What other tyres to consider?

B
local tyre shop also halfords

They said could have normal agilas on front and cross climate on rear .
But that would not given more wet grip on front ..
Don't know whether vans are different from cars in this respect but in a car if your front tyres grip better than the rears & you brake very hard in the wet your front wheels do indeed stop better, but since the back end doesn't do so well the tail of the vehicle tries to overtake the front & we know what that results in - on a bicycle you somersault over the handlebar, in a car you spin wildly out of control.
You might want better tyres on the front, if they are the driven wheels, for getting through mud but for anything else it's probably not the best choice.
(There's a nice video demo on youtube.)

the fronts do most of the work on any vehicle as they do the steering and of course, most of the braking, front brakes are bigger as you have weight transfer so they load up, there are rear wheel drives as well, but mostly they follow the fronts these days, brakes are smaller too.

I had the new Cross Climate Camping 215/70R15 tyres fitted last year. We've only done a couple thousand miles since and the tyres look much like they did when new. Surprisingly quiet and great grip in all weather, what's not to like.

FYI - I was asked by my local ProTyre that I provide my own high pressure valves. I bought 4 of the the Schrader tr600 from EuroCarparts.

1685460504088.png

What pressure are you running them at?

Not checked ours since we got it over two years ago, but they look and feel a bit on the hard side.

Another vote for Cross Climate Campers, however we found them very hard and unforgiving until we got the pressures sorted. Depending on load we are running 45-50 psi on the front axle and 60-65 psi on the rear with a much more comfortable ride. Pretty much the same as Michelin advised for our old Agilis campers and based on actual axle loading. Will be keeping a close eye on how they wear, don't want to be coughing up that sort of money anytime soon for a set of 4 🤔😬

Now the last time you want abroad, did anyone check the brand and tyre tread depth in the tyres fitted to your motorhome? Either When you arrived or BEFORE you left? Without a starting point, no comparison is possible to begin with.
This discussion about importation of the tyres when fitted abroad and the driver apparently declaring it was just farcical.
Ignore the UK/EU thing. Why isn't the same person making the point that if tyres were fitted in a non-EU country the same could apply (and even if UK was in EU)?
Answer is he cannot let go of the past and will grasp at anything to keep it alive.

Move on. Nothing to see here.
I bought 2 new tyres in Switzerland due to a blowout and a dodgy spare.
Expensive.
But I gave no thought to "declaring then" on our return to Uk.
So far in many years of travel we have only been stopped once.
That by a very smart and polite officer.
Only needed to show V5C and Insurance. 3 minutes

I was stopped and looked inside at the Andorra to Spain customs point when I accidentally (I promise it was not intentional) missed the huge backlog of traffic waiting to go through the stop point and took the lorry lane in error. The guard asked me to open my wardrobe door and then let us go. I reckon I saved 15-20 minutes the cars had to wait :cool:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back