Autotrail D trim needed

Roger, I don’t doubt your tech skills, that 45* mitre cut would be nippy cut by hand. If there is a local fab shop ask them if they can do the cut on a circular saw, better fit up when you fit to MH. If free hand cut, make sure you use soft jaws on the vice to protect the extrusion, I reckon extrusion will already be painted, mask it with masking tape. With the D shape, it will be difficult to accurately get a 45* square over D for marking off.

Anyhooo, apologies in advance, not trying to tell grandad how to suck eggs. 👍

Any advice is always appreciated Terry. You are correct, the extrusion is already painted and the 45 degree angle is best marked on the rear. I don’t think I have a fab shop locally, but I have bought 12 inches and I only need 4, So I can make loads of mistakes before I throw it up in the air and invent a new swear word!

Any advice is always appreciated Terry. You are correct, the extrusion is already painted and the 45 degree angle is best marked on the rear. I don’t think I have a fab shop locally, but I have bought 12 inches and I only need 4, So I can make loads of mistakes before I throw it up in the air and invent a new swear word!
Do the difficult cut first, the mitre, along with a hacksaw, buy a cheap joiner cutting jig, something like this > https://www.toolstation.com/minotau...iOyVi7yiR2ckXrzUlFRoCIyIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A couple of options here Rog if I may.

I built quite a lot of my self build with one of the below, quite accurate, I needed a compound mitre so bought a proper one.

Thanks guys, have chosen and ordered the one from Toolstation, it’s only one cut, so should be good enough for the job.
Wipe oil on the bade after Rog, they rust quickly once the surface protection wears off, mine was over 20 years old when I gave it to Lizs son, that was 8 years ago and he still uses it.

Thanks guys, have chosen and ordered the one from Toolstation, it’s only one cut, so should be good enough for the job.
I like your optimism Roger, only one mitre cut, two cuts in all though 👍 😂

Possibly one if the end is good enough as is.

Quite right Terry, I intend to cut the mitre first, and when I’m happy with that, I’ll just square it off at the correct length.
I imagine it’s then a question of packing it out with Sikoflex 522 before pushing it onto the clips.

A quick addition Roger, masking tape around area of cuts, this will prevent the paint coating from chipping during the cutting process.

Thanks Terry, will do. The trim is hopefully arriving Wed, collected the mitre jig this afternoon, masking tape standing by. What could possibly go wrong…..

All will go swimmingly good, just remember the old adage, check twice, cut once……….I need to remember to practice what I preach 😆

You done well sourcing the exact extrusion so quickly👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back