Attention all Dog Lovers

Lorraine

Rally Organiser

What breed do you prefer?, which category does it come under? girl or boy and what are there qualities?

While I was able to look after my own dog, I owned a girl St Bernard (Working Group), unfortunately she only lived until she was eight years old, cancer of the bowls, she was very fit, she went on most of my horse rides over the moors, she was very funny, clever, agile, people and dog friendly, brilliant guard dog when I was at stables on my own, she had a very laid back character, I would say she was a loyal companion

I have owned other dogs in my life time, some I owned while I owned the ST Bernard which lived on after:
Old English Sheepdog (Pastoral Group) 12 years
Alsatian (Pastoral Group) 15 years

Since we have been into Motorhomes 10 years plus we have owned Jack Russell terrier (terrier group)
Roxy who we own now is Rescued Jack Russell x Chihuahua (Terrier Group x Toy Breed)

Always had Alsatian when we were less busy, probably the most loyal dogs we ever had .Then working sheepdogs on the farm,and both Springer and Cocker spaniels as shooting companions,totally mad but absolutely lovable. Now we just have a rescue Portuguese mut who loves nothing more than going away in the van .

Always had Alsatian when we were less busy, probably the most loyal dogs we ever had .Then working sheepdogs on the farm,and both Springer and Cocker spaniels as shooting companions,totally mad but absolutely lovable. Now we just have a rescue Portuguese mut who loves nothing more than going away in the van .

Alsation.jpg

Black lab gun-dog. No preference on sex.
When into shooting and picking up until 10 years ago had 5.
All trained to hand signals and whistle. Took for walks anywhere without leads. Walked to heel, I stopped they stopped and sat, i moved they stayed put until I told them otherwise.
Left one at my local paper shop once. I was most of the way home before I realised I had no dog, went back and he was where I had left him sitting in front of the shop.
I would advise anyone considering a lab to get one from from gun-dog stock. They tend to be slightly smaller and are much easier to train as like sheepdogs it’s natural to them.
I seriously considered one after losing my Bullterrier but to be honest don’t fancy ar-ing on with a pup hence getting a rescue greyhound.

Black lab gun-dog. No preference on sex.
When into shooting and picking up until 10 years ago had 5.
All trained to hand signals and whistle. Took for walks anywhere without leads. Walked to heel, I stopped they stopped and sat, i moved they stayed put until I told them otherwise.
Left one at my local paper shop once. I was most of the way home before I realised I had no dog, went back and he was where I had left him sitting in front of the shop.
I would advise anyone considering a lab to get one from from gun-dog stock. They tend to be slightly smaller and are much easier to train as like sheepdogs it’s natural to them.
I seriously considered one after losing my Bullterrier but to be honest don’t fancy ar-ing on with a pup hence getting a rescue greyhound.
labrador.jpg

I like all dogs, but do particularly like Staffy's, it's just a shame that they have a bad undeserved reputation.

View attachment 49114

I have had the acquaintance of many Staffordshire Bull Terriers/and crosses, they are so endearingly cute the funny things they do, I have only met one that was a killer when it comes to other dogs, my cousins, he was 13 years when she had him put to sleep, he was brindle like FOXY, you couldn't wish for nicer dog in the house very friendly with his toys and always sat with you, all the family loved him and spent lots of time with him, so it's not always the owners, although this can be a contributory, but as soon has he went for walk (always on a lead) he turned to a monster killer
The stigma probably was they was originally bred in Staffordshire for fighting and people don't forget

Last edited:
when we had our first child i insisted on a dog jan’s family had never had them so researched at the library (before internet) lots said good with children only one the red setter said very good with them so that is what we had to have she certainly had to be pulled prodded etc never a quiver 4 setters later we have molly an irish red & white truly could not find a better dog she is now being pulled & prodded by the grandchildren

5DA9B921-F3B2-41D6-A340-5253F7918F51.jpeg

I prefer x breeds and absolutely won't touch a pedigree of any model. I've had a couple of Mastweilers (Mastiff/Rottweiler) and currently have a big friendly one. As with the aforementioned Staffies,Rotties have an undeserved reputation so I always laugh when people stop to give mine a scratch then look horrified when I tell them what he is,he has the Mastiff apricot colouring so they don't usually see the Rottie side.

Started off with a German Shepherd, the next three were all Rotties the last one was Ben
TPTGQVx.jpg

an excellent companion and guard dog had him for 11 years.
We have recently got ourselves a Border Collie from a working background and the first female dog I've ever had, called this one Gypsy
a few days after we got her
Q3CcNi7.jpg

and a recent couple of pictures she's around 4.5 months here
d0baJPo.jpg

LvM4ZHH.jpg

Growing up, we always had a dog. Lassie was a female Staffy, Scamp a male mongrel with collie in, Homer a pedigree male Cocker Spaniel, and Tim a male mongrel with labrador in.

After we got married, we had Jake, a male terrier cross and Tess, a Springer Spaniel. Then Jazz & Sox, two male lab x collies, but they didn't get on as they were litter mates so sadly I had to re-home Sox. Later we got Sage (female lord knows what). Then Shadow a female Staffy and after we lost Jazz, I got Reg, male Springer Spaniel (see avatar), and I have recently acquired Molly, a female West Highland Terrier.

Most have been rescues, some were pups. I like most dogs - although I wouldn't consider a Jack Russell or anything too large or small. They seem to arrive more by chance than design but we mostly seem to have two at a time, one male and one female. I know you shouldn't have favourites but I have always found myself more drawn to the boys than the girls.

I prefer x breeds and absolutely won't touch a pedigree of any model. I've had a couple of Mastweilers (Mastiff/Rottweiler) and currently have a big friendly one. As with the aforementioned Staffies,Rotties have an undeserved reputation so I always laugh when people stop to give mine a scratch then look horrified when I tell them what he is,he has the Mastiff apricot colouring so they don't usually see the Rottie side.

These are my favorite breeds of dogs all Mastiff types of dogs come from the working group which my St Bernard came from, I find they are so funny and laid back, easy to train, can become very lazy if left too. My brother's Rottie was and angel

Last edited:
Growing up, we always had a dog. Lassie was a female Staffy, Scamp a male mongrel with collie in, Homer a pedigree male Cocker Spaniel, and Tim a male mongrel with labrador in.

After we got married, we had Jake, a male terrier cross and Tess, a Springer Spaniel. Then Jazz & Sox, two male lab x collies, but they didn't get on as they were litter mates so sadly I had to re-home Sox. Later we got Sage (female lord knows what). Then Shadow a female Staffy and after we lost Jazz, I got Reg, male Springer Spaniel (see avatar), and I have recently acquired Molly, a female West Highland Terrier.

Most have been rescues, some were pups. I like most dogs - although I wouldn't consider a Jack Russell or anything too large or small. They seem to arrive more by chance than design but we mostly seem to have two at a time, one male and one female. I know you shouldn't have favourites but I have always found myself more drawn to the boys than the girls.

Hi Caz
You say you wouldn't consider a Jack Russell, I never thought I would see the day when I owned a small dog, but I have owned a Parsons Terrier girl Elle (5 months short of 18 years when we had her put to sleep, Jack Russell x Chihuahua girl Laurie 6 plus years was run over outside my house on a no threw country lane, I now own Roxy 3 plus years Jack Russell x Chihuahua
Remember all pure dogs are interrelated
Reverend John Russell widely know as Parson Jack bred these Jack Russell dogs
Greyhound bred with Fox Terrier produced Whippet
Whippet bred with West Highland White produced Parsons Terrier
Jack Russell Terriers where produced from breeding the Parsons Terrier down in height with a Staffordshire Bull Terrier

These are my favorite breeds of dogs all Mastiff types of dogs come from the working group which my St Bernard came from, I find they are so funny and laid back, easy to train, can become very lazy if left too. My brother Rottie was and angel
I run my one for miles beside my bicycle,but he's more than happy to spend the day sleeping if there's rain,apart from their size they are really a good fit for my motorhoming lifestyle. I was talking to a St Bernard owner a few days ago,she had a pup which was nearly the same height as my pooch,I had to ask what it was because it looked different,never knew they came in a short haired variety.

For the last 32 years we have had English Springer Spaniels, starting off with one we called Solo as we were only going to have the one dog..... That lasted for only 5 weeks when we couldn't resist having another one and so it has continued over the years with our last 7 all coming from one breed specific rescue or another with most of the time us having between 3 or 4 at any one time.

When I designed our Renault Master conversion 'Millie' I did so with our beloved four legged friends always in mind.

3dogspeepo.JPG

Sorry Lorraine, I know Jack Russells are popular and I shouldn't generalise like that, but I have known quite a few really nasty ones over the years and been bitten a few times so I tend to avoid them where possible.

Sorry Lorraine, I know Jack Russells are popular and I shouldn't generalise like that, but I have known quite a few really nasty ones over the years and been bitten a few times so I tend to avoid them where possible.

I don't usually generalise over breeds either but I have to say French Bulldogs seem to be a nasty bunch,they're massively popular for reasons beyond my comprehension,I seem to run into them constantly and my usually placid dog seems to take pleasure in stomping on them when they threaten him.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back