What other tyres to consider?

SimonM

I have used Michelin Agilis Camping tyres for ever it seems. My quandary right now is they’re no longer made and the replacements are directional. 225/70R15 CP 112Q

I have a brand spanking new unused spare, and would have used it and another new replacement for my front tyres that have about 3/4000 miles left on them. The rears have about 8000 left maybe.

My problem is my imminent journey is going to be around 6000 miles and so I need 2 fronts before I go. What to go for? If I need to use my spare in an emergency would it be legal when mixed with a different make across the axle?

I may consider 5 new tyres, and then see what money I can get for the new one and 4 good used Michelin.

Thoughts?

You can mix makes, but size and type need to be the same Si.

But if they are good enough to sell won't they last 6k? and of course they sell tyres over the chunnel too, may even be more cheaper.

But if they are good enough to sell won't they last 6k? and of course they sell tyres over the chunnel too, may even be more cheaper.
If purchasing in the EU, one needs to be aware of HMRC allowances on importation into the UK.
I would recommend Agilis Cross Climate, but it is indeed possible that it would then be advisable to change all 5.

If purchasing in the EU, one needs to be aware of HMRC allowances on importation into the UK.
I would recommend Agilis Cross Climate, but it is indeed possible that it would then be advisable to change all 5.
I wanted cross climate on front and normal agilas on rear they would not do it .even on a tagg with 4 rear tyres because of different grip ratings..

I had Cross-Climate fitted to the front a couple of years ago, no Camping version available at the time, with Vanco Campers with lots of tread left still on the rear. Fully intend to get Cross-Climates fitted to the rear when they eventually need replacing.

Who is going to know the tyres that are fitted to a Motorhome that is being driven off a ferry were purchased when in the EU for gawds sake!

Trouble is if you get 5 new Cross Climates, which way do you mount the 5th onto the spare? got a 50:50 chance of being "wrong".
I'd agree on using Cross-Climates but I would keep the spare wheel as it is if it were the same size or very close to it.
Do the tyres all have to match on an axle? if that was a law, then every use of a SpaceSaver spare would be illegal.

Who is going to know the tyres that are fitted to a Motorhome that is being driven off a ferry were purchased when in the EU for gawds sake!

<snip>
The owner for one. What the owner does with that information is up to them, but it's good to be aware of this additional benefit of Brexit.

I bought 3 tyres in France in 2021, so what, I brought home a full tank of fuel, and gas, and water.

I am inclined towards 4 x Cross Climates and to keep my new Agilis just as a spare. It is a pain that the new ones are directional, but bearing in mind I’m off to the Arctic Circle having 3 seasons tyres will be a blessing.

Checking my log I see that the fronts have done almost 9000 miles - categorically won’t be anything more than slicks at 14000. The reads have done almost 16500 miles and won’t last much more than another 3/4000.

Oh, and the 3 tyres I purchased in France were rather a lot more expensive than back home here, and I had to wait 3 days for availability.

I wanted cross climate on front and normal agilas on rear they would not do it .even on a tagg with 4 rear tyres because of different grip ratings..
Can I ask who said no to you?

Why I ask is that on my Tag Axle van I had Michelin Agilis Camping tyres on the front axle but fitted Michelin Agilis Commercial on the 2 rear axles. I did that because the 2 rear axles only needed around 48 psi pressure, so Commercials were more than sufficient (the fronts ran at 67 psi).

Can I ask who said no to you?

Why I ask is that on my Tag Axle van I had Michelin Agilis Camping tyres on the front axle but fitted Michelin Agilis Commercial on the 2 rear axles. I did that because the 2 rear axles only needed around 48 psi pressure, so Commercials were more than sufficient (the fronts ran at 67 psi).
B
local tyre shop also halfords

They said could have normal agilas on front and cross climate on rear .
But that would not given more wet grip on front ..

My rear tyres needed replacing, but like others here I discovered that the old Aglis were no longer available. I had read on forums that you could not mix old style Aglis with the new Cross climates ie not mixing on one axle but one type on fronts and the other on the rear (or vice versa).

I phoned Michelin, who flatly stated that with Cross climates it must be all four on the vehicle and they did not condone cross climates on one axle only.

I complained that I had two perfectly good Aglis on the front, but they were not interested in the prospect of lost business if I was not prepared to change all four.

Davy

aaaaa
My rear tyres needed replacing, but like others here I discovered that the old Aglis were no longer available. I had read on forums that you could not mix old style Aglis with the new Cross climates ie not mixing on one axle but one type on fronts and the other on the rear (or vice versa).

I phoned Michelin, who flatly stated that with Cross climates it must be all four on the vehicle and they did not condone cross climates on one axle only.

I complained that I had two perfectly good Aglis on the front, but they were not interested in the prospect of lost business if I was not prepared to change all four.

Davy
So they put safety over sales then?

Or you could interpret it as a sales ploy to try and sell sets of four to people who only needed two.
Or you could interpret it as poor customer service to cease manufacture of Aglis without giving advance warning and a period of dual availability. I cannot recall any information being published, nor it becoming a talking point until I raised the topic some months back on here or Wild Camping.

Davy

The UK is not in the EU. end of the story. the history behind it is the past and irrelevant. Time to move on.
On a technical point, David, rather than a practical one, it is *because* UK has left EU that the issue of VAT and import duties arises. In practice, a) who will notice?; and b) who will argue with a driver who explains that the tyres were damaged on holiday, and the garage advised that the other tyres were too close to the legal limit to be kept fitted to the vehicle? And if the Border Guard has that much time, tell him/her to spend it checking passports (or looking in the fridge for cheese sandwiches and/or very small illegal immigrants as the Border Guard did at Portsmouth with our Gobur Folding Caravan, despite my explanation that I had struggled to close it, with all the extra kit we needed to fit into the folding space ...) :rolleyes:

Steve

On a technical point, David, rather than a practical one, it is *because* UK has left EU that the issue of VAT and import duties arises. In practice, a) who will notice?; and b) who will argue with a driver who explains that the tyres were damaged on holiday, and the garage advised that the other tyres were too close to the legal limit to be kept fitted to the vehicle? And if the Border Guard has that much time, tell him/her to spend it checking passports (or looking in the fridge for cheese sandwiches and/or very small illegal immigrants as the Border Guard did at Portsmouth with our Gobur Folding Caravan, despite my explanation that I had struggled to close it, with all the extra kit we needed to fit into the folding space ...) :rolleyes:

Steve
Now the last time you want abroad, did anyone check the brand and tyre tread depth in the tyres fitted to your motorhome? Either When you arrived or BEFORE you left? Without a starting point, no comparison is possible to begin with.
This discussion about importation of the tyres when fitted abroad and the driver apparently declaring it was just farcical.
Ignore the UK/EU thing. Why isn't the same person making the point that if tyres were fitted in a non-EU country the same could apply (and even if UK was in EU)?
Answer is he cannot let go of the past and will grasp at anything to keep it alive.

Move on. Nothing to see here.

I've had michelin cross climate fitted recently, the van feels smoother to drive.
If you decide to go with them, ATS have a good deal on them but you need to buy them on line and choose your ATS centre for fitting.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back