Bit of a rip off....

I've always stopped at La Mailleraye-sur-Seine, my own tablet, £15 or thereabouts, receptionist and Vet both speak English, nice Aire too. Sit and watch the big barges going up and down the river.
Just like this one...more like an ocean going container ship than a barge though..Fab aire.IMG_20160525_093537.jpg

regards
Allen

i’ve used la mailraye often good service fair price but this time because we were running back during lockdown we had it done in portugal in beja because we were going that way en route booked vet online cost about €16 tablet inc , have been charged various prices over the year from 12 euro nr bordeaux to 60 euro in holland certainly if you know your heading home now we have 5 days can have it done portugal or spain

Parked over the weekend at Sainte Maure de Toraine, waiting for the vet to open this morning, so Max could have the ‘procedure’ before the crossing on Thursday.
Was a little deflated to receive the bill. We supplied the tablet, but she still managed to charge us €35.50 to just stamp his passport!
I think they saw us coming!
Stowaways are much cheaper! 🤫

Last time we came back with Chloe, the Portuguese vet supplied the tablet and stamped our passport in advance. We just had to give the tablet at the right time. Cost about 12euros.

Parked over the weekend at Sainte Maure de Toraine, waiting for the vet to open this morning, so Max could have the ‘procedure’ before the crossing on Thursday.
Was a little deflated to receive the bill. We supplied the tablet, but she still managed to charge us €35.50 to just stamp his passport!
Hi Roger shonky here. Just cancelled our trip to Portugal as the situation in spain is not good, was travelling with three motorhomer members, we have rebooked for next year, safe journey mate!

Hi Roger shonky here. Just cancelled our trip to Portugal as the situation in spain is not good, was travelling with three motorhomer members, we have rebooked for next year, safe journey mate!

Thanks Shonky. I think you are wise to cancel now. It is getting very chaotic, with different rules applying to the different countries.
We have arrived home now, and actually enjoying a two week rest!
We are planning to head to Portugal again around the middle of March, if the situation allows. 🤞

Hello all,

I know I am in the minority, being an ambivalent (and minority) member of our community towards dogs and cats, but these costs are surely worth it for these Isles to stay rabies (and other disease) free ?

We have voted to leave the European Union so are treated as a 3rd Country (ie no longer part of) so cannot expect frictionless travel for us or your furry friends.

Paul.

Hello all,

I know I am in the minority, being an ambivalent (and minority) member of our community towards dogs and cats, but these costs are surely worth it for these Isles to stay rabies (and other disease) free ?

We have voted to leave the European Union so are treated as a 3rd Country (ie no longer part of) so cannot expect frictionless travel for us or your furry friends.

Paul.
Hey guys, the point I was making was that some vets will charge €5 and some will charge €50.
I am very conscious of the need and desire for Britain to remain rabies free, but when the procedure is a legal requirement, there should be a standard charge, I’m amazed that they feel that they can and do, make up the price, as they go along. We are in the habit of purchasing the tablet, from our own vet, and taking it abroad with his passport, so the only cost involved, to the vet is the ink on their rubber stamp!
They are laughing all the way to the bank!

Hiya Paul, we are extremely well, thanks. I don’t think they will ever regulate vets, they have a licence to print money, but sadly I don’t!
Miss your phone calls, we must catch up soon 👍

Earlier this year on our fast return from Spain we found a vets opened just after La Mann's we had to wait outside they where in lockdown before UK the vet agreed to see us they were fantastic the weighing, tablet given, ears and teeth checked she spoke english for the full total of 17 euros

we used to use a vet near bordeaux originally posted by Tezza the first 4 times we used it was only €12 then i went in and they charged €54 i had a bit of a meltdown eventually the vet herself came out and said the partners had decided that every animal had to have a full checkover over at €40 regardless of treatment not been back, the point about the dreaded B word is irrelevant there are no checks going into the EU only bringing an animal into the UK so in theory nothing should change ,

Thanks Shonky. I think you are wise to cancel now. It is getting very chaotic, with different rules applying to the different countries.
We have arrived home now, and actually enjoying a two week rest!
We are planning to head to Portugal again around the middle of March, if the situation allows. 🤞
Glad to hear your back safe Rodger, yes I have booked for May as that was the only availability for pet cabin, just hope things settle down by then!.

Two years ago we went to an event in Eastern Germany. Whilst picking up the tickets from the Rudolstadt Tourist Information office, I enquired if they could recommend a local vet to do the dogs passports. The lady recommended her own vet, and even rang to make the appointment for us.
At the end of the trip, when we went to the vets, he examined them and signed off the passports (we provided our own tablets). He then wished us a pleasant journey home. When I asked about the bill he just said "no charge"! I felt obliged to make a donation into their charity box!

Last year, we went to the Czech Republic, and since Rudolstadt isn't far off the route home, we made an appointment at the same place. A different vet this time, but the same result - no charge!

We came back from Germany this October and found a vet at Bernkastel-Anders, on the Moselle. An interesting visit this time - the vet could see that the dogs (two cavaliers) looked OK but she didn't actually examine them. The only thing she did do was to check the tablets were the right type before we administered them. Charge: 20€ for the two dogs.

So, it does look like a complete lottery in terms of what they do and what they charge.

Wonder what will happen next year when the EU regards us as a 3rd world country!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back