Cheap Drone Recommendations

Is there any sort of insurance required or available in case the worst happens. Also whats the position on overflying people and property. Spoke to a friend last night about drones and he said that someone was flying one over his village and residents were up in arms some threatening to shoot it down if it came over their property.
Under 250 gm no need to register or pass the test
BUT look for the guidelines
Mainly common sense but some precise info re built-up areas and privacy which should prevent the incorrect flying over properties

Have a look at Captain Drone on YouTube

Good Morning.

Can anyone recommend a cheap half decent drone? I'm not looking for anything overly fancy and even 720p would be fine as I only intend to use the videos on my blog.

Thanks

Phill
Holy stone HS720, Brilliant bit of kit. makes me seem like a qualified pilot, down load app, auto connect drone to hand set, log your current position for auto fly home, has GPS, compass, auto home, auto take off, auto land, stabilised camera, ect ect, or fly manual, Bought mine for £250 on evil bay from UK seller.

I can understand why we got registration particularly when a drone is sold as "fly anywhere". Too many with little common sense will get and fly irresponsibly.

I can understand why we got registration particularly when a drone is sold as "fly anywhere". Too many with little common sense will get and fly irresponsibly.
Yes,
But if you get one under 250gm you do not have to register.
I am looking to buy under 250gm so as no need to register.
I have read and will print out the guidance.
I just want a few overhead images of
Overnight locations (sometimes from the otherside of a river)
Rivers / streams / gorges / cliffs in the countryside
Maybe some castles or similar (subject to all the guidance)
Guidance regarding privacy

I was only making a point at how these are sold. I am registered and it is no big deal if you do the homework. Unfortunately many will just out the box and go without any thought or need to register but should at least have read the requirements.

Kids here all have them buzzing around,dont give a fart where they do it either,no reg or ins.

Probably because they get money from adverts or whatever for a longer clip !
Choose th features you need and also want
eg GPS Wi-Fi Phone control SD hard Steadiness Video/Still image better Return home feature sd card
Camera only forward or able to rotate to downwards
I suggest Flight time not too crucial for "amatuer use" and "follow me" feature
I have bought a £40 model with most of the features I want.
Will report back ! ( it is in the post !)

I have a dji Mavic Mini which is great...if not a little light in high winds, it has a 2.7k camera which is great for video and photography...and as it is under 250g you do not need a license..not sure what you call cheap but I paid £300 for mine....will upgrade to dji Mavic air 2 at a later date.

I just got a Mavic mini to use on my travels. Really good piece of kit capable of 2.7k video - I normally record in 4K on my camcorder but 2.7k is adequate for me. There is the basic model around £369 but worth paying around £459 for the Fly More pack as you get 2 additional batteries, a charger that will allow you to charge all batteries together and a decent case. Simple to get to grips with.

I have splashed out £40 !...That is my cheap
OK bought off the "Thai Amazon" ..Lazada.co.th
It has features... I will see how it is but it is under the 250gm limit
Not willing to pay £400 or so
Not wanting to Spend £100 and to have to register.
I do not plan much use..
I have 2x good cameras for "proper photos" ..... plus the phone !

I have splashed out £40 !...That is my cheap
OK bought off the "Thai Amazon" ..Lazada.co.th
It has features... I will see how it is but it is under the 250gm limit
Not willing to pay £400 or so
Not wanting to Spend £100 and to have to register.
I do not plan much use..
I have 2x good cameras for "proper photos" ..... plus the phone !

As Chase Jarvis once said "The Best Camera Is The One That's With You"
But I've found that as far as lenses go "The Best Lens is the one you've left at home" lol

Regards,
Del

My cheapo drone took okay video and stills, certainly good enough for the net, my problem was I am rubbish trying to pilot it 😂😂😂😂

Similar thought regarding prices @jagmanx except mine cos £35 on offer 👍

That's the problem. A drone without GPS is much harder to control. It tends to use the air as its "static" reference and you are endlessly trying to fly it into a different bit of air because the old bit blew away. With a GPS drone, it uses the GPS position as the static reference and it does all the fighting the wind for you.

I had an inexpensive drone and gave up trying to fly it due to stress. I eventually bought a Mavic mini which has GPS and I was amazed how capable it was right from the first flight. I am still learning but I can confirm that a sensor facing downward and GPS and stabilised cymbal has transformed my experience of drones into a very manageable and enjoyable pastime. Good luck with the drone you got...have fun.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back