Charging Leisure Batteries via EV points.

All I can think is that they are using electric fridges, Microwaves etc, if our LB wasn't goosed we'd not have had any problems, I'm considering not even getting a new one until it actually doesn't charge at all.

Instead of getting more and more power consider lessening your needs.

Your post got me thinking .... a rare thing these days. :giggle:

How long before Caravan owners come up with an adaptor that will trickle charge their EV from the hookup point on a site?

This could lead to a lot of 240V usage and the subsequent hike in hookup fees on sites. :rolleyes:
It's already happening. Take a look at Andrew Ditton's YouTube channel and some of the 'similar too' linked videos. This is also a reason why some campsites plan to migrate from "EHU included" to "metered electric" charging models.

By the time EV motorhomes are anywhere near commonplace, EV commerical Vans will be far more numerous and EV charging points will have been created/adapted for them.
Why worry about something that is not going to happen for quite a long time and by the time it does happen will have be resolved anyway almost certainly? (sounds like you have more pressing things on your mind to concern yourself about like caravan security).
I suspect that's non-sequitur as the majority of EV vans will probably be charged at base. In the meantime, EV motorhomes are already in use in NZ (courtesy of Britz, at least) and at least one manufacturer is converting EV vans (Sussex Campervans), albeit the Nissan equivalent of the Dispatch/Expert/Scudo, which will fit a standard car parking bay.

Last edited:
All I can think is that they are using electric fridges, Microwaves etc, if our LB wasn't goosed we'd not have had any problems, I'm considering not even getting a new one until it actually doesn't charge at all.

Instead of getting more and more power consider lessening your needs.
I live in my van. Why should I not have compressor fridge that was already fitted when I bought the van, phone/iPad/laptop charging and even turn on the tv sometimes to watch F1. Horses for courses, I don’t camp 👍

I wasn't saying you shouldn't, but you're not buying one of these cables as you have enough power already.

I live in my van. Why should I not have compressor fridge that was already fitted when I bought the van, phone/iPad/laptop charging and even turn on the tv sometimes to watch F1. Horses for courses, I don’t camp 👍
Maybe your horse for the course was the Merc that Lewis Hamilton drove, Neil ... Not so much, 'That's the way the cookie crumbles'; more, 'That's the way the Mercedes Benz' as the crash zone engineer was alleged to have remarked ... :p

Steve

I wasn't saying you shouldn't, but you're not buying one of these cables as you have enough power already.
Correct on both counts lol, I was just making the point everyone has different uses and needs 😘😘

Reactions: Rec
Maybe your horse for the course was the Merc that Lewis Hamilton drove, Neil ... Not so much, 'That's the way the cookie crumbles'; more, 'That's the way the Mercedes Benz' as the crash zone engineer was alleged to have remarked ... :p

Steve
Shhh, I haven’t watched yesterdays race yet lol

Don't forget if you are going to use EV points you will also need some 14 different apps on your phone. It could only happen in the UK. Talk about complicating things.

Correct on both counts lol, I was just making the point everyone has different uses and needs 😘😘
Of course, I didn't like the way we were so dependent on things so Liz and I both economise on the 12v we use now, same with gas and water, I think if she likes the new toy I bought her we may no longer need the cassette, and of course even less use of water and we have only ever used bottled water for drinking.

We are dependent on LPG and no plans to change that & unless we come across a used refillable we're stuck with Calor, as I cannot justify the cost of buying new kit especially if it's going to be harder to fill up.

Ha
You have predicted some of the thinking behind my question depending on what the answer was :)
If you are charging and are paying not just for the current but the time (like your 50p/Hr example), it could well make sense to make the most of the time spent charging to maximize the value, such as making your dinner with electric appliances or maybe heating your water with the electric element using the 'spare' capacity of the charge point?

I have this vague recollection that public EV points in Scotland are free? maybe that was just a temporary thing? (as said, not an EV driver so not something I have taken a massive interest in).

But once the cable is bought and paid for, using an EV point (obviously at a non-obtrusive time to not inconvenience EV drivers) would seem to be a very good way to recharge batteries when the alternative might be to have to book into a campsite. In fact, even if you intend to go to a campsite anyway, charging via EV off-site with your cable and then selecting a Non-EHU pitch could still be a notable saving

Have you ever tried to find a Non EHU pitch 😅 The more they add like Showers, WiFi, Hard Standing, Tap on each pitch, Drain on each pitch, EHU the more they can charge.

Yep @QFour apps by the billion, some so awkward to use you wonder why anyone would, ironically many charge points are still in the not 99% of the claimed uk network coverage areas!

the most expensive charge points are also the ones that take debit cards, the operators of these have quickly realised peddling electricity at 3-4 times the domestic rate in an easier to buy format is quite profitable. So if the app fails at least now unlike 5-10 years ago you can at least get something in the EV.

Tesco are still subsidising PodPoint and their app is one of the better ones, currently the type 2 (7kw) rate is cheaper than the capped domestic rate by a fair bit

Connected kerb do offset timed EV charging currently probably at the cheapest roadside charging tariff out there at certain times of the day but despite multiple attempts I have never been able to get their app to initiate a charge.

Last edited:
Ha

Have you ever tried to find a Non EHU pitch 😅
Yes. No problems 😅
The more they add like Showers, WiFi, Hard Standing, Tap on each pitch, Drain on each pitch, EHU the more they can charge.
Very handy as well if you want that. Stayed at a very nice fully serviced pitch at Swiss Farm in Henley back in 2021. Specifically chose that pitch option at that time as wanted some luxury. They also provided wired TV connection (you forgot that in the list) as well as automatic toilet cassette emptying and cleaning.

Yes. No problems 😅

Very handy as well if you want that. Stayed at a very nice fully serviced pitch at Swiss Farm in Henley back in 2021. Specifically chose that pitch option at that time as wanted some luxury. They also provided wired TV connection (you forgot that in the list) as well as automatic toilet cassette emptying and cleaning.
That's not a pitch, David, it's a hotel ... :D

Steve

It's already happening. Take a look at Andrew Ditton's YouTube channel and some of the 'similar too' linked videos. This is also a reason why some campsites plan to migrate from "EHU included" to "metered electric" charging models.

I suspect that's non-sequitur as the majority of EV vans will probably be charged at base.
Start of the day, yes. but the drivers probably also want to get back at the end?
pointless discussion as neither you or I know the future.
In the meantime, EV motorhomes are already in use in NZ (courtesy of Britz, at least)
need a bloody long cable if your camper in NZ is going to use a UK charge point ;)
and at least one manufacturer is converting EV vans (Sussex Campervans), albeit the Nissan equivalent of the Dispatch/Expert/Scudo, which will fit a standard car parking bay.
fits in a standard bay? so what is your point?

That's not a pitch, David, it's a hotel ... :D

Steve
It was a nice pitch. The cassette cleaning machine was an extra cost although. (Oh, the site also had concierge services plus a fully equipped laundry and resturant).
Not bad site at £26 for the fully serviced pitch either. one annoying thing ... had to use a levelling ramp and I would have thought the hardstandings would have been levelled?

Update:
Opps ... it was not £26, it was £27.50 :(

Thank you for the balance payment of £55.00 on your holiday booking.

You are booked at Swiss Farm with the following details:

Unit: 8m (RV) Fully Serviced Pitch - Unit Type: Motorhome
Arrival date: 20/09/2021
Departure date: 22/09/2021
Number of Nights: 2
Party: Adult (16+): 2

Last edited:
Start of the day, yes. but the drivers probably also want to get back at the end?
pointless discussion as neither you or I know the future.
But we know the present and companies like Amazon who are currently using EV vans plan their routes so the vans return to base before they run out of range.
need a bloody long cable if your camper in NZ is going to use a UK charge point ;)

fits in a standard bay? so what is your point?
You don't need a bloody long cable if you're in NZ. As I suspect you already know, my point is that the same sort of conversions now available in NZ will soon be over here -- and they don't fit in standard bays.

But we know the present and companies like Amazon who are currently using EV vans plan their routes so the vans return to base before they run out of range.

You don't need a bloody long cable if you're in NZ. As I suspect you already know, my point is that the same sort of conversions now available in NZ will soon be over here -- and they don't fit in standard bays.
So EV bays in NZ will accomodate bigger vehicles then already? (as long as they have fully plumbed in toilets of course).

Roll on the metered electricity. Will make MH with solar cheaper per night or are they going to keep the same price as now and charge extra for electric.

Roll on the metered electricity. Will make MH with solar cheaper per night or are they going to keep the same price as now and charge extra for electric.
All depends on if there is a per night charge for electric provision and then a per kWh charge during the stay.

When you say "same price as now and charge extra for electric.", a pitch fee currently states if it provide EHU or not, so it can't just stay the same and charge extra for electric if the fee already includes EHU. No one will stand paying something like £8 or whatever it is currently usually per night for EHU provision and then pay for metered use on top.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back