Air compressor

Interesting stuff, my neighbour (4x4 man) has just been to Lidl’s and come back with an air kit which includes a tyre inflator and a blow gun for the amazing price of £6.99!
I have checked and the connectors fit my compressor. 👍
Machine Mart do various connectors for compressed air if you are stuck.

Thanks Wully, yes this kit is Parkside. I would like to get my hands on their Impact Driver when it comes around again, fantastic for checking wheelnuts.
I wouldn’t rely on an impact wrench giving you the correct torque, good for running up nuts to near the required torque and then finish off with a torque wrench. I think the only precise torque tightening devices are used by major vehicle assemblers.

Thanks Wully, yes this kit is Parkside. I would like to get my hands on their Impact Driver when it comes around again, fantastic for checking wheelnuts.
I have the Impact Wrench kit from LIDL and IIRC my compressor (similar one to yours) didn't have enough oomph to undo the wheel nuts (the reason I bought the wrench :( ). I did have an air gun for nuts when I had my much bigger compressor and that was great

Interesting stuff, my neighbour (4x4 man) has just been to Lidl’s and come back with an air kit which includes a tyre inflator and a blow gun for the amazing price of £6.99!
I have checked and the connectors fit my compressor. 👍
Good Stuff. those connectors are getting the most popular I think. I use that kit and it is very good.
Note that the Nailer that was linked to earlier has a different connector....

Machine Mart do various connectors for compressed air if you are stuck.
Things may have changed, but when I went to Machine Mart to get some connectors they didn't have any of the Full Flow/Euro type .

Good Stuff. those connectors are getting the most popular I think. I use that kit and it is very good.
Note that the Nailer that was linked to earlier has a different connector....

Things may have changed, but when I went to Machine Mart to get some connectors they didn't have any of the Full Flow/Euro type .
As you say things may have changed as it is a few years ago since I bought some from MM.

I use Lidl or Aldi tools with my compressor, I only used expensive tools in my workshop but for home use it doesn't warrant it, both shops give a 3yr warranty and even I don't have that View attachment 43557
Nice to hear from you Tel, hope you are both ok.
I intend to concentrate on Lidl/Aldi tools as they come out, to build a useful collection of hobby tools, thanks for your I put.
If you can stop Maggi talking for two minutes, give her a kiss from me. 😀

I wouldn’t rely on an impact wrench giving you the correct torque, good for running up nuts to near the required torque and then finish off with a torque wrench. I think the only precise torque tightening devices are used by major vehicle assemblers.
Ok thanks for that, I just thought that all the nuts would have the same torque. Not quite the same thing I know.

I was also thinking about getting a compressor at one point but then realised that I already had a very high quality one on the side of my engine, must get around to putting an outlet in one of the air tanks.

I was also thinking about getting a compressor at one point but then realised that I already had a very high quality one on the side of my engine, must get around to putting an outlet in one of the air tanks.
Good thinking Mark, but I presume you have to have your engine running when you want to use it?
Actually some trucks have a take off somewhere, to pump your own tyres up. Have a look round the cab area.🤞

Good thinking Mark, but I presume you have to have your engine running when you want to use it?
Actually some trucks have a take off somewhere, to pump your own tyres up. Have a look round the cab area.🤞
I suppose so for any extended use but i do have a couple of largish air tanks as the rear suspension is on airbags, but would only take a few minutes to refill the tanks , I'll take a look for a take off but havn't noticed one so far ideally would like a tap on the tank with a quick fit coupling at least then if the coupling leaked at anytime it could be isolated

air tanks may need inflating from another compressor to operate brakes if the one on the van goes wrong, so might have a shrader valve on one of them . on my old bus i had to lie down and reach under to connect a pipe to it , but it was worth it

On my Volvo unit, there was Schroeder Valve inside the cab, and it came with a length of rubber pipe long enough to top up the tyres.

I couldn't agree more about the usual Mickey Mouse 12 volt compressors and of course a mains operated unit makes them look really silly... But sometimes you need something small and reliable that will do the job and of industrial strength. Check these out: https://evpartssale.co.uk/EV_ENOVA_SMITH_EDISON_PUMPS.html

They're not brand new and dearer than a new mains unit but are superb. I use one for inflating tyres when away from home and the same unit to provide a vacuum to lift oil from one tank to another. You have to make up the accessories but as said, they are a proper commercial 12 volt unit.

Last edited:
This one retailed at £79.99 including delivery. Ok I have to buy a couple of extras in order to check my tyres, but at least I can now leave for every trip knowing that tyres are one less thing to worry about. Plus it means that I can keep the engine bay free from dust and leaves etc.
And take up paint spraying

I couldn't agree more about the usual Mickey Mouse 12 volt compressors and of course a mains operated unit makes them look really silly... But sometimes you need something small and reliable that will do the job and of industrial strength. Check these out: https://evpartssale.co.uk/EV_ENOVA_SMITH_EDISON_PUMPS.html

They're not brand new and dearer than a new mains unit but are superb. I use one for inflating tyres when away from home and the same unit to provide a vacuum to lift oil from one tank to another. You have to make up the accessories but as said, they are a proper commercial 12 volt unit.
Looks brilliant for carrying around in the van, but very expensive. Thanks for the link. 👍
Careful windy guns over tighten wheel nuts
Thanks for that Baz. I’ll be careful.

Hi Rog, you can set the gun torque so that you don't over tighten anything
ps. show Chris post #30 with the photo that frightened me, she will understand :D

Using comps in my biz i can tell you that at 9 cfm you aint going to be using many air tools,maybe a air stapple gun or a small good gravity spray gun like a iwata side cup with 1.5 fluid nozel or a parafin gun,forget air wrenches as 20/25 cfm is min,we were using 25 in w/shop to spray using a binks 630 gun.