What length of ramp is needed?

I need to get a wheelchair/mobility scooter ramp to get my wife’s mobility chair onboard. It will weigh in at 110kg.

The garage threshold is 18” high, so not too steep. What length can you suggest, if you use one yourself 5’ or 6’ - I would prefer a 5ft as it will fold a little smaller overall.
as a general rule for ever inch high the ramp should be at least a foot long,

as a general rule for ever inch high the ramp should be at least a foot long,
I can’t see that working in a million years. It’s only 18 inches high and can you imagine having to carry 18 feet of ramp :ROFLMAO:

no, I’m going to order a 5 foot one that can be folded in half and then a half again, what they call a suitcase ramp

1:12 gradient is correct guidance for wheelchair access ramps.
It is the minimum I used when designing office space with disabled access.
However it is intended for unaided wheelchair users with manual wheelchairs.
I believe the use-case here is for loading and unloading the unoccupied mobility scooter itself and so the limiting factors may be strength, stability and traction.
It is worth noting that a 5’ ramp would equate to a load angle of around 16.9 degrees and a 6’ ramp 14 degrees, a difference of around 2.9 degrees.
To quote some risk assessment guidance for loaded trolleys on a ramp…

An increase in slope angle of 1° results in an approximate 1.75 increase in the push force (kg) per 100kg of laden trolley weight. As with any manual handling activities that present a risk to injury, the assessment should consider the task, the load, the environment and the individuals carrying out the task.”

I assume you will use the drive motor in the chair to assist, so if it is rated for a 17 degree (~30%) incline it may work, but this is quite steep for traction as most seem to have an upper limit of around 12 degrees.

I suggest that given the 110kg weight of the mobility scooter, you seek guidance from the ramp supplier.

Please note, I am not an expert, and would advise you to seek expert guidance before trying this, please be safe!

Many years ago when I was working I studied for a Diploma in Health and Safety at Brunel Uni in Bristol. What was very apparent was how the extremely useful valid use of common sense was deemed to be inappropriate. this scooter has a 12° incline rating when loaded at something like 220kg, to load it empty at 107kg will be childs play I reckon. I’ll soon see.

You could still get an 18 foot ramp and fold it in three Simon.

I bought a van with this on ages ago

1703319100676.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back