I think you'll not really have a problem, but if you have a full width garage I'd just try a couple of scaffold planks as they are about right designed for similar weight, some of them builders are hefty and of course it is line with the KISS principle.

Hope this helps

I always thought they made them light enough to pick up to put ina boot.
learn something new everyday!
They used to do three classes David. Travel scooters are the type you are thinking off, usually break down into smaller parts to put in a car or use a hoist to move complete. Some, like the airplane certified just fold up complete and are much lighter still.
Pavement scooters can be similar size or up to the size of road going but I think have to be limited to 6kph, (May be mph).
Road going are usually bigger/heavier and are the 8mph scooters, some of these go a lot faster but think they have been modified, not sure

They used to do three classes David. Travel scooters are the type you are thinking off, usually break down into smaller parts to put in a car or use a hoist to move complete. Some, like the airplane certified just fold up complete and are much lighter still.
Pavement scooters can be similar size or up to the size of road going but I think have to be limited to 6kph, (May be mph).
Road going are usually bigger/heavier and are the 8mph scooters, some of these go a lot faster but think they have been modified, not sure
I just imagine the ones on the TV adverts like the Quingo, or the one Madge drove around on in Benidorm :)

I hope you have some kind of exceptionally strong load guaranteed tie down points and suitable straps to totally secure that enormous beast as heaven help you if you ever have a head on accident with that enormously heavy trike in the back of your van.
When I traveled with it it was total secured but I no longer own it I passed it on to another member when I downsized my Motorhome last year.

I need to get a wheelchair/mobility scooter ramp to get my wife’s mobility chair onboard. It will weigh in at 110kg.

The garage threshold is 18” high, so not too steep. What length can you suggest, if you use one yourself 5’ or 6’ - I would prefer a 5ft as it will fold a little smaller overall.
This is what I use to load the wife's one onto a trailer, There are some on faceache, this is not mine1703235138639.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back