Air line

I'll check again, but I've spent a bit of time under the truck and haven't seen a Schrader valve anywhere. Cheers all!

if you have air ,or air assist brakes, then any leakage ,in my experience, causes the brakes to come on, immobilising the vehicle . if yours has this feature, then it must have a way of allowing the brakes to be pumped up and releasing . i had this in France when my compressor had a hiccup. so it has to be easy to find and connect to ,even for a Frenchman !

Quite a few trucks have the point at the front under front access "bonnet" down near chassis rail so the recovery truck can connect easily

Was thinking about carrying a 3ltr x 3000 psi dive bottle in stead of a spare Terry what you think mate ?.

I thought about tapping into one of my air tanks for blowing up tyres but never realised there may already be an existing point,must have a closer look underneath,or God forbid read the instructions manual.

Whats your next meet Terry and how big is the bottle size wise was thinking of fixing it under my drivers seat as there is nothing there at the mo.

I thought about tapping into one of my air tanks for blowing up tyres but never realised there may already be an existing point,must have a closer look underneath,or God forbid read the instructions manual.
If it's anything like the mercs each tank and system should have a pressure test point. You can buy fittings where you can take air from these. Though most of the ones on the tanks should allow to take air, your only supposed to use the one at the end of the line. Or inflating your tyres could apply your brakes.

Was thinking about carrying a 3ltr x 3000 psi dive bottle in stead of a spare Terry what you think mate ?.

Wouldn't fancy being your tyres! Reckon it'd be far too easy to overinflate tyres with a divers bottle & probably blow em clean off the rim. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.. Lot of my old trucks had a takeoff point in the dash & we used to get the coiled suzi hose & blowgun to plug in to clean dust off the cab interior...

tyre.jpg
I carry a repair kit that has this in it (use it when Im out in the motorbike).
Much smaller than carrying a length of hose. One of the little cylinders will inflate a totally flat (motorbike) tyre so possibly you might have to use two or even three on a van tyre, but still less hassle than pinching air from another tyre.

Jeff have you checked with your breakdown insurance to see if they expect you to carry a spare? I have one so not checked mine but believe some insist you have one. I know I was asked if I had one when I got the blowout but no idea what would have happened if I had said no, may have just sent recovery truck, may have become expensive.

Jeff have you checked with your breakdown insurance to see if they expect you to carry a spare? I have one so not checked mine but believe some insist you have one. I know I was asked if I had one when I got the blowout but no idea what would have happened if I had said no, may have just sent recovery truck, may have become expensive.
Never checked Neal

Never checked Neal
May be worth having a read or calling them? The last few new cars I have had didn’t have spares so presumably this trend may have been taken up with motorhome manufacturers. May be different for bigger heavier coach builds as well but better to find out before you need to with breakdowns.
In the last ten years the only tyre problems I have had were two damaged side wall cuts in cars (problem using country lanes with stone walls) and the blow out last year on motorhome. None of these were fixable, cars were recovered but I had spare for van.

I’ve heard that some recovery organisations won’t assist if you aren’t carrying a spare. How true that is I don’t know but I’m not prepared to try it. In addition I’d hate to be stuck somewhere late-o-clock on a bank holiday in Europe halfway down a mountain without at least a spare to put on. I used to carry just a spare tyre alone so that I could get it fitted in an emergency. I don’t carry the equipment to change a wheel, but that’s what AA cover is for.

There say these BFGoodrich all terrain tyre are bomb proof Neil .Fingers crossed.
Ha ha, hope you are right, having worked many years in a quarry I have seen tyres over one storey tall blow through stone cuts. If you are sticking to roads a meet fields they should be bomb proof though but if you are going to off road...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back