Anybody live near Arbroath?

mariesnowgoose

There is an old Hobby camper on Gumtree that ticks most boxes for me, even though it's not the camper I would buy if my world was ideal.

But the world isn't ideal, and realistically I don't know when I will be up and running again re earning some money. I also don't know what will happen long term with this cancer treatment.

If this particular Hobby is not needing too much in the way of servicing it could be a good, cheap camper that won't wipe out all current savings and thus leave me with enough money to be able to get away in it regularly, cancer or no cancer? That's my thinking at the mo... cabin fever and camper-withdrawal is gripping me hard!!

It could do with a once over to see if it might be worth buying.

The seller is based in Arbroath, so I wondered if there were any WC-ers with a bit of engine/chassis/grease monkey know-how who might wander along and give it the once over? Or even advise without going to look!

They do say shy bairns get nowt, and I do know it's a big ask.

I'm always searching around when I'm feeling well enough, and something suitable might come up nearer to home that's a bit easier for me to get to for checking out.

Here's the link to the ad:-

Hobby 600

does look good used to be my dream van lol agree you need mechanical check up with only 2 weeks mot would have thought that was an easy option for someone looking to sell

Like doesn't work for me :( (no gumtree links posted seem to?)

MOT expires in 2 weeks? that does seem a strange thing to sell a van with 2 weeks remaining unless there is a fair bit of work needed to pass it so something to be wary of for sure.

Have to agree that for what it costs a seller ought to get MoT to aid sale.
Personally I'd reject it on that alone if the vendor isn't prepared to go to even that minimal effort.
Anyway you'll k ow soon enough ?

I had a look at the MOT history. Advistory last time ....
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Front bumper inner crash panel corroded
  • Front Play in steering rack inner joint(s)
I wonder if the first one has got past an economic repair?

I had a look at the MOT history. Advistory last time ....
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Front bumper inner crash panel corroded
  • Front Play in steering rack inner joint(s)
I wonder if the first one has got past an economic repair?
It is usually a bolt on part, even if it isn't it would not be expensive to replace

I've messaged the guy selling it, so I'll wait and see if anything transpires...

Failure regime changed this year -these might have been fails now? track rod or a big/expensive job.
I don't know enough about the front panels of this vintage to comment.
The van itself looks pretty decent to be fair.

So I sent a second email after my first (no response) saying I was still interested and was it still for sale.

The seller replied this time just to say "yes, still for sale".

However, he hasn't included a phone number in the reply or answered any of my questions (I gave him both my mobile & landline nos. in the first email).
How the hell are you supposed to find out a) where it is and b) get more details? Endless emails to and fro most of which won't even answer any questions???

Honestly, some people are beyond the pale when it comes to being knobs and time wasters. Grrrrrr! ? ? ?

It might just be genuine, but if the seller can't be *rsed to communicate properly with genuinely interested parties it's a non-starter don't you think?

So I sent a second email after my first (no response) saying I was still interested and was it still for sale.

The seller replied this time just to say "yes, still for sale".

However, he hasn't included a phone number in the reply or answered any of my questions (I gave him both my mobile & landline nos. in the first email).
How the hell are you supposed to find out a) where it is and b) get more details? Endless emails to and fro most of which won't even answer any questions???

Honestly, some people are beyond the pale when it comes to being knobs and time wasters. Grrrrrr! ? ? ?

I also emailed him twice and he messaged back saying it’s in Arbroath but no contact details

It might just be genuine, but if the seller can't be *rsed to communicate properly with genuinely interested parties it's a non-starter don't you think?

I also emailed him twice asking where I could see it and gave him my email and phone number but only response was ‘it’s in Arbroath’

It sounds like a wild goose chase given his non-responses. Even if it is genuine, would you want to deal with him? Payment, exchange and MOT issues might be a nightmare. You don’t need the stress Marie, keep looking.
Dave

Yes would agree, if i was selling something i would go the extra mile to get a sale and be fair at the same time, so being evasive might be a clue that something is not right. But in the end the buyer makes the decision to purchase or not.

Yes would agree, if i was selling something i would go the extra mile to get a sale and be fair at the same time, so being evasive might be a clue that something is not right. But in the end the buyer makes the decision to purchase or not.

You can only decide if you know where to find the bloomin' thing to go and buy it in the first place!
No address, no contact number, no further details .... :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :cool: :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back