Camos dome, no satellite lock.

Phantom

Our Camos satellite dome used to work fine though we hardly ever use it.
20230806_180035.jpg
The last few times we tried it went through the usual motions and fine tuning but failed to lock on to Astra 1. The satellite select button does not change it from Astra 1 though maybe that is the only satellite available, or is something wrong? After a while the 'lock on' briefly illuminates and it appears to scan for available satellites then settles back on Astra 1 but with gets no lock, this same process repeats every so often.
I plan to measure the signal strength then remove the dome cover and check connections etc. I heard that aging dome covers can weaken the signal, so will test without it on.
Any thoughts?

Our Camos satellite dome used to work fine though we hardly ever use it.
View attachment 68858
The last few times we tried it went through the usual motions and fine tuning but failed to lock on to Astra 1. The satellite select button does not change it from Astra 1 though maybe that is the only satellite available, or is something wrong? After a while the 'lock on' briefly illuminates and it appears to scan for available satellites then settles back on Astra 1 but with gets no lock, this same process repeats every so often.
I plan to measure the signal strength then remove the dome cover and check connections etc. I heard that aging dome covers can weaken the signal, so will test without it on.
Any thoughts?
Have you tried asking RoadPro, who were apparently the sole UK distributor?

There’s been a lot of problems lately with dome style satellite the one I have started giving me problems about 9 months ago. I took the dome cover off gave it a good clean inside and out it seemed to fix the problem but lately it’s started doing the same thing again. But I was surprised by how much water moisture I found when I took the cover off don’t know if it was just condensation but that can’t be good for electronics. I plan on taking the cover off and using a cutting compound to clean the dome properly. Let us know how you get on

I did initially notice an extra (dry) noise that I have not heard before so guess that condensation could have caused some corrosion inside the dome? I'll check it out when I get chance.

hi. the first thing you do if its not locking on astra 28E ( english channels ) is try astra 19E or hotbird 13E if then its not locking up you have a problem . you say the finding satellites button is not changing sat's so it sounds to me its the box because its only the box that gives the command to the dome or dish so taking the top of is not your problem you could try pressing the reset button if you have one . our first satellites system was a dome they are ok if its windy but no good after mid France so we went for a 85cm dish . if you do take the cover off you will see why the dish inside is no bigger than a side plate . if it was me i would try & get a replacement like TJBI said give roadpro a ring . cheyenne

SDC10718.JPGnormandy 050.jpgInkedDSC00742 solar panels_LI.jpg

I have been in communication with Roadpro. They said that the box cannot be updated. I don't know if another box would work with my dome but am thinking that my dome and box are obsolete? 😪

I have been in communication with Roadpro. They said that the box cannot be updated. I don't know if another box would work with my dome but am thinking that my dome and box are obsolete? 😪
sorry to here that but technology moves on but it sounds to me that your box is faulty if it would not select another satellite .if you are considering getting a dish go for maxview as you can upgrade it just by downloading on to a usb stick then transfer to your box plus based in kings Lynn .cheyenne

I checked out the dome and dish position box today but no joy. It seems that the dome would need a replacement chip and a new control box for it to work. We barely ever use it anyway, so I removed that big ugly dome from the roof, it was very easy to do, just a few screws and no holes to seal. If anything we would likely just get a portable dish kit if we ever felt the need for sat TV.

I removed my dome 12 months ago, and with streaming Widley available now we have never missed it :cool:

My Camos was extremely slow to lock often frantically searching for several minutes, it never locked onto to anything other than Astra2-S.
Road pro can update the firmware but need both the controller and the pcb in the dome.

I sold the van instead and now have a far more capable mechatronics ASR800 with I bought from Roadpro for £200

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back