3 way V 12v compressor fridges

Doesn't apply to most of us I imagine.

Are they as reliable as domestic fridges?

I've never had to replace one at home other than them starting to get noisier or rusting.
Replaced the home one for a few silly reasons, which to fix would have been expensive in parts and had to weigh up pros and cons of wisdom of buying new non-operational parts for a 10+ year old fridge.

I guess you could turn round the question a bit ... How many threads do you see about a Compressor Fridge not working compared to questions on 3-way fridges not working? That could be an angle on the reliability of one type vs the other?

Wish I could get a compressor fridge for mine they don’t make them with a cut out for the wheel arch, and I don’t want to reduce from 80 litres to 50 just to accommodate
I’ve had constant problems with my 3 way on the gas side

Replaced the home one for a few silly reasons, which to fix would have been expensive in parts and had to weigh up pros and cons of wisdom of buying new non-operational parts for a 10+ year old fridge.

I guess you could turn round the question a bit ... How many threads do you see about a Compressor Fridge not working compared to questions on 3-way fridges not working? That could be an angle on the reliability of one type vs the other?
Yes, that makes sense, no brainer really if it packs up, the only other factor is the exterior size if needing a replacement.

Wish I could get a compressor fridge for mine they don’t make them with a cut out for the wheel arch, and I don’t want to reduce from 80 litres to 50 just to accommodate
I don't know what sizes are available, but there are compressor fridges with relocatable compressors designed for that kind of situation. Have a look at the Weaco RF range

I have noticed wheelarch models @jacksons leisure !
Whether they suit you ?

To be honest anything more than a lamp or most thermostats....

It's really really not worth bothering with...
Anything on the refrigerant side... Forget it and buy a new one

And I say that as a refrigeration engineer...
I wouldn't bother swapping a compressor even though it would cost me peanuts to do...

I was under the impression that the amount of gas an absorption fridge uses is minimal - certainly on the occasions when the gas cooker has gone out, I have been able to go outside and switch to the other bottle and the fridge has stayed lit. It can only have been using a small residue in the pipe. I also think that it works more efficiently on gas, it seems to get down to working temperature quicker.

For me it's not the cost of running, as you say minimal, but they are not and never really have been fit for purpose even in our normal summer temps.

My problem is diagnosing the fault it could be a number of things and by the time I’ve replaced the parts I could be looking at about £300 for a tatty fridge that’s 17 yrs old
I want a new one !
Too wide and too deep

For me it's not the cost of running, as you say minimal, but they are not and never really have been fit for purpose even in our normal summer temps.
Once upon a time people used gas absorbtion fridges in home kitchens...

They haven't done for a long long time....

Speaks volumes lol.

Truth is there are or were industrial process cooling systems that ran on the absorbtion process...
But most of those have gone now because the absorbtion process is so temperamental and energy inefficient...
Over to compresser based systems... And more and more so to inverter compressors...
With all the associated energy savings...

I'm surprised manufacturers haven't gone over to inverter compressors (variable speed so not just on/off)

BUT possibly not worth the extra costs/complication when most fixed speed 12v compressor only pull 4 amps or so.

My problem is diagnosing the fault it could be a number of things and by the time I’ve replaced the parts I could be looking at about £300 for a tatty fridge that’s 17 yrs old
I want a new one !

Too wide and too deep
I'm pretty sure that's not the ONLY wheel arch model that's available....
And, I'm afraid I haven't got the time to search for one that does fit...
I was merely pointing out that wheel archodels ARE available.

Once upon a time people used gas absorbtion fridges in home kitchens...

They haven't done for a long long time....

Speaks volumes lol.

Truth is there are or were industrial process cooling systems that ran on the absorbtion process...
But most of those have gone now because the absorbtion process is so temperamental and energy inefficient...
Over to compresser based systems... And more and more so to inverter compressors...
With all the associated energy savings...

I'm surprised manufacturers haven't gone over to inverter compressors (variable speed so not just on/off)

BUT possibly not worth the extra costs/complication when most fixed speed 12v compressor only pull 4 amps or so.
When I bought my last house it had a gas fridge which worked fine, and an old Parnell wringer washing machine which worked as it should, enamel kitchen sink and a old fashioned kitchen cabinet with the enamel-covered drop down work surface, a cast iron roll top bath which was too small really and the most beautiful victorian wash basin I'd pushed my self to buy it so I used them for a couple of years, when I wanted to replace them I couldn't give them away I tried everywhere even props companies as they were almost in as new condition, I ended up getting a skip.

Doesn't that put a strain on everything such as charging and discharging etc.

Yes of course, but (not knowing your set-up & me being thick) batteries have limited cycles I thought.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back