air bag light on

cheyenne

Free Member

hi guys . got the light come leaving Calais early morning i have read & watched you tube got my own theory on this anyone had the light come on . cheyenne

It's said that you shouldn't start the motor until all the warning lights extinguish.

We I used to do that.

But eventually I got the percentage air bag light on permanently.

You can get the ECU ( It's under the passenger foot well) repaired at a company called Crashdata.

But I chose to have a new ECU installed. Local Fiat professional dealer wanted £1000 plus. So instead I used Essenjay of Poole- a lot cheaper but still painful.

Anyway they fitted a new one which interestingly has a different product code when compared to older ECU. Also they said that since using the newer versions they had not had any "returns". You can draw your own conclusions but I know what think about Fiat's suppliers of the original ECU!!

It's said that you shouldn't start the motor until all the warning lights extinguish.

We I used to do that.

But eventually I got the percentage air bag light on permanently.

You can get the ECU ( It's under the passenger foot well) repaired at a company called Crashdata.
I have heard various things about Crashdata. If it solves the problem, good. But if the fault comes back, you are back to square one and their service has zero guarantee so money paid so far is gone and wasted.

But I chose to have a new ECU installed. Local Fiat professional dealer wanted £1000 plus. So instead I used Essenjay of Poole- a lot cheaper but still painful.

Anyway they fitted a new one which interestingly has a different product code when compared to older ECU. Also they said that since using the newer versions they had not had any "returns". You can draw your own conclusions but I know what think about Fiat's suppliers of the original ECU!!

Is that £1000 for an ECU that just does the airbags???

I would blank the bulb and if that wasn’t acceptable fit a timer on feed to/from it to the bulb

Is that £1000 for an ECU that just does the airbags???

I would blank the bulb and if that wasn’t acceptable fit a timer on feed to/from it to the bulb
The testers are wise to this 'workaround' (depending on the competence/diligence of the individual :) )

The quote from Fiat was supply & fitting the ecu. As said Essenjay were cheaper.

Apparently there is another company who also repair the ECU via post - both companies provide instructions how to access and remove the ECU. Me, well I'm not faint hearted, but I'd rather someone competent to delve into that sort of area.

I suppose my only retort to "blanking" the indicator light with an indicator powered in " series" is that (as I understand it) that if an air bag is fitted then it must pass an MOT inspection.

Do you have swivel seats? It might be something as simple as the wire getting caught on the carpet whilst you swivel the seat and setting a fault code as an intermittent problem , I’ve had this in both sprinters and a 2010 Ducato

The quote from Fiat was supply & fitting the ecu. As said Essenjay were cheaper.

Apparently there is another company who also repair the ECU via post - both companies provide instructions how to access and remove the ECU. Me, well I'm not faint hearted, but I'd rather someone competent to delve into that sort of area.

I suppose my only retort to "blanking" the indicator light with an indicator powered in " series" is that (as I understand it) that if an air bag is fitted then it must pass an MOT inspection.
Removing and replacing the ECU is fairly simple.
The difficult bit is accepting that such a simple condition (low battery voltage) can result in such a part failure - and such an expensive one at that. Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot should be ashamed of that design.

We've had the air bag fault, it is normally a low battery voltage that causes it, but it can be a problem with the seat belt tensioners. If you know a mechanic who can identify the fault code with a reader that would be my suggestion, just to eliminate any other reason. There are a couple of firms in the north west who will re-program the ECU by return. Its an easy removal/replacement.

I Had mine done by Crash Test data and they guarantee it for life. Quick turn around about £70 and about 3 days from posting to them. I know at least a dozen people who have used them without a problem. Spoke to someone who used fiat for same problem they had van for a few weeks at a cost of more than £500. Seem there’s an inbuilt fault usually appears around 2 3 years old.

I Had mine done by Crash Test data and they guarantee it for life.
Interesting. I had seen comments about guarantee lasts until you get the unit fitted, so good to hear otherwise (y)

Quick turn around about £70 and about 3 days from posting to them. I know at least a dozen people who have used them without a problem. Spoke to someone who used fiat for same problem they had van for a few weeks at a cost of more than £500. Seem there’s an inbuilt fault usually appears around 2 3 years old.

hi guys thanks for your input yes i have seen all the you tube vid's .crashdata said if the problem was NOT the ECU they would only charge £17 for checking it which then could be the wires under the seat ??:unsure: on to my other thread here is the readout from my swift command unit & you can see the battery dropped down on the morning of the 29th dont know why but the m/h is 5 years old & the battery could be 6 or 7 years old .cheyenne

Screenshot 2023-10-25 082007.png

thanks for that just working out the battery could be 6 or 7 years old going back to fiat putting in in the cab then sending it to swift . so we have made our minds up NEW battery any makes come to your minds guys not sure but its a 110AH .cheyenne

hi its a MOT failure .cheyenne

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back