Breakdown Cover

Croftylad

Hi, I am in the process of trying to arrange European breakdown cover for our trip away in the summer. We are heading down through France to Spain in our Transit van for 3 weeks. I would be grateful if anyone can recommend cover. In the past we have been members of ADAC but last time we went with QDOS. I am always a bit unsure about what cover you get. I recently had to make a call for a breakdown using the cover I paid extra for on my vehicle insurance. The guy who turned up was in a much smaller vehicle than mine and told me his firm didn't even have a recovery lorry big enough to recover mine! Thankfully he diagnosed the problem and as I was close to home I managed to sort it. I certainly wouldn't buy cover through an insurance company again. Any suggestions folks?
Thanks in advance
Antony

Just noticed you can now sign up and pay for ADAC online which you could never do before.
Antony

You say Transit 'Van'. Is it still recorded as a van (i.e. a Commercial Vehicle) or is it a "Motor Caravan". That can make a difference to how different Breakdown services cover you, even though the vehicle is the same.
Is it >3.5t GVW? That is a BIG factor when it comes to cover from UK companies like RAC and AA

Just noticed you can now sign up and pay for ADAC online which you could never do before.
Antony
Unless they have changed their policy again (and I think we would have heard), you are out of luck - they only accept new policies from people living in Germany now.

Get one of our two covers with nationwide flex plus bank account £11 per month incl annual travel cover as well, up to 8 metres from memory , maybe 9m.
Other cover is with Fiat new vehicle.

Yes I think your correct looking on other forums, it seems ADAC they will only accept German members. My van is converted to a motorhome and is registered as such on the log book (also less than 3.5t). AA want 156 quid for cover think QDOS is about 85.
Antony

I researched it a couple of years ago, after a chuckle brothers rescue took 7.5 hours to get me about 25 miles home, no attempt to roadside repair a split hose, just recovery. Was then with AXA at £35 pm but with other none motoring benefits. To suit our circumstances found best reviews and value was Nationwide FlexPlus account, get Breakdown cover inc 180 days in Euroland, up to 7.5t and 8 metres, great small print bonus cover too such as part finding, breakdown with imminent ferry crossing and repatriation to UK. Also inc Travel Insurance, Phone Insurance and no charge at ATM abroad. All for £13 pm, but they pay interest on first £2500 of balance which is about £6.50 pm, so cover is about £6.50 pm AND if account is in joint names, then both get full cover, so £3.25 each pm! The cover in the UK is provided by Britannia Rescue, which is LV owned, so big backing. At the time it was cheaper to go with Nationwide than BR direct and get other benefits. Lots of great reviews from people who needed abroad, one regular point is they keep you updated with whats going on, which is reassuring if your feeling vulnerable at the roadside in foreign parts. Friends used twice on recent 3 months in Spain and France and excellent outcomes. Ive used once in UK and perfect service.

Had a look at that account. Seems a good deal. Only worth getting I think if the travel insurance will cover me and the family. We have a few pre existing medical conditions so will have to call them to see if they will give cover.
Thanks Antony

I have pre existing too, but have read that top up charges are probably required.
I haven’t bothered as I took it out purely for the breakdown cover, I couldn’t find anywhere that was as good at such low price. I am regularly in France for extended periods, while wife in UK. I am happy to know that I have excellent cover over there for just over £3 pm and wife is covered while I am away for same and it’s 180 days Euro cover, a lot are 90 days. It doesn’t have to be main account either, no minimums in or out per month. Good reports on phone cover a bonus too.

I've been looking at a few other reviews about the breakdown cover offered by Nationwide. One review said they would not attend to a friend who had a self build motor home who broke down abroad. Mine is a self build but is registered as a motor home. Secondly I get the impression that they expect to see receipts of regular servicing. I would say my van is in a much better condition than your average Transit and is serviced well before it's due. I'm fussy and I like it done correctly so do all the work myself. They could argue that it's not been maintained to manufactures specifications (at a garage) when in reality it's much better!
More to think about.
Antony

Had a look at that account. Seems a good deal. Only worth getting I think if the travel insurance will cover me and the family. We have a few pre existing medical conditions so will have to call them to see if they will give cover.
Thanks Antony
They will extend basic cover for additional charge. We agree it’s a great deal compared to arranging separately.

Never heard that before, friends that recently used them a couple of times in Spain and France were in their self build and encountered no such problems, the problems were sorted and got regular calls checking if all was well, even keeping the file open until they returned to UK when they received their last courtesy call. I would suspect that there is more to the story with this "friend" of the reviewer. Mine is a self build and they attended to me in the UK, in fact when I rang them, before they asked any details of the vehicle, they questioned if the vehicle was under 7.5t, which I confirmed it was, they then asked for make and reg number, location and problem, that was it. Ive seen that servicing line in the policy, but to be fair in all my years of motoring I've never been asked for a service record when broken down. That line will feature in all breakdown cover as all are simply insurance policies. Such lines protect them against people who do not maintain their vehicles and simply use the breakdown companies to repair their vehicle when something breaks, they would only question maintenance when call outs became frequent or excessive, which I think is reasonable as without this, costs would rise sharply. Some breakdown companies put a maximum amount of call outs per year to prevent this. You will no doubt save all your dated service parts receipts in case of sale and compile a record, there's your service proof for this. Lets face it, 3 weeks in EU you would be unlucky to breakdown once never mind 6 times or more, before they started to question it!.

I do all my own servicing along with a local trusted mechanic, I buy all my parts and keep all of the invoices. I also keep a log of everything that happens to the MH , so that’s the servicing side covered.

£13pm reduced to £6.50pm if you keep over £2.5k in the account - yep, that’s not a problem.

So if you consider I pay £130 per annum for AA cover, which doesn’t cover Euro travel, then the nett £78 pa cost of Nationwide is a no brainer if it covers all my vehicles.

Hi,

I'm insured with Carole Nash and my policy includes UK and EU breakdown recovery, including home start.

It only covers campervans and only includes Up to 90 days of European cover so it won't be suitable for long term visits abroad in a big Motorhome.

We had an issue with a wheel when we were in France last year, and the Rescue Truck was with us in about 30 mins.

This might not be any help for Croftylad at this stage, but could be a solution for the future.

Regards,

Paul

Had breakdown in Croatia last year, clutch slave cylinder, which needed a long tow and the gearbox out. Excellent service from Nationwide, very helpful. All done in a day. No nitpicking whatsoever.

I've always used autohome they are based in Northampton but cover nationwide if you're vehicle is over a certain weight you pay an extra premium they have been brilliant every time I've needed them they also offer European cover but have never had it

Last year we ended up with Driver Guardian which seemed a much better bet price and service-wise than AA or RAC. We had been with ADAC but after a farcical episode of poor communication and failure to attend we cancelled them. ADAC used to let you ring an english speaking number in UK and also deal directly with the AA who operated on their behalf in the UK, so I was told, but then they said you had to phone Germany and I was sent round in circles due to bad communication resulting in a couple of weeks to get my van moved from one garage to another.
I did consider RAC through a caravan club but when I looked at the small print their European cover has severe restrictions on call outs in Europe, only one per trip allowed apparently. Driver Guardian do not have these restrictions.

Thanks for your replies. Will look at what others have suggested and try to make a decision. Not heard of Driver Guardian but will check it out.
Cheers antony

Another vote for Natiowide - worldwide travel insurance and European breakdown for any vehicle for £13 a month is unbeatable value.
And as SimonM says they pay 5% interest on £2500 so that halves the cost!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back