A new tablet ? Which one

Thanks to all for the posts especialy those with Samsung or Lenovo tablets
Lenovo wins

I found the Amazon Fire Tablet just too limiting in the way they make it so hard to install anything that is not in their own marketplace.
Yes, there are ways round it and side-loading and this and that yadda yadda yadda but sometimes you want to buy something and have the darn thing just work!

Something went wrong with it anyway and I sent it back to John Lewis after about 15 months and got the Lenovo instead, costing me a tenner for the swap.

Item​
Action​
Item Price​
Quantity​
Total​
Amazon Fire HD 10 Tablet, Quad-core, Fire OS, 10.1", Wi-Fi, 16GB, Silver​
Collection *​
-£169.95​
1​
-£169.95​
Lenovo Yoga TAB3 10, Qualcomm APQ8009, Android, Wi-Fi, 2GB RAM, 16GB, 10.1" HD, Black​
Delivery: Standard delivery within 5 working days ***​
£179.95​
1​
£179.95​
Total​
£10.00​

Sounds interesting - but access denied for UK :(
OK
BrandLenovo
ModelTab M10 TB-X605LC
ProcessorQualcomm Snapdragon 450 (8C, 8x A53 @ 1.8GHz)
GPUIntegrated Qualcomm Adreno 506 GPU
Ram4GB Soldered
Rom64GB eMMC
Memory cardMicroSD card (Up to 256GB)
Display10.1 "IPS 320nits
Resolution1920x1200 (FHD)
Front CameraFront 5.0MP
Back CameraRear 8.0MP
I / O InterfacesMicro USB
AudioDual front speakers with Dolby Atoms / single microphone, 3.5mm combo audio / microphone jack
Network802.11 a / b / g / n / ac, 1x1, dual-band (2.4GHz & 5GHz)
BluetoothVer 4.2
2GUMTS: B1 / 2/5/8, B1 / 8 (801LV)
3GFDD-LTE: B1 / 3/5/7/8/19/20/26, B1 / 3/8 (801LV)
4GTDD-LTE: B38 / 39/40/41, B41 (801LV)
SensorG-sensor
L-sensor
Satellite Map System (GPS)ROW: GPS + GLONASS; PRC: GPS + Beidou
Operating SystemAndroid Pie
Battery7000mAh
SIMsingle Nano-SIM card
Function calls.None

1616144662829.png
Home / Smartphone & tablet / Tablet / Tablet 10.1 "(4g 64gb) lenovo tab (tb-x605lc) black

My likely purchase is
Here in Thailand 6,400 baht is £155 or so
Has good specs including a sim card slot
Something to be aware of (and is getting quite common) ... The SIM slot is shared with the SD Card slot - so it is an either/or option you can use, but you cannot have both installed at the same time.
My phone is like that.. install a 2nd SIM OR a Micro-SD.

Something to be aware of (and is getting quite common) ... The SIM slot is shared with the SD Card slot - so it is an either/or option you can use, but you cannot have both installed at the same time.
Ok thanks, Good to know.
My phone has 2 sim cards and Memory
I will tether the tablet to my phone (ALMOST 100%) SO the sim card is of little use to me
It might be used in an emergency..but unlikely
My reading of the spec is not clear as to whether the slot is ONLY for one or the other
Yes the Memory card is essential for data but I have seen other similar tablets with no Sim card
Not a worry

Ok thanks, Good to know.
My phone has 2 sim cards and Memory
I will tether the tablet to my phone (ALMOST 100%) SO the sim card is of little use to me
It might be used in an emergency..but unlikely
My reading of the spec is not clear as to whether the slot is ONLY for one or the other
Yes the Memory card is essential for data but I have seen other similar tablets with no Sim card
Not a worry
It is not clear at all, you are right, but in the diagram showing all the connections #3 (I think it was) is shown for both devices.

Out of interest, after reading the info I had a look at the MicroSD slot on my own Lenovo and I am not using it (couldn't remember if I used it) and never noticed a problem. (IIRC, I had a problem with the Fire HD microSD card slot - it kept dismounting and then apps wouldn't run or data couldn't be found - this put me off using SD Cards a bit).

I used to have a iPad and updated that later to one with a SIM Slot - not because I wanted to use it with a SIM, but the chip set Apple uses (and maybe other makers?) had a combined 3G (at the time) and some kind of GPS capability, so even without a SIM fitted and in standalone mode, the Location Mapping was pretty good. Moving on a few years I guess native GPS is maybe fitted anyway?

Reactions: Alf
On all the samsung mobile devices i have had GPS works 100% with no sim card or connected wi-fi
Not much use otherwise

Maps.me works 100% with no connections
AND GPS loggers/trackers
and Geotagging photos

Lenovo on order so tomorrow or Wednesday £150/
PC we may be able to get private jab and certificate here perhaps 1 month then again 1 month
Need to have certificate as well for getting back ! Happy to delay our unplanned return to UK etc

Reactions: Rec
Lenovo arrived and all vg
Very fast. Hoping it will do all I need when in the motorhome.
A few weeks to trial etc.
With an otg connector I plan to upload photos from camera cards to the cloud. Or a big memory stick.

Yes 1 slot only....extra memory suits me

Minor info.
  • Tablet working well and I now know not to close apps as multitasking is ok
  • Only 1 drawer to open but it has 2 slots so sim and memory both Ok
  • I use a drive synch app which synchs 1 of my Google drive folders and subfolders
  • If connected I can see them all but I do not need them all offline
Any suggestions for an office substitute (android)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back