Carrying capacity on a motorhome.

I've used an official council weighbridge, that is calibrated, instead of going back to the weighbridge at the scrapyard, I have got a print off of the results and I am under the maximum gross weight. If stopped by any officials and I was found to be over on there weighbridge, I can prove that I have used due diligence. I can't really do much more.
Sounds to me like you have done a lot more than the average Motorhome owner has bothered to do (y)

Probably been a bit over cautious due to been new to this Hobby, it's a huge learning curve and this is why forum sites like this are so valuable to us newby's, gaining advice from those who have years of experience under there belts.

We've been motorhoming for quite a few years now and never thought about the weight. But earlier this year we took it to a weigh bridge, and oh dear...So off came a lot of extras, we weighed everything we were going to take to Spain and tried again. This time we came in under, though the WB (at a big grain merchants) is accurate to only 20kg (some, I was told, only weigh to 50kg). Of course, is we travel with water in the tank at 1kg per litre or in the grey tank, or the cassette, we could be over.

By the way we weighed with 3/4 tank of fuel, a full gas tank, 2 passengers and the dog.

I think it's time that manufacturers had a consistent basis for describing payload, so everyone was clear about what is included and what isn't.

I think it's time that manufacturers had a consistent basis for describing payload, so everyone was clear about what is included and what isn't.

When I started motorhoming in 2008 the payload and the way it was calculated was stipulated in European Directive EC 92/21. This included 100% freshwater, one gas bottle, 90% fuel and 75kg for the driver. Every manufacturer did it the same. In 2016 it was changed by the EU and has led to the free for all that now exists. It was claimed motorhomes now have larger payloads. It was of course no such thing as manufacturers now include only 20ltrs or even no fresh water when calculating the payloads.
https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/news/european-rule-changes-means-more-motorhome-payload

I don’t think the revised regulation is any less clear than the original, just different. However I believe it closed a loophole that was making payload comparisons diifficult and also discouraging the fitting of sensible sized water tanks. My understanding is the old regulation said MIRO should include a full water tank and some clever manufacturers were fitting a travelling position to the water tank, which reduced full to 20 litres, so they only needed to allow for 20 kg. I wouldn’t describe the new rules as a free for all, just an amendment to try and keep up with manufacturing practices.

The motorhome I have just ordered has a 150 litre fresh water tank on a 3500 kg vehicle. I will have to be very careful not to travel with too much water but if staying put for a few days will not need to top up and will be able to enjoy a longer shower. Under the old regulations I am pretty sure it would have had a smaller tank.

Last edited:
Here's what Autotrail say on their website about payload: Driver is included in the weight of the vehicle; 75kg for each passenger; passengers (sic) personal allowance is 80kg (is that one passenger or more?); empty water tanks; options over and above the basic offering will reduce payload and they provide a calculator. Nothing about Fuel or Gas.

My mot station weighs each axle on brake roller mechanism when I queried accuracy was told it is checked by ministry.

Here's what Autotrail say on their website about payload: Driver is included in the weight of the vehicle; 75kg for each passenger; passengers (sic) personal allowance is 80kg (is that one passenger or more?); empty water tanks; options over and above the basic offering will reduce payload and they provide a calculator. Nothing about Fuel or Gas.
My understanding is the MIRO should include 75kg driver, 90% fuel, 11kg aluminium gas cylinder (full), ehu lead and 20 litres of water.
My mot station weighs each axle on brake roller mechanism when I queried accuracy was told it is checked by ministry.
I took my mh to a recycling weighbridge shortly after getting the axle weights with the MOT and they were only 10kg apart, which seems well within any margin of error.

My understanding is the MIRO should include 75kg driver, 90% fuel, 11kg aluminium gas cylinder (full), ehu lead and 20 litres of water.
Pilote say "MIRO is 20 ltrs water, 90% diesel, 90% full 11kg steel gas bottle but do not include any weight for the driver or other occupants." I believe Autotrail quote theirs with water tanks empty.

I took my mh to a recycling weighbridge shortly after getting the axle weights with the MOT and they were only 10kg apart, which seems well within any margin of error.
That's a good answer for me as I never questioned the accuracy at the MOT station, I will ask them in June.(y)

Pilote say "MIRO is 20 ltrs water, 90% diesel, 90% full 11kg steel gas bottle but do not include any weight for the driver or other occupants." I believe Autotrail quote theirs with water tanks empty.
The EU Regulation 1230/2012 is very specific that MIRO should include the mass of the driver at 75kg.

If it was mine I would be rechecking the weight at a different weighbridge before spending any serious money. If you keep it at home with a flat drive etc you could consider buying one of these so that you can play around with the weight distribution. Reich are used by local authorities etc so pretty accurate if used in accordance with the instructions.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=ggLBDlMM0kfDRM:

Dave
I like the idea of the Reich Weight Gauge, does it come with a Health & Safety warning though, back a bit, back a bit, STOP; Oh dear you've got a saggy back end! CLOUT!!!

The motorhome I have just ordered has a 150 litre fresh water tank on a 3500 kg vehicle. I will have to be very careful not to travel with too much water but if staying put for a few days will not need to top up and will be able to enjoy a longer shower. Under the old regulations I am pretty sure it would have had a smaller tank.

Our January 2007 registered Geist has a 120ltr fresh water tank and no 'travel' facility so must have been manufacturer specific maybe?

Our January 2007 registered Geist has a 120ltr fresh water tank and no 'travel' facility so must have been manufacturer specific maybe?
It always was manufacturer specific and I would guess that now the new regulations have levelled the playing field most won’t bother. It was probably only brought in to get round the 100% water rule.

Seems to me that the change in the rules made a lot of sense. Obviously didn't make any real difference in payload but it evened the playing field amongst manufacturers in the way they were allowed to quote the 'available' payload. And if I understand correctly removes the perception that British made motorhomes (or maybe Motorhomes for the British market?) had a worse payload then their Continental rivals.

Anyways, not sure what a payload limitation is personally? (I have a spare 800KG or so once all loaded up :D )

This sounds all too familiar.
I was also over weight at 3.5 and wanted a scooter in the back .
Did the SV thing to 3850 with the air bags and to get rear to 2240kg rating had to change rear tires to 112r rated ones.
By the wat my train weight was drastically reduced with this upgrade , from 6000kg to 4800kg
Then as previously mentioned everything behind the rear axle adds more weight to the rear loading than it actuality weighs .
So I moved my spare wheel as far forward as I could
See this post on another forum https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/201-wheels-tyres/213425-got-spare-wheel-under-my-van.html

I am now at 3850ish and rear is maxed out at 2240 on last trip. That is full of fuel water etc . worst bit is as fuel used rear axle weight goes up as front gets lighter

Some people would just not bother and chance it but at best you get stopped and have to throw away a few hundred quid of gear .

At worst accident ,, weight checked and banged up coz somebody hurt or worse . shudder to think. Also insurance void..
~
LT Man

There are several weight ratings that matter. They are
GTW - the maximum weight of the vehicle and its loaded trailer.
GVW - the maximum weight of the vehicle including everything: load, fuel, passengers, dirt. Everything.
Weight limits for each axle. Normally the individual axle weights add up to more than the GVW.
MIRO - the mass in running order. That's the weight of the vehicle, plus some fuel and a driver. Basically what it weighs when you drive it out of the dealer's showroom.
UW - Unladen weight - This is impossible to measure once the vehicle has been built, because it includes the weight of the items that are "used on the road" but not the items that are not used on the road. No water, no gas, no water tank, no gas tank, no mattresses, no beds... basically the bare shell of the motorhome. Some people dispute this interpretation, but the law says what is says.
Some makers publish a UW figure, but not many. As far as I know only the UK uses it (to define the speed limit of the vehicle) so many makers quote a MIRO figure as the UW - which is just plain wrong.
Normally you can go to SV Tech or JR Consultancy (cheaper) to get your GVW increased, but it is rare to be able to increase the official axle weights, so using the extra capacity may require very careful loading.

I may have weighed it wrong then, as I only just put the front Axle onto the weighbridge and did similar with the rear axle, but still the overhaul weight when the full motorhome was on, was still over the 3650kg allowed
It must go on AS FAR AS POSSIBLE before the rear wheels go on, same going off front just off rears on as far as possible. The weights should match within a few kilos.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back