An exhausting journey ..

wildebus

Drove to Redcar to spend a few days at the Rugby Ground (or more precisely, some 'Dubbing by the Sea' at the Volkspower Festival)
Around 15 miles from destination, engine seemed sluggish and very noisy. Only when revving though so suspected exhaust and carried on....
Had a look underneath after I arrived and yup, the pipe going into the silencer (just behind driver's seat) had totally rusted and dropped off!
Vans only done 135k Kms (~80k miles) so bit early on miles, but is 16 years old so on the flip side, not bad really :)

Splashed out on-line on new exhaust section (silencer with front and rear pipe sections) this morning to come back end of next week. £51 including delivery (the advantage of pre-emission complications) and with maybe a fiver for a pair of clamps for and aft is not bad at all :)

I bought something similar for the sprinter years ago, fitted well except I had to bend one of the hanging brackets a bit. Cheap though :)

My VW sharans exhaust parted company at the CAT, so I bought a fast flow CAT, some s/s pipe off of ebay & a straight through silencer & replaced the whole exhaust.

£151.00 for the lot, I fitted most of it myself & then went to exhaust centre with a true sob story & they welded the hangers on & fitted to my car for £20.
Had a 4mpg drop in fuel & a lovely noise from the rear!

Phill

New centre silencer ordered but as it was only supported at the end of the back pipe now I decided to remove the old one in the middle of a rugby field in Redcar rather then risk the front bouncing down and ripping off on the 120 mile drive home and causing any damage to my vehicle (or other road users!)
And when removed I saw the short rear pipe was also a bit past it with the rear hanger being repaired previously and bits of the metal showing distinctly crumbly areas, so need to find a new rear section which is proving a challenge (think maybe the standard pipe is rear exit and mine was a side exit option due to having a hydraulic wheelchair lift fitted originally?)
Thinking I might have to either:
a) revert to a long rear exit pipe (but do I have the hanger mount? maybe removed when lift fitted? and also have a small grey water tank fitted where the lift partly was, so could foul?
b) get a section of pipe fabricated? This might be the best option as the pipe length is so short it shoul be easy to do and could make a support pretty easily I reckon? just the short pipe right of the hanger and bracket here ....

LT 2.8 Exhaust Side Exit
by David, on Flickr

See if there is a company like this one near you

I have got prices of around £75 for that end pipe! I cannot see how a piece of exhaust gauge mild steel of maybe 24" long and 2.25" diameter with one bend can possibly justify a price of £75, especially when the central silencer was £52 delivered to my door?
If need be I will try and source a pipe and a 45 degree angle connector and make something myself

If you have access to a hand pump action hydraulic pipe bender, job done?
There is a local engineering company who made my spare wheel carrier for me which was mostly curved steel pipe. but I would have thought bending large but thin tubing would be awkward as need a former to match it Iwould guess and not the kind of size/material in common use?
I went to another place yesterday but all their pipe is 'proper' industrial stuff, not thin gear.

I have some thin wall SS tube in my workshop here at home, I'll check diameter, I assume the 2.25 is OD?
I am going to do a proper measurement shortly, 2.25" was a rough check and does seem to be a common exhaust pipe size? (The tail pipe is meant to slip over the silencer outlet pipe so the OD is the key measurement I would think?)
I have seen various exhuast reducer couplers but they would just add messiness so want to avoid those if possible, but if needs must.....

This would be handy but not a way to save £70 on pre-made pipe ....

Set of verniers will do, as before, I'll measure and when I get up, hopefully have what would suit your needs?
That would be super-helpful :)

Just did some measuring and assuming (uh-oh) the new silencer is the same as the old one in terms of pipe lengths, I have these measurements ...

The Outlet pipe measurements (in black above) were taken off the new silencer with a vernier calipers, and are:
OD = 60mm, ID = 56mm
I guess German Exhausts are metric as that 60mm translates to an unfriendly in Imperial 2.36"

Sorry WB, SS pipe I have is 42mm OD, just over 1 5/8th in old money.
I appreciate you having a look for me. Many thanks (y)

I had a little wander around the local town yesterday and came up with a solution :)
Local Motor Factors stock/source a limited range of straight pipe and I will be heading there shortly after a cuppa to pick up a 2 metre length (only need 1 Metre, but they sell 2 Metre lengths only) of flexible steel pipe I ordered yesterday.
This will take care of the bend I need to apply. I think it is 65mm OD, but I test-fitted the same size fixed pipe they had in stock on the bit of old exhaust I removed and it slides in nicely but tightly so should be perfect (I hope!)

Fitted the centre silencer this morning in readiness for the back pipe and looking pretty good ...

Centre Box
by David, on Flickr

Ran the engine and oh what a difference to the noise!

As an aside, I had a VW T4 1.9TD and that exhaust went in just the same place (I don't mean Redcar, I mean the pipe going to the centre silencer) and effectively bypassing that made no difference at all to the way the engine ran or to the noise made :oops: The only reason I knew that exhaust had broken was the mechanical rattle of the pipe hittting a support. I guess an exhaust is less important to a much lower powered engine? (the 1.9TD developed 68BHP when brand new - mine was 14 years old so likely had a fair bit less)

And now have the rear pipe in place :)

Rear Pipe
by David, on Flickr
Used 64mm Flex Tube from Klarius, which is:
"Flexible Tubing Copper Bonded, supplied in 2metre lengths.
Interfolded construction cannot be unravelled by twisting. High tensile strength and crush resistance. Galvanised mild steel"
Seems pretty good stuff. It is slightly oversized for my silencer outlet so used some exhaust paste around the inner pipe and then clamped the outer flex pipe down onto it which should make a good seal I think.
I need to get a larger clamp for the flex pipe so I can secure it near the end to the hanger as well.

Going to finish off the job with a trim piece at the end to make it look tidy and jobs a good 'un :p

Total cost will end up being around £120 with all the parts, clamps, tail trim, etc, so not too bad really. I should call someone like Kwik-Fit to get a quote to compare but I reckon saved around £100 compared to just dropping in to a exhaust centre to get the work done. (and I also have around 1.2M of quality flexible Pipe as well spare. Anyone need any? ;) )

Last edited:
I had the pipe between the 2 silencers on my Ducato based van rust through in several places.
Fortunately the boxes were pretty well supported so I was able to use a 750mm length of flexible stainless pipe with suitable end couplers welded on.
I used Myriad exhaust via eBay the same workshop trade under different names so double check worth it.
Placed order one day, made the next and arrived day after that.
Unfortunately I made an assumption about pipe size one end - doh! So had to get a short sleeve - but it would have been a good fix at under £30 If I'd been sensible.20190329_140759.jpg20190410_125450.jpg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back