Aires in France with toilets.

andysm

Free Member

Has anyone any suggestions for aires in France with toilets that are open overnight? Yes, well aware of the condition of some of them but only have a campervan and would like to do a bit of touring without the cost of campsites every night. Park4night etc show some but would appreciate any info from people who have used them (or stayed on aires where they are available

Open to suggestions. Will be in champagne area mid May, Bordeaux towards end of May. Return via Dieppe mid June.

You are looking for hen's teeth. Many aires are within easy reach of public toilets,cafe/supermarket etc so not a problem during the day. Have you considered a Portapoty or similar?

Last edited:
Only a few have toilets and many of them are shut out of season say Oct to May and I wouldn't like to be depending on others being useable or in a state fit to use.
You need to have a plan B say you arrive at a aire bursting to use the toilet and its closed France is a big country
Have you considered a Portapoty or similar?
Good suggestion

Last edited:
Plus one for the portapotty. Or the poly bag, bucket, cat litter, bin it idea. A lot of the American van dwellers use this. Not every van dweller has a 40ft RV. There’s a lot of people living in vans through necessity not for recreation.
Check out YouTube, CheapRVliving. There’s not a lot Bob Wells doesn’t know about van life.

You will severely hamper your travels if you want to rely on Aires with toilets just get a porta poti and use that very hygienic. The French are experts at wild peeing and they do not hide away when doing it and that is just the females hee hee, even a bucket with a lid will suffi ce for you, bucket and chuckit as they say.

I think people who randomly dispose of bodily waste are the ones that make life harder for the clean living. If you can afford to go away you can afford to invest in some kind of sensible toilet. I don't know how many of you are travelling, but two people should be able to go three days without needing to empty. When the time comes go to a camp sites to dispose of your waste, whilst at it take advantage of the showers and fresh water.

Just a thought.

Has anyone any suggestions for aires in France with toilets that are open overnight? Yes, well aware of the condition of some of them but only have a campervan and would like to do a bit of touring without the cost of campsites every night. Park4night etc show some but would appreciate any info from people who have used them (or stayed on aires where they are available
I can only think of one or two places where I have noticed public toilets at aires and have not needed to check whether they're open overnight. You might try looking at http://www.campingcar-infos.com/Francais/cci.php?pays=FRANCE and selecting a département of interest. Then untick icons for the types of location that are not of interest (services only, aires on autoroutes, campsites, etc.) and try clicking on aires in locations of interest and then looking lower down the page to see what facilities are available. You will be looking for the WC icon with male and female figures (not the WC icon with cassette emptying). Any use?

They are very similar to rocking horse excrement and the ones you find have probably been used by them, my suggestion is to buy a porta potti as has been suggested before.

I think people who randomly dispose of bodily waste are the ones that make life harder for the clean living. If you can afford to go away you can afford to invest in some kind of sensible toilet. I don't know how many of you are travelling, but two people should be able to go three days without needing to empty. When the time comes go to a camp sites to dispose of your waste, whilst at it take advantage of the showers and fresh water.

Just a thought.
Well I see no reference here to just disposing of bodily waste, if the person concerned has a Porti Poti or bucket for use at night whilst on an aire they would of course use the aires toilet dump to dispose of it, thus enabling them to tour with ease, if you have never had a wild pee you are in a very small minority and I would think Guinness would like to here from you? Stones and glasshouses come to mind here?

When in France do as the French do, as they say o_O

For those that do not know what i mean you really need to experience it as it will definitely open your eyes :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Saint Mauree de Tourenne.
Just off the N10 South of Tours.
Gourney en Bray in Picardie.

Get a copy of "All the aires" and you will be able to find their locations and if they have toilets.
TBH the range of toilets available in France is no different to those found in the UK and Eire in my experience, some ok, some disgusting.
K ;)

Is there a reason why you don't have any form of toilet? If it's a lack of space, my suggestion is that you remove the cooker and fridge: you can find food almost everywhere, so you don't need them. You can't find useable toilets everywhere...

For peeing at night a large water bottle/ 6litre milk bottle or similar is easy for males. Females can use a shewee/ whizz or similar. Few toilets reliably open at night for number two's so it would be worth considering a portaloo/potty/bucket of likely to need that.

You might invest in one of these
Waste Tank with Side Cap (23 Litre) Discount Card Price£14.50 full price £17

They also have a range of "Porta Potties"

We have one as an emergency to MT our cassette into it
Then dispose at a service point (Toilet)..AS yet we have not used it for Toilet. But....
We often use it to save moving the vehicle and drain grey water into it.
Again MT at a service point (grey water).
If you have used it for grey and black then MT it suitably.
As others have said (suitable) "Wild Peeing" is OK ! (IMO)
Also take advantage of public or similar toilets eg MacDonalds or similar and supermarkets etc.
If all else fails a suitable collection of corks may help !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back