“Rant”

Give way to vehicles coming uphill (see highway code)

I agree with all of those with the exception of the one above.

If you are going steeply down hill on a narrow road and someone comes in the opposite direction then in a lot of cases it is far more prudent for the person coming up hill to stop or even reverse back, most especially if your vehicle is long and wide and even towing a trailer.

I would not drive at night in highlands - more chance of writing off the vehicle hitting a stag!

Having a lot of experience including most of the other drivers, driving our campers around the uk. Now that we have a bit more freedom with the virus on the back foot, I have just come back from a week in the highlands & found an increasing number of incompetent camper/ Motorhome drivers who seem to have jumped out of the family car & off with the hired camper. Especially the guy I met on a single track road, who did not know about the use of passing places + could not use his mirrors to reverse, I must admit, it was a laugh to watch. When is the DVLA going to make it compulsory for drivers to have a certificate to show that they are capable of being in control of their vehicle. Also Camper/Motorhome hire company’s should also be held responsible as well. Rant over 🤬🤬
There’s plenty of driverS out there Who can’t control their cars never mind a Motorhome, me personally I wouldn’t be happy having to get a certificate to drive a Motorhome after forking our for all the other licences. Main problem on the road is complacency and ignorance.

People know in advance on that route. Here, it comes out of the blue. To see the panic on some peoples faces you have to imagine they have never used reverse since they passed their test!
Must correct you. We didn't know in advance. Not that it was a problem, I can reverse.,

Fortunately for them the ferry staff are very helpful :rolleyes:

Having a lot of experience including most of the other drivers, driving our campers around the uk. Now that we have a bit more freedom with the virus on the back foot, I have just come back from a week in the highlands & found an increasing number of incompetent camper/ Motorhome drivers who seem to have jumped out of the family car & off with the hired camper. Especially the guy I met on a single track road, who did not know about the use of passing places + could not use his mirrors to reverse, I must admit, it was a laugh to watch. When is the DVLA going to make it compulsory for drivers to have a certificate to show that they are capable of being in control of their vehicle. Also Camper/Motorhome hire company’s should also be held responsible as well. Rant over 🤬🤬
They do, it`s called a driving licence!

What really gets me going is the fact that in the UK, once you have passed your basic driving test, from then on, unless anyone gets caught for doing something naughty that's it, you have your licence to kill !!

With the ever increasing levels of traffic on our roads, surely all people ought to made to sit a very thorough (far more stringent than the current test) re-test on something like a 5 yearly basis and by that I mean a very thorough eyesight test, an exacting reaction test and even proof that the person has the ability to reverse?

There isn't any need for HM government to introduce these tests, it should be down to the insurance companies................. and if you fail, tough luck, you fail and you can't drive again on the open road until such time as you have been able to pass the re-test. After all pilots have to do constantly re-assessed with annual medicals and such.

I don’t think more tests will do anything, yes traffic changes but if you are out in it all the time then you should change with it. It’s not that people don’t know what they should do in lots of cases it’s they don’t care.

A lot of people may not actually reverse from one year to the next never mind emergency stop or 3 point turns. It’s usually doing something that makes you better and confidence (not over confidence) plays a big part. If you are someone who quickly gets wound up you are likely to react very differently, add that to stepping out a little city car and wide city roads to jumping in a van on narrow or single track roads and it doesn’t bode well.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back