Can we or can't we

The government has told me I have as much right to be on the beach as they do. If they feel the social distancing that everyone must observe isn't safe enough then they could stay at home during peak times.

Just because someone lives somewhere nice doesn't give them the right to decide who can or can't visit. Where will that end? You can't come to "my" beach because you might have a cold that I don't want to get because it will inconvenience me?

"you cant come to my beach because you might have a cold that i dont want to get because it will inconvenience me?"

so did you not say this? I think you did as above and dont forget we are posting here because of the Virus THE PANDEMIC.

"you cant come to my beach because you might have a cold that i dont want to get because it will inconvenience me?"

so did you not say this? I think you did as above and dont forget we are posting here because of the Virus THE PANDEMIC.

And I dont know many who died from just getting a cold BUT many sadly have passed away from this killer Virus. So cant come to the beach relates to #COVID19 and its dangers.Obviously everyone is free now to go to any beach. But everyone needs to still be careful we are not out of the woods yet.

so did you not say this?

Read the whole paragraph as one Micky. This one, I've added the bold bit to hopefully make it clearer.

Just because someone lives somewhere nice doesn't give them the right to decide who can or can't visit. Where will that end?Will the residents of nice places think they can start saying things like You can't come to "my" beach because you might have a cold that I don't want to get because it will inconvenience me?

Does that make what I meant clearer?

Obviously everyone is free now to go to any beach.

Thank you.

But everyone needs to still be careful we are not out of the woods yet.

Goes without saying.

Last edited:
Read the whole paragraph as one Micky. This one, I've added the bold bit to hopefully make it clearer.

Does that make what I meant clearer?

Thank you.

Goes without saying.

I really don't know where you find the patience, Steve.
It could well be that you're a candidate for Saint status.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

I really don't know where you find the patience, Steve.
It could well be that you're a candidate for Saint status.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Ok "Sir Colin"
Just to clarify
Steve and I were having a debate about the difference between a cold and a Killer Virus.

We both used "patience" as you put it to get across our points.

We both got there in the end with no hard feelings and it didnt really need you to side with one party in this debate between Steve and I. But obviously as a "Sir "maybe you felt the need to?

keep safe young man ;)

I think that he was referring to the way that st3v3 responded to your mistaken quote so calmly and patiently, nothing wrong with that I’d say. Some posters would have reacted differently and without patience resulting in no one feeling any good about the matter.

Deep breath everyone :rolleyes:
As cathartic as it was to use the mightier weapon of the modern world to type up a two-page diatribe on coldgate... I thought I'd best delete it.
Not quite as satisfying as hitting 'post' would have been but I'll be over it by the time I've made a cuppa :giggle:

...................Obviouslyeveryone is free now to go to any beach. But everyone needs to still be careful we are not out of the woods yet.

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this final sentence, Micky. You seem to have condensed the advice that the UK Government has been giving the populace for the past eight weeks or so into one brief sentence. That's a rare skill.
Should I go to Smugness beach (damned autowrong!) I plan to wear a face mask incorporating the features recommended by the Government's science advisors. I have had two made - one camouflage pattern and the other Superheros (Spiderman and The Incredible Hulk). I'm told that either style will look very chic when worn with my 'Red Beauty' swimming shorts. Perhaps we'll meet there, though socially distanced obviously.
Oh, and by my omission of you from my earlier post I certainly didn't mean to infer that you're not a patient. In fact I'm sure you are.
And I certainly wouldn't attempt to ridicule your name nor any prefixes you may or may not have.
I hope this clarifies my thoughts and helps to settle the dust between us.
I'm confident that any misunderstandings are or were simply a result of the autospell and/or autofill software kicking in.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

An interesting post, but would like to comment on one part of your post which you might have some feedback back on?
"I have been horrified at the number of people around wearing masks wrongly, below the nose, above the chin etc."
My Sister has been making facemasks for the general public to wear (so non-medical cloth type). She sent me some and I had a conversation about them with her to check the sizes ... She has made them apparently to the recommended /approved dimensions - and I measured the ones she sent me and she confirmed this.
Why I am saying this? For the ones she sent me it is impossible for me to wear one and cover my nose AND my chin simultaneously. As soon as I move/open my mouth, it will either move up or drop down. So if this is typical due to the recommended sizes, it is maybe not the wearers fault?
I don't think I have an unusually large face and currently just the one chin as well?
Are there different sizes of masks generally and she is using an incorrect dimension?
I will be making a couple myself and will be making them larger for obvious reasons.

you are correct that homemade masks don't always cover the chin. The important thing is that it fits snugly round the mouth and covering the chin makes the fit better. The ones I was specifically referring to were medical masks which people had not "spread" in the way they are meant to. If it is possible to cover the chin to fit snugly it is preferable. But slipping a mask below the nose is just pointless!
Found this article which explains the important points when making masks
I did read that using a strip cut from the leg of a pair of tights ensures a good fit and makes even a medical mask more effective. But the homemade masks are really made to a one size fits all, same as the basic medical masks. And we are not all "average"!
For nurses in ITU many have to be subjected to a "fit test" to ensure the masks are safe and fit each individual perfectly. ( at least they used to....possibly not now!)

I tried making a mask cut from the leg of a pair of tights but not sure that I got it right
FLXJ7OIG7DYL0WZ.MEDIUM.jpg

No self-respecting virus could cope with that......☹️ Maja

....though Rik Mayal would agree with the "bank job" potential ..... or was it Adrian Edmondson that said he would "put his head where a girlies bottom had been" LOL 😂 !!!

From the government instructions, yes you can drive anywhere for the day in your private motorhome, staying overnight is not permitted. These are the FACTS.

Day trips to outdoor open space, in a private vehicle, are permitted. You should practise social distancing from other people outside your household.

Leaving your home - the place you live - to stay at another home for a holiday or other purpose is not allowed. This includes visiting second homes.

Things won't alter overnight.
At the moment we are happy to be able to go for a walk more than once a day. We have also had a drive out in the van. Been for a walk where there were no other people. We can have a picnic in the Van.
Much better than the last few weeks,which was still better than other countries idea of lock down. If we stay safe we will still be here next year.

Let's hope the world's and our nation's health improves over the coming weeks and UK campsites, hotels and holiday parks currently planned to remain shut until at least 4 July do open on this date or soon after. When campsites open I assume wildcamping will also be OK. Our first trip, and probably all trips until next Spring, will be to remote less densely populated areas of the UK mainland.

So, at the end of the day can we or can’t we ?
At the end of the day (it's night!) - however you can do whatever you want but don't get caught by either the authorities or the virus, simples! The boys in London can make whatever decisions they want and legislate for those decisions from the medical and scientific advice - fine. I am not party to that advice so I will keep in mind what we are told to do/not do and then into the equation I will throw my tuppence - what do I feel safe doing? On Friday I was shopping in Aldi and I was the only person wearing a mask and gloves - my choice from my tuppence!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back