Any hidden gems - East France

ActiveCampers

Planning a bumble from Calais down towards Strasburg ish and back generally avoiding cities and people and keeping to ourselves (we're known for our sociability! :D ). Avoiding Belgium, Austria and probably Germany at this rate.

We have Park4Night & Campercontact, and will just bumble around and explorer smaller places, and do small walks or bike rides (road or mountain bike trails).

Found things like well rated permitted overnight spots next to lakes with village nearby for beer/food and 40km bike ride around lake - sounds great! But was just a random data point.

So thought we'd ask does anyone know of similar gems in this area? Either drive bys, quick explores, or overnights?

(Our usual French hunting ground is normally specific - so this area we've only just touched on the big places)

Thanks!

map.jpg

(The 40km lakeside place is https://park4night.com/fr/lieu/475/...rance/marne/Aire-CC-stat.-gratuit#prettyPhoto but there are 10+ well rated spots around the lake and vicinity)

Last edited:
Epinal is nice if you go a little more south. There is a nice park up by the castle too, with animal pens for the children go get excited
No child, but vet nurse wife - so may be worth it! Been before (name is familar) but don't remember...... Thanks - added!

Buy your diesel in Luxembourg 👍

I think the days of €1/L have gone :( WIll check the covid requirements - trying to keep life as simple as poss. Will check the price differences too

It's slightly off your route, but I really liked Trier. The Porta Negra gate, Amphitheatre, baths and Moselle stone bridge are not to be missed. I stayed at the stellplatz Reisemobilpark Treveris, a short cycle ride away.

It's slightly off your route, but I really liked Trier. The Porta Negra gate, Amphitheatre, baths and Moselle stone bridge are not to be missed. I stayed at the stellplatz Reisemobilpark Treveris, a short cycle ride away.
Yep - great place. thanks for the reminder.

We love Gerardmer. There is a big aire just off the town centre which costs around 5€ or so (free with Blue Badge). Pleasant town right on a lake for a nice walk. Can recommend The Grizzly restaurant: their flaming spikes of meat are lovely.

We love Gerardmer. There is a big aire just off the town centre which costs around 5€ or so (free with Blue Badge). Pleasant town right on a lake for a nice walk. Can recommend The Grizzly restaurant: their flaming spikes of meat are lovely.
Thanks, not heard of that or been there that I can recall. Looks like a lovely place. No blue badge here lol. Noted down :)
Restaurant sounds good - albeit wife is veggie - I'm not :D :D

You should find some good wilding spots and aires in the POIs on wildcamping.co.uk.
www.campingcar-infos.com has a comprehensive data base of aires.
I also recall some good stays with France Passion hosts in that area.
I have ccinfo / campercontact, and WC db's :) Just find P4N to be the easiest and most comprehesive.
Never "used" France Passion, but stayed on some sites without needing it.
Off season will be interesting - probably quiet everywhere (good!) :)

Mouzon, an Aire 49.6069, 5.07707 on island in river Le Meuse. Nice little town. €8 with EHU - 2 years ago. Also Pont a Mousson river/harbour side Aire 48.90295, 6.06073 with showers & Toilets €10 with EHU. Short walk to town, nice restaurants. Restaurant at harbour very nice and Patisserie close by.

Mouzon, an Aire 49.6069, 5.07707 on island in river Le Meuse. Nice little town. €8 with EHU - 2 years ago. Also Pont a Mousson river/harbour side Aire 48.90295, 6.06073 with showers & Toilets €10 with EHU. Short walk to town, nice restaurants. Restaurant at harbour very nice and Patisserie close by.
Thank you, both look well located and suitable - thanks

about ten years back on the way back from the Mosel valley we diverted a little further over than you & visited guedelon castle nr Triegny the one featured in the secrets of the castle where they are building a medieval castle from scratch using traditional methods, it was fascinating and we have in fact been since for another visit

about ten years back on the way back from the Mosel valley we diverted a little further over than you & visited guedelon castle nr Triegny the one featured in the secrets of the castle where they are building a medieval castle from scratch using traditional methods, it was fascinating and we have in fact been since for another visit
Never heard of it, but sounds interesting for another time! Too far over this time, but flagged on to do list. Thanks

Bit loathe to recommend specific aires or places to stay but you could build a trip down the Meuse into your itinerary, best bits are from Givet down to Commercy, plenty of off grid parking opportunities and aires along the way.
A handy little pdf doc you could maybe print off and take with you for the region should be attached

Pete

Attachments

• Meuse Aires.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 21

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back