About to fit ALDE Heat Exchange to a new Peugeot camper

Trek

Free Member

Any one out there with the Alde heat exchanger fitted to a 2018 Peugeot camper ?

( or even FIAT OR Citroen )

I would like to double check where your connections are to the engine cooling system

I have fitted several heat exchangers to boats. The hot supply should be taken before the engine thermostat, ie where your heater hose comes from or T into heater hoses. the return goes into the engine block lower down near radiator bottom hose or wherever there is a tapping, or T into return heater hose. It’s best to find a separate feed than the heater hoses as the heater will not perform at its best because of less water flow.

Thanks Lefty

I was planning on tee’ing into the dash heater matrix via the two pipe hoses on top of engine before they disappear into bulk head

So heat exchanger in parallel with dash heater

Just concerned that due to length of hoses required to drop down to heat exchanger location and back (round trip of 6m plus narrowing through HE) then the coolant will take the route of least resistance via the original dash heater

Radiator option possibly difficult ? Would need to get a tee of those hoses as they tend to be larger

Instead of tee to the dash board heater, could you not send it directly to the heat exchanger then back via the dash heater?

This would be only one cut into the pipe and path of least resistance would be eliminated.
But your habitable driving area would take a lot longer to heat up!
Not sure just a thought.

Problem of teeing of before stat is it takes very long for the engine to warm up esp winter which in turn will wear it out very fast and lower fuel consumtion,also no use when camping as engine of,better to buy a proper oil or gas heater.
If you do wish to go down this avenue then a engine ex heat exchanger is the way to go,but you will require a secondry pump either belt driven or electric.

Hi Jays

By making the one cut you are referring to is effectively placing the heat exchanger in series with the dash heater matrix

This was my first choice BUT the Peugeot heater pipe is 20mm inside diameter and the connections on the Alde heat exchanger are 16mm but this is further restricted by the ball O fix vale on the HE which is probably only 8mm in diameter So I was concerned that I would be consticting the coolant flow too much

hi Trevskoda

Well you are right about the engine taking a long time to warm up

These new diesel engines dont have much waste heat do they Thats why a lot of upmarket diesel cars have an auxiliary disel fuelled heater ( that probably most owners aren’t aware that they have )

The older Alde instuctions I have show the connections around the dash heater matrix the latest one shows the connections either side of the engine radiator so only effective once thermostat opens

This is why i have asked all you knowledgeable people for advice

P.S. this heat exchanger will be used to heat the motorcaravan Alde system while driving in winter it isn’t for heat while static

P.S. this heat exchanger will be used to heat the motorcaravan Alde system while driving in winter it isn’t for heat while static

I have a heat exchanger fitted to the pipes going to my calorifier, couldn’t tell you how well it works as I have never remembered to switch the fan on when travelling :)

Saying that cab heater soon heats up all the van when we are moving so never really needed it

Aah but Nabsim you have a Sprinter not one of those draughty Sevel cabs and a UK built camper conversion full of holes that’s probably why your nice and wam just from the cab heater

Aah but Nabsim you have a Sprinter not one of those draughty Sevel cabs and a UK built camper conversion full of holes that’s probably why your nice and wam just from the cab heater
Okay I am not going to get any further into this one lol

If I remember to I can see if I can spot where the pipes come off if it’s any use :)

Thanks for the offer Nabsim I too have a sprinter and familiar enough with its coolant system and the eberspacher and heat exchanger

Its these Sevel vans I wanted 2nd or 3rd opinions on for plumbing in the heat exchanger into the campers Alde system
( camper side already done)

hi Trevskoda

Well you are right about the engine taking a long time to warm up

These new diesel engines dont have much waste heat do they Thats why a lot of upmarket diesel cars have an auxiliary disel fuelled heater ( that probably most owners aren’t aware that they have )

The older Alde instuctions I have show the connections around the dash heater matrix the latest one shows the connections either side of the engine radiator so only effective once thermostat opens

This is why i have asked all you knowledgeable people for advice

A better course of action would then to fit a 1000w inverter and connect a 1000w electric fan heater or two 500w convectors in rear,i have one there good we jobs.convector heater.png

You can always use the Alde system to payback and heat up your engine!

I would speak to the people at Alde re the best route/connection, they may have come across this question before.

Yes if i fit a pump on the engine side i would be able to prewarm the engine from the Alde system

I have been thinking that i should ask Alde , would have asked them at the NEC in Feb but cant wait that long

Don’t know how receptive they are regarding phone or email technical enquires from joe public

For info i have attached some webasto installation instructions for a Fiat Ducato 2006 models

Shows the coolant connections if i were adding a heat source as in the webasto heater

Attachments

• 1_sv_fiat_ducato_250_husbil_2006-_engelska_9015695f.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
Yes if i fit a pump on the engine side i would be able to prewarm the engine from the Alde system

I have been thinking that i should ask Alde , would have asked them at the NEC in Feb but cant wait that long

Don’t know how receptive they are regarding phone or email technical enquires from joe public

Give them a try, you have nothing to lose.

I've had some surprisingly good reactions to technical questions over the phone, notably one from Propex.

Interesting thread. We have a factory fitted habitation blower that takes heat from the engine on our Eura Mobil, I do not know if it is fed by a wet or dry system (must investigate), but effective it is. :)
When I had a VW van I was considering fitting a small domestic radiator fed from the engine, but "considering" was as far as I got.

Hi,I have a 57 plate Burstner delfin 700 fitted with a travel heater,which appears to be Tee'd off the cab heater pipes to a heat exchanger with a heat control slide and a 2 speed fan and it is brilliant.

Job completed a couple of weeks ago , just been waiting for some feedback from them as to how it’s working

I have been told the ALDE heat exchanger works well and my friends find that the rear warms up nicely when driving, with no change in the heat from the cab blowers

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back