Breakdown cover. AA, RAC, GREENFLAG, ??????????

TrevandJenny

Our MH is now out of warranty hence if it breaks down the cost is now down to us. I am looking to cover for home non start, any breakdown, recovery to home, covering both of us.
What service does the above companies give??? We are not looking for the cheapest, however do not want a service that if broken down in Scotland uses a multitude of lorries to return us to the south of England
Gentleman, Ladies to, your help to decide is appreciated.
Were away again this coming Monday

much of a muchness i’m afraid when we broke down in spain phone call went to european office in lyon we’re with green flag once answered as AA next time RAC both times said i’ll put you through same guy back on phone “green flag! “ , as for multiple recovery vehicles that is the relay service they offer eg when wully broke down at holbeach needing recovery past glasgow local guy was taking him to newarke then another on to scotch corner another then carlisle & then home i think wully negotiated an incentive withthe driver & got home in about 8 hrs

You may find that people have good and bad stories about recovery operators. If you're a member of either of the big Clubs they both have special cover for members - one via RAC the other with Green Flag and don't have size restrictions as far as I am aware. Perhaps look at what the different recovery options offer and decide what you need for what you are prepared to pay.

We are with the C&MHC version and have had a couple of call outs a few years ago and have been happy with their performance.

As Rugbyken says "relaying" is how they work for long recoveries.

Our MH is now out of warranty hence if it breaks down the cost is now down to us. I am looking to cover for home non start, any breakdown, recovery to home, covering both of us.
What service does the above companies give??? We are not looking for the cheapest, however do not want a service that if broken down in Scotland uses a multitude of lorries to return us to the south of England
I thought most insurers included this nowadays ?

I was with AA for car, cost £130 recovery to home, van over 3.5t has to be with AIB ,cost £70 all europe and GB Ireland, AIB are getting my car this year.
Thanks AA comes in at £119, for home start, breakdown and recovery for 2 vehicles, our MH is under 3500 so it qualifies for current 33% discount offer. I think at present it takes some beating.

Broke down on the way to Dover, recovery company took us to their yard loaned us a car to get home and then because it was between Christmas and New Year brought the van home on a low loader, dealer collected it for repair the following day.
The recovery was included in our insurance it was with AA commercial because van was 5 tonne.

Thanks for suggestion, I had a look but needs a change of account, been with Midland HSBC for over 50 years now, bit old for the change!!!
You don't have to change your account - just take out a new one and keep your existing account as it was.

You must have a pretty new motorhome so age is not a factor but age & weight may be for some (not in your case however). many companies only cover vehicles upto 3.5t. if you are under that, the choice is wide. if over, your options are more limited.
I opened a Nationwide account for that weight reason, and no, I didn't change my existing account, just have another one. Note to anyone looking at Nationwide ... the breakdown cover is personal, so if a couple, you may want to open as a Joint Account so you are both covered.

Were with autohome been with them for years never a problem we have the camper van and our cars all on the policy

I use LV breakdown good service also covers you and SHMBO in any vehicle but when renewal is due will look at opening a Nationwide account

Broke down on the way to Dover, recovery company took us to their yard loaned us a car to get home and then because it was between Christmas and New Year brought the van home on a low loader, dealer collected it for repair the following day.
The recovery was included in our insurance it was with AA commercial because van was 5 tonne.
Thats strange caus they told me they don't do over 3.5 tonne

One thing to look out for is towage/carriage limits. We were with RAC when we had a problem in the Picos, Spain. The service to get a breakdown truck was first class but the nearest Merc dealer was in Santandar which was beyond the mileage limit so had to pay extra £100 or so to get there. I should say I did request the Merc dealer, if I had agreed to a non Merc garage within the limit no charge would have been levied. Other than that the RAC were superb.

When I broke down in Budapest the garage fleeced me for 1500 euro. Make sure you get international cover too. Lesson learned.
Only going for UK cover as spent too many years driving a truck in europe and the middle east, thanks for the advice though.

You don't have to change your account - just take out a new one and keep your existing account as it was.

You must have a pretty new motorhome so age is not a factor but age & weight may be for some (not in your case however). many companies only cover vehicles upto 3.5t. if you are under that, the choice is wide. if over, your options are more limited.
I opened a Nationwide account for that weight reason, and no, I didn't change my existing account, just have another one. Note to anyone looking at Nationwide ... the breakdown cover is personal, so if a couple, you may want to open as a Joint Account so you are both covered.
We bought it in 2017, its 4 years old in a couple of weeks time, below 3.5t & under 6.5 mtrs so IIRC is below most of the size weight restrictions. For the sake of a couple of quid with the slightly less companies we have now signed up with the AA.
I did look at all the companies mentioned in the postings most had their own merits, Nationwide was without doubt a good option, To much agg to join another bank, The AAs deal of 33% off worked for me.

Big thank you to all advice given, Away on Monday fully covered.

Regards to you all.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back