Calor to Gasit connection?

Whilst I can see the original poster (and I), know sufficient about gas installations to do this safely, I do cringe at some of the recommendations made regarding gas and electrical mods and/or fixes, which if in the wrong hands of someone will little or no knowledge of the subject, could be very dangerous.
You want to see some of the things recommended on some of the FB self build groups, I cringe at some of the stuff. It’s a waste of time to try and say different though lol

You want to see some of the things recommended on some of the FB self build groups, I cringe at some of the stuff. It’s a waste of time to try and say different though lol

Me too, and some Admins and/or Administrators not only condone such practices, but encourage them themselves.
It's always worth pointing out the dangers, it may save a life one day!

Whilst it can be done a lot of vans have a non return valve fitted to the bbq point ,,,,which prevent you going any further why ? Because it not considered safe practice pushing gas against it normal flow can disturb the seals on the NRV s and gas control valves ....if you think they don’t leak on your appliances they do ! ....this why we do letby tests and soundness tests on gas inspections...furthermore why the industry and legislation in some cases want the tests doing.

There are permissible pressure drops that allow for seeps rather than leaks on your appliances, because it is accepted gas control valves wear and can be expensive

Not only am I giving this advice but so are Gaslow it seems and others .

It makes no odds to me personally helps make a living as a gas engineer lpg leisure vehicles sorting mistakes from those that make mistakes. And they thought they were competent too

I have a safefill bottle too live 400 yds from a filling point so like saving a few quid too, £8 to do a refill as opposed to £23.50 for a 6kg calor or flogas but I do value my life at more than the £15.50 saving but do the job properly

Back to the ops original question before the thread deviated to upside down bottles and fiilling via bbq points

In an ideal world change the regulator to a two port single change over port 1 draw from underslung tank ,port 2 attach the calor bottle propane not butane .....when the tank empty’s isolate the tank and use the bottle swop back if you get the opportunity to re fill the lpg ....if you go abroad buy a local bottle ...you will need to change the pigtail to fit the new bottle

If you do this you are using the original regulator ,introducing gas to the system as it should be .not reversing the flow as mentioned, also the gas is introduced to the system through the correct pipe sizing . Just be careful what ever you do select the high pressure pigtail not a lp one (the terminals will be crimped on.) a safefill bottle is a good idea it connects by a POV fitting like a calor. Saves money and can take with you if ever you change the van.

I grant not the cheapest solution but safe and doesn’t compromise the manufacturers system

It’s on all site Nabsim including ours at times ...I detest legislation as such but I can see a day because of lax practice any and all work willl need to be done by qualified people and documented on their discipline , I rarely contribute on electric threads because frankly don’t understand it but I know one of our members a time served electrician with years of experience too rarely posts on electric question because his advice was often challenged by those that no far less has he does.......I find that quite a shame

Me too, and some Admins and/or Administrators not only condone such practices, but encourage them themselves.
It's always worth pointing out the dangers, it may save a life one day!
Exactly. Gas is perfectly safe if it is used how it was designed to be used. Butane only needs 1.8% concentration with air when it becomes ignitable. And the results can be a disaster I spent part of my life in north wales working on sites with statics . I have seen 3 go up in flames gutted, and adjacent vans badly damaged through heat and smoke .....adequate space between them , no wooden decking fire breaks all of a sudden make perfect sense ...

Sadly in one of the fires life was lost a man and his dog, the reason was nothing to do with gas on that occasion

I have the hose now and as mentioned earlier guidance for safe use from Gasit.

So, my plan is... Carry the new hose and an empty 3.9kg Calor bottle (save some payload).
Will use the underslung tank as usual filling up as late as possible before crossing to Lewis ( there's an LPG outlet in Ullapool, or there was last year).
If gas gets low and I am not able to get to a refill point ( there are none on the Uists etc) I will then swap my empty for a full Calor ( no problem with availability) and use that bottle, upright and externally until I can refill my underslung tank.
For most trips the emergency hose and Calor bottle will stay at home.
Thanks for your input folks
K ;)

All you require is a T peace before the regulator,then turn of under slung tank and turn on bottle,cost about 10 bucks to do.

All you require is a T peace before the regulator,then turn of under slung tank and turn on bottle,cost about 10 bucks to do.
I did say my solution wasn’t the cheapest , I didn’t mention t pieces for as was mentioned earlier no idea of the ops competence and working the hip side of the system

Actually I would need more than a T piece as I would also need a secure and sealed from the interior locker with a gas drop out vent. Not really an option.
Thanks anyway, someone else might.
K ;)

That's how mine was set up, but I never ever used it, so it is now removed.

Actually I would need more than a T piece as I would also need a secure and sealed from the interior locker with a gas drop out vent. Not really an option.
Thanks anyway, someone else might.
K ;)
You put the changeover valve inside the gas locker, which is already fitted with the drop vent.

If you have a 16 litre underslung tank, you wasted your money. I'd not consider anything smaller than 48 litres worth having. Mine is 70 litres, but bigger are readily available.
if you are going to carrie a tank, make shore it is no a sherman , wait that is the question. how heavy. ok.pj

if you are going to carrie a tank, make shore it is no a sherman , wait that is the question. how heavy. ok.pj
A 25 litre tank will hold 10Kg of LPG and weighs 16.8Kg empty. Total 27Kg
A 70 litre tank will hold 29Kg of LPG and weighs about 28Kg empty. Total 55Kg
A 100 litre tank will hold 42Kg of LPG and weighs 36Kg empty. Total 78Kg

You put the changeover valve inside the gas locker, which is already fitted with the drop vent.
You didn't read my post correctly. I don't have a gas locker...
Which is why I said I would need more than a T piece.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back