Chausson Towing Limits

Thanks again for all the replies and info, I was informed by a dealer yesterday the Ford can pull 2000kg but with the auto box 750kg (I'm not sure what that says for the new auto box?) but no mention of the v5 issue. So again thanks.
But I have been advised a new order now would be for be April/May next year.

I'd never buy a new van, too big a loss due to having to pay VAT.

I wonder if a "no towing capacity" affects the ability to fit a non-approved towbar if the only reason someone might have is to fit a towbar-mounted luggage/bike rack? (of course someone may do that for that specific reason, but the next owner may not realise it is a "no-tow towbar"!)

I think as Neil says it is dubious and sharp practice to have to spend over £600 on a physical towbar and then get a Motorhome dealer (not even a specific towbar installation company) to fit it, paying overall at least £1250 (discounted!!) in the process.

Do you know what overall GTW and/or towing limit the Baltic Wharf guy ended up with after all that?
Hi Wildbus I thin if I remember it correctly it was 5500kg

Hi Everyone, from what I under stand it's something to do with the chassis needing extensions or something like that; I've been told that the tow bar itself is very heavy; one person said 60kg seems a bit over the top but you never know; this is on a Fiat not the Ford; the Fiat has a higher payload than the Ford especially the Ford with the auto box in it. My Fiat when new; the payload was 473kg the Ford with the auto box is 406kg both ridiculously low for a so called 4 berth MH; but I've taken the smart lounge seats out and also the up and down table to save me just under 60kg. Best Wishes Tony

Have you found your data plate yet, does it agree with the V5, if not there should be another data plate, quite often they put them on the side of the cab seat too if up plated, it is important to know where they are as if stopped the Rozzers might want to see it and they would likely stop looking once they found one.
I left replying a little so as not to distract op from info they wanted. I have done some investigation and although I need to put it on a weighbridge to see what my configuration comes in at the van as sold with no extras came in at 3000kgs with plated weight of 3800kgs, and max train weight of 5800kgs. This is because the mercs came with MB chassis and not Alko according to the blurb.

A previous owner used SVTech to increase the plated weight of my van to 4000kgs which took payload to 1tonne but dropped trailer weight to 1800kgs.

Am I right in thinking if I did go for downgrading to max van weight of 3500kgs I could pul trailer to a max of 2300kgs? That’s what it looks like to me and I could certainly get everything I may want in that including my normal car lol

I left replying a little so as not to distract op from info they wanted. I have done some investigation and although I need to put it on a weighbridge to see what my configuration comes in at the van as sold with no extras came in at 3000kgs with plated weight of 3800kgs, and max train weight of 5800kgs. This is because the mercs came with MB chassis and not Alko according to the blurb.

A previous owner used SVTech to increase the plated weight of my van to 4000kgs which took payload to 1tonne but dropped trailer weight to 1800kgs.

Am I right in thinking if I did go for downgrading to max van weight of 3500kgs I could pul trailer to a max of 2300kgs? That’s what it looks like to me and I could certainly get everything I may want in that including my normal car lol
my understanding is same as yours - GVW increased after an uprate but overall GTW stays the same.
My own Towing limit was 2500Kg (6000 minus 3500), but after increasing GVW to 3850, towing limit now 2150. In both our cases, each Kilo not actually used below the GVW can be put on the Trailer on a trip as long as you are not exceeding the quoted GTW.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back