Battery advice please

Wrighpm

Hi my lead acid batteries now drop to low voltage very quickly and are needing replacements. They are currently both attached to the motorhome charger in parallel.
I only use for lights, water pump and Truma heater fan. The two existing batteries owe me nothing so happy to replace.
My first question is when having two batteries do they charge adequately attached in parallel from the manufacturers original charger?
My second question is ... are AGM batteries significantly better than lead-acid. (cannot afford Lithium)?
I was thinking 2x 100AH AGM from Alpha batteries.
Any advice most welcome.

Also 100W solar is attached to the above.

Go for loach lead carbon, many van factory charger are junk, i would tend to buy a good smart charger, i use a numax auto/smart but there are others cheeper on ebay, from £20 to 50, have you no sollar panels to charge batts up.12v 20a charger.png

Hi my lead acid batteries now drop to low voltage very quickly and are needing replacements. They are currently both attached to the motorhome charger in parallel.
I only use for lights, water pump and Truma heater fan. The two existing batteries owe me nothing so happy to replace.
My first question is when having two batteries do they charge adequately attached in parallel from the manufacturers original charger?
The bigger the battery bank, the longer/harder the charger will need to work.
Does it matter? It will not matter to some chargers. Other chargers (usually those fitted as OEM equipment) could potentially get overstressed and overheat as they were designed for a certain workload. Bit like running an engine at the redline ... it doesn't break right there and then, but do it for too long and it won't be doing the engine much good.

My second question is ... are AGM batteries significantly better than lead-acid. (cannot afford Lithium)?
I was thinking 2x 100AH AGM from Alpha batteries.
Any advice most welcome.

AGM batteries ARE Lead Acid Batteries. They are just a different style of construction to wet cell Lead Acid batteries, as are GEL Lead Acid batteries. Personally, I would if they will fit go for Lead Carbon batteries (which are again a different variety of the generic Lead Acid battery family).
Lead Carbon batteries have a number of advantages over the other types of Lead Acid batteries, and should give a significantly longer service for not much more money. They also have a key benefit in that they will be compatible with whatever chargers you currently have, so are a genuine drop-in replacement.

The downside is they weigh a little more than the same capacity 'normal' Lead Acid battery (for a pair of 100Ah, maybe an extra 10Kg?) and they tend to be taller. If your current batteries are in a typical battery locker, you should be ok. If they are under a cab seat, it will be trickier (or even not possible) to fit them it.

The Xplorer Lead Carbons from Alpha are very good value and I've fitted quite a few of those and have 3 of them installed in my own MH.
Currently out of stock at Alpha but meant to be coming back in stock this Friday I have been advised.
Also 100W solar is attached to the above.

Go for loach lead carbon, many van factory charger are junk, i would tend to buy a good smart charger, i use a numax auto/smart but there are others cheeper on ebay, from £20 to 50, have you no sollar panels to charge batts up.View attachment 69745
Thanks for quick reply. I am hoping the existing Electroboc EBL99K will manage the charging side along with my 100W solar panel. I appreciate the advice on Lead-Carbon so think I will go that way

The bigger the battery bank, the longer/harder the charger will need to work.
Does it matter? It will not matter to some chargers. Other chargers (usually those fitted as OEM equipment) could potentially get overstressed and overheat as they were designed for a certain workload. Bit like running an engine at the redline ... it doesn't break right there and then, but do it for too long and it won't be doing the engine much good.

AGM batteries ARE Lead Acid Batteries. They are just a different style of construction to wet cell Lead Acid batteries, as are GEL Lead Acid batteries. Personally, I would if they will fit go for Lead Carbon batteries (which are again a different variety of the generic Lead Acid battery family).
Lead Carbon batteries have a number of advantages over the other types of Lead Acid batteries, and should give a significantly longer service for not much more money. They also have a key benefit in that they will be compatible with whatever chargers you currently have, so are a genuine drop-in replacement.

The downside is they weigh a little more than the same capacity 'normal' Lead Acid battery (for a pair of 100Ah, maybe an extra 10Kg?) and they tend to be taller. If your current batteries are in a typical battery locker, you should be ok. If they are under a cab seat, it will be trickier (or even not possible) to fit them it.

The Xplorer Lead Carbons from Alpha are very good value and I've fitted quite a few of those and have 3 of them installed in my own MH.
Currently out of stock at Alpha but meant to be coming back in stock this Friday I have been advised.
Hi apologies for repeating the same reply as Trevskoda. Thanks for quick reply. I am hoping the existing Electroboc EBL99K will manage the charging side along with my 100W solar panel. I appreciate the advice on Lead-Carbon from you both so think I will go that way.
Wildebus .also thanks for excellent additional and comprehensive advice. Ordering Lead-Carbons.

Thanks for quick reply. I am hoping the existing Electroboc EBL99K will manage the charging side along with my 100W solar panel. I appreciate the advice on Lead-Carbon so think I will go that way
there is a switch on the front of the EBL99 to select the battery type which you may need to change depending on what you have and what you are getting.
Just to clarify one thing, the Lead Carbons are a superior type of Lead Acid battery, but they still break into two subsets - AGM or GEL - and you set the switch accordingly to one of those if getting Lead Carbon. The Alpha Batteries one I pointed you to are GEL versions. I think the ones Trev is suggesting might be an AGM version.
Both AGM and GEL have their own fans; I personally am not bothered - they are both much better than wet cells (IMO).

Another vote for lead carbon check out specification on alpha batterys website down side cost more , led acid are lighter

Hi apologies for repeating the same reply as Trevskoda. Thanks for quick reply. I am hoping the existing Electroboc EBL99K will manage the charging side along with my 100W solar panel. I appreciate the advice on Lead-Carbon from you both so think I will go that way.
Wildebus .also thanks for excellent additional and comprehensive advice. Ordering Lead-Carbons.
Dont forget to use our discount code!

If you want to go with lithium I have 3 x 100 ah lithium batteries for sale £300 each or £850 for the 3

If you want to go with lithium I have 3 x 100 ah lithium batteries for sale £300 each or £850 for the 3
Thank you for the offer but I have not the cash to spare ... my MK7 transit engine blew up and cost me £5k to replace. Kinda wiped out our slush fund.:cry:

5 g for a trany donkey, one from a rightoff would be £500/700 tops
Sounds lot Trev I know but was for: new turbo, new injectors, new oil pump, head skimmed, new timing chain, new pistons, re-bore, crank ground, shells, new boost hose, filters, oil, cleaning intercooler and EGR, Tuning and testing. Plus a year warranty and finally the peace of mind and rebuilding my confidence in the vehicle. I was badly shaken (as was my wife) by the drama. In my youth I would have thought nothing of going down the scrappie route.(as I often did with my old Series2 Landie.).
I did price up a warranted long engine,hoses and turbo etc. You are right I could have saved a bit of cash but apart from the additional peace of mind I needed a quick turn-around for holiday commitments.
In fact I have been back with an oil leak which was fixed without fuss.
The rebuilt engine runs like new so putting the episode behind me.

Alpha Batteries do a special guide to AGM batteries. Probably worth reading before buying because some chargers do not look after them properly.

Alpha Batteries do a special guide to AGM batteries. Probably worth reading before buying because some chargers do not look after them properly.
Thank you very much for pointing this out. I have ordered a Lead-carbon 'gel' type. My charger has a setting for gel batteries. (y):)

pity i didn’t see this earlier i am taking a 160A lead carbon out of my van at goosnargh it’s over a year old but has been the muscle in a hybrid setup that i have used so hasn’t even done one cycle and of course 2 x 100A lead acid availability =100A
1x 160A lead carbon =130 A available , £240 new so looking for £120 same length & width as a normal 100A lead acid just a few inches taller

pity i didn’t see this earlier i am taking a 160A lead carbon out of my van at goosnargh it’s over a year old but has been the muscle in a hybrid setup that i have used so hasn’t even done one cycle and of course 2 x 100A lead acid availability =100A
1x 160A lead carbon =130 A available , £240 new so looking for £120 same length & width as a normal 100A lead acid just a few inches taller
Ahhh yes... the one that got away. Good luck with re-homing the battery.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back