3 way V 12v compressor fridges

Well that's ok then :D :D

What about night time noise levels if/when they kick in?
I hardly ever notice if my fridge is running in fact I sometimes open the door and check freezer to make sure it’s still going. Odd times if I have been up for a pee in middle of the night I may just hear it come on but I have to think about it, it’s a very quiet hum. All that said my ears aren’t yours and I do have hearing loss when there is background noise and some frequencies. I don’t think it apples to middle of the night in silent areas though. 👍
I was under the impression that the amount of gas an absorption fridge uses is minimal - certainly on the occasions when the gas cooker has gone out, I have been able to go outside and switch to the other bottle and the fridge has stayed lit. It can only have been using a small residue in the pipe. I also think that it works more efficiently on gas, it seems to get down to working temperature quicker.
Most of the time a fridge running is about the same as a gas lighter, very little gas used by a fridge. One good reason not to replace a perfectly working 3 way. It’s more if you are looking at replacing a faulty unit or building new that most people would look at compressor fridges I would think. I certainly wouldn’t rip out a 3 way if it was working well and I had one fitted in the first place 👍

I hardly ever notice if my fridge is running in fact I sometimes open the door and check freezer to make sure it’s still going. Odd times if I have been up for a pee in middle of the night I may just hear it come on but I have to think about it, it’s a very quiet hum. All that said my ears aren’t yours and I do have hearing loss when there is background noise and some frequencies. I don’t think it apples to middle of the night in silent areas though. 👍

Most of the time a fridge running is about the same as a gas lighter, very little gas used by a fridge. One good reason not to replace a perfectly working 3 way. It’s more if you are looking at replacing a faulty unit or building new that most people would look at compressor fridges I would think. I certainly wouldn’t rip out a 3 way if it was working well and I had one fitted in the first place 👍
When I bought my new-to-me Motorhome it had a Thetford N180 large 3-Way Fridge with AES. (AES to me is a must-have on a 3-way for me. I would never remember to switch it from 12V when driving to gas when stopped. Or from 240V when on hookup after disconnecting).

Seemed to be fine and working and I had no plans to replace it, but I found after a while it would not relight on the gas reliably. Cleaned the burner assy and adjusted the position of the igniter (this was the key) and that sorted that issue out. Then found it was not cooling properly for reasons unknown.
Various ideas such as the usual "turn upside down" trick.
However, this last one was enough to decide to stop messing around with a 14 year old Fridge and just replace it with something from more current times.
Took it out with the help of Streetsleep Rae (man, it was a tight fit - had to take the rubbers off the hab door to make the opening slight wider and it just scraped through the door!)
New Compressor Fridge of a very similar size (approx 1.5" narrower and 1.5" shorter) fitted and been working perfectly for a year now (fitted middle of last August in fact). Turning the old Thetford upside down for a week and then righting it did get it working again when I tested it so that was handy as I sold it on for a similar amount that I paid for the brand new Compressor Fridge so result being ended up with a new much more efficient fridge at minimal cost.

When I bought my new-to-me Motorhome it had a Thetford N180 large 3-Way Fridge with AES. (AES to me is a must-have on a 3-way for me. I would never remember to switch it from 12V when driving to gas when stopped. Or from 240V when on hookup after disconnecting).

Seemed to be fine and working and I had no plans to replace it, but I found after a while it would not relight on the gas reliably. Cleaned the burner assy and adjusted the position of the igniter (this was the key) and that sorted that issue out. Then found it was not cooling properly for reasons unknown.
Various ideas such as the usual "turn upside down" trick.
However, this last one was enough to decide to stop messing around with a 14 year old Fridge and just replace it with something from more current times.
Took it out with the help of Streetsleep Rae (man, it was a tight fit - had to take the rubbers off the hab door to make the opening slight wider and it just scraped through the door!)
New Compressor Fridge of a very similar size (approx 1.5" narrower and 1.5" shorter) fitted and been working perfectly for a year now (fitted middle of last August in fact). Turning the old Thetford upside down for a week and then righting it did get it working again when I tested it so that was handy as I sold it on for a similar amount that I paid for the brand new Compressor Fridge so result being ended up with a new much more efficient fridge at minimal cost.
Yes just checked,
With the habitation door rubbers off there appears to be about 5mm leeway.
replacement marginally smaller.
On Ehu last night. Then 12v whilst travelling today and now on gas.
All is well fridge at 7 freezer at -17.
But I have the plan if necessary !

I just leave my fridge running all the time even at home on the drive .It give the batteries and the solar something to do .
Same here....

Though I drop the hook up lead onto it occasionally if we've not been away for a few weekends in winter...

Other than that locked and loaded with wine/beer ready for the off at any time.

One of the biggest advantages for me as can't be doing with unpacking/repacking the fridge every trip.

Yes just checked,
With the habitation door rubbers off there appears to be about 5mm leeway.
replacement marginally smaller.
On Ehu last night. Then 12v whilst travelling today and now on gas.
All is well fridge at 7 freezer at -17.
But I have the plan if necessary !
I asked Rae to pop over to help me remove the fridge as he is generally very good at coming up with solutions to unusual and awkward situations :) I was quite expecting to have to take one of the front cab seats out and manhandle the fridge out the front, but it just went through the hab door, but it was so tight a white sticky label on the side of the fridge peeled off as it slid out!
good numbers on the temps there. It is useful to know how consistant they are (and that the freezer is not defrosting and and refreezing without you knowing).
1661005632912.png

Our Waeco compressor cool box is silent (we use it in freezer mode)

The only noise The 240v fridge makes is a very quiet 'ping' as the thermostat kicks out...
Only detectable when you are somewhere completely silent...
First time I noticed it was up at a CS near Slaidburn the other weekend...
Only because it was so quiet I thought I gone (even more) deaf overnight.

Other than that it's been a fantastic upgrade..
So much more useable space inside the 240v than the 3 way one it replaced.

Screenshot_20220817-144033_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20220817-144019_Chrome.jpg

Our Waeco compressor cool box is silent (we use it in freezer mode)

The only noise The 240v fridge makes is a very quiet 'ping' as the thermostat kicks out...
Only detectable when you are somewhere completely silent...
First time I noticed it was up at a CS near Slaidburn the other weekend...
Only because it was so quiet I thought I gone (even more) deaf overnight.

Other than that it's been a fantastic upgrade..
So much more useable space inside the 240v than the 3 way one it replaced.

View attachment 64206View attachment 64207
I se you have the same mats as us lolol.

How do you make a Kangaroo behave in your van?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back