Can we or can't we

It's a difficult judgement call to be honest. Everyone has been walking the local streets or doing circuits of their nearest park or patch of grass for months. Families with young children must be desperate to get out somewhere for the day. As I said elsewhere, I just can't find it in my heart to begrudge anyone wanting a day out somewhere beautiful to refresh spirit, mind and body. Yes, there's a danger that some spots could get a bit too busy but always remember that the social distancing rules are still firmly in place. If we each take serious responsibility to keep well away from other people, then there shouldn't be an issue of spreading the infection. Even if some numpties won't distance, we should just give them all a wide berth.

Having said all that, I'm lucky to live on the outskirts of a small town just a short drive from the Surrey Hills and the North and South Downs. I can be in gorgeous countryside locally within a 5 minute walk. I won't be heading far for a long time yet... in fact I have to gird my loins and give myself a pep talk to just leave the house these days! 😂 I'm sure a lot of people will feel the same. Let's hope there's not too much of a problem for beauty spots but just watch the media frenzy to come over the weekend!
I would love to get a glimpse of the sea, open the Windows, smell the air, watch the waves.....but what happens if i break down.....I would feel terrible putting others at risk.....staying at home for now and watching seaside webcams. I think we are all needing the comfort of familiar places. Know what you mean Jennie about spending so much time indoors, makes you a bit reclusive. We need the great outdoors.

Surely the older generation (vulnerable groups) are following the rules to stay at home, and maintain social distancing? How will they get infected by people turning up to walk along the beach?

Are you serious with this statement.?
The people who turn up to walk along the beach having travelled many miles from say Nottingham or Sheffield a highly infected area then call in to say the Local Tesco or other supermarket to get some snacks.Unwittingly they are infected but dont realise then they pass the virus on to a Local person who gets infected who subsequently visits their parents in Skegness who then get the virus and due to having no Local Hospital are forced to be taken to Boston Or Lincoln hospitals.Not rocket science.Its too early yet for these daytrips or joyrides.And the unfair thing is these people who would be travelling 100 of miles have Hospitals where they live which are on their doorstep more than likely so they have a better chance of survival if hospitalised with covid19,than the East Coast resident. Why do you think Wales and Scotland wont let people from England cross the border?Cornwall Cumbria etc also are fearful of the virus spread.

The government has told me I have as much right to be on the beach as they do. If they feel the social distancing that everyone must observe isn't safe enough then they could stay at home during peak times.

Just because someone lives somewhere nice doesn't give them the right to decide who can or can't visit. Where will that end? You can't come to "my" beach because you might have a cold that I don't want to get because it will inconvenience me?

Are you comparing a worldwide Pandemic which has so far killed millions to a cold? No one is saying "my beach" or my "beauty spot" we are just trying to safeguard our lives and if the boot was on the other foot YOU would be the first to do the same.

Are you serious with this statement.?
The people who turn up to walk along the beach having travelled many miles from say Nottingham or Sheffield a highly infected area then call in to say the Local Tesco or other supermarket to get some snacks.Unwittingly they are infected but dont realise then they pass the virus on to a Local person who gets infected who subsequently visits their parents in Skegness who then get the virus and due to having no Local Hospital are forced to be taken to Boston Or Lincoln hospitals.Not rocket science.Its too early yet for these daytrips or joyrides.And the unfair thing is these people who would be travelling 100 of miles have Hospitals where they live which are on their doorstep more than likely so they have a better chance of survival if hospitalised with covid19,than the East Coast resident. Why do you think Wales and Scotland wont let people from England cross the border?Cornwall Cumbria etc also are fearful of the virus spread.

You're forgetting social distancing and hand washing. If everyone got infected when they went the shops, at least half the population would have caught it by now. With diligent social distancing, day-tripping shouldn't be any more of an issue than going out for exercise locally or going to the local shop or supermarket.

Anyway, what were they thinking of, visiting their parents in Skegness!! Definitely against the rules :p

Are you comparing a worldwide Pandemic which has so far killed millions

Millions????

Today, 292,893 have sadly died. You're massively out on that one, as you are out on the risk of people visiting the beach.

CV already exists in smugness (funnily enough, at pretty much the same rate per populous as here in Bristol) but is being kept under control by social distancing. We're quite tightly packed in down here, yet have a comparable rate of infection.

Just spotted the autocorrect above - that's quite funny...

So, as Jenny said, follow the rules and a few visitors won't be a problem.

Your point about visiting their parents - I don't think you can use an example of someone breaking the rules in your argument against me following them lol.

Millions????

Today, 292,893 have sadly died. You're massively out on that one, as you are out on the risk of people visiting the beach.

CV already exists in smugness (funnily enough, at pretty much the same rate per populous as here in Bristol) but is being kept under control by social distancing. We're quite tightly packed in down here, yet have a comparable rate of infection.

Your point about visiting their parents - I don't think you can use an example of someone breaking the rules in your argument against me following them lol.

I thought that 'Smugness' was both hilarious and deliberate, Steve.
I'll remember that one.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Just tried it on my tablet.... Also got smugness instead of skegness...Amazon fire has some very strange autocorrections. Or is it chrome?
think the answer to the question is "we can" but take care and use common sense!

GET THE VANS READY THREE OR FOUR WEEK TIME YOU CAN COME OUT TO PLAY AND I WILL BE NICE TO SEE (ALL) OF YOU SO WE CAN CHAT FACE TO FACE (MASKED OF COURSE) UNTIL THEN STAY SAFE

Just tried it on my tablet.... Also got smugness instead of skegness...Amazon fire has some very strange autocorrections. Or is it chrome?
think the answer to the question is "we can" but take care and use common sense!

Mine was on android phone, Samsung browser.

Reactions: Rec
Apart from my relatives, whom I fear for, I am also concerned for the hospital staff who would have to put themselves at risk to care for me. These are the same staff who fought so hard to save my life 4 years ago. Without their skills and determination I would not be here now and I would hate to think I had caused them suffering and possible death due to my inconsiderate behaviour.

Apart from my relatives, whom I fear for, I am also concerned for the hospital staff who would have to put themselves at risk to care for me. These are the same staff who fought so hard to save my life 4 years ago. Without their skills and determination I would not be here now and I would hate to think I had caused them suffering and possible death due to my inconsiderate behaviour.
As a nurse myself, I could say many things...but I wont! The point is that people are mainly NOT being inconsiderate, this is why the issue is being discussed/ considered?
We do have to move forward, slowly and with care. I consider that the stress caused to many, especially families without access to the open spaces many of us are lucky to access, should be considered as an important factor. Considered action with education regarding PPE & infection control measures, rather than ill informed scaremongering, should be encouraged. I have been horrified at the number of people around wearing masks wrongly, below the nose, above the chin etc. Also watched a man, wearing gloves and mask, do all his shopping then return to the car, put shopping in the car, and return the trolley, then drive off still wearing gloves. But feeling very safe, I am sure! Those gloves had touched all the items touched by others, transferred to gloves and then acted as a vector to transfer possible contaminants to the car, trolley, and everything else he touched before removing them. Oh, and he removed the mask, wearing gloves and threw the mask into the car seat! At least it wasn't on the car park floor....but he will have genuinely felt he was being responsible, considerate and safe.

Millions????

Are you comparing a worldwide Pandemic which has so far killed millions to a cold? No one is saying "my beach" or my "beauty spot" we are just trying to safeguard our lives and if the boot was on the other foot YOU would be the first to do the same.

Ok so I meant infected millions worldwide so I stand Corrected on that one BUT you still havent explained why you think this disease is as trivial as getting the common cold.

BUT you still havent explained why you think this disease is as trivial as getting the common cold.

That wasn't what I said, or my point. I said where would you trying to stop outsiders going to the beach end.

As a nurse myself, I could say many things...but I wont! The point is that people are mainly NOT being inconsiderate, this is why the issue is being discussed/ considered?
We do have to move forward, slowly and with care. I consider that the stress caused to many, especially families without access to the open spaces many of us are lucky to access, should be considered as an important factor. Considered action with education regarding PPE & infection control measures, rather than ill informed scaremongering, should be encouraged. I have been horrified at the number of people around wearing masks wrongly, below the nose, above the chin etc. Also watched a man, wearing gloves and mask, do all his shopping then return to the car, put shopping in the car, and return the trolley, then drive off still wearing gloves. But feeling very safe, I am sure! Those gloves had touched all the items touched by others, transferred to gloves and then acted as a vector to transfer possible contaminants to the car, trolley, and everything else he touched before removing them. Oh, and he removed the mask, wearing gloves and threw the mask into the car seat! At least it wasn't on the car park floor....but he will have genuinely felt he was being responsible, considerate and safe.
5e996245a0eb9-stupid-people-coronavirus-01-5e956b4c345c1__700.jpg

An interesting post, but would like to comment on one part of your post which you might have some feedback back on?
"I have been horrified at the number of people around wearing masks wrongly, below the nose, above the chin etc."
My Sister has been making facemasks for the general public to wear (so non-medical cloth type). She sent me some and I had a conversation about them with her to check the sizes ... She has made them apparently to the recommended /approved dimensions - and I measured the ones she sent me and she confirmed this.
Why I am saying this? For the ones she sent me it is impossible for me to wear one and cover my nose AND my chin simultaneously. As soon as I move/open my mouth, it will either move up or drop down. So if this is typical due to the recommended sizes, it is maybe not the wearers fault?
I don't think I have an unusually large face and currently just the one chin as well?
Are there different sizes of masks generally and she is using an incorrect dimension?
I will be making a couple myself and will be making them larger for obvious reasons.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back