Check glow plugs message .

paulhelenwilko

Just been up to storage to collect the Motorhome to prepare for Hereford.

After reading a recent thread on here I turned on the ignition and carefully waited for the lights to go out.
It didn't fire up as quickly as usual but still on the first turn. However the dashboard then briefly showed the message :
'Check Glow Plugs'.

The engine is a 2013 Ducatto 2.3 150hp.

During the day started twice more but the message didn't appear. However the engine would have still been a little warm on the subesquent occasions.

Anyone had any experience to share of above ?

Paul.

had the same problem on a 2016 peugeot based mo/ho 2.2 hdi for over a year never missed a beat and fired up instantly throughout winter went to knordcapp and back this year no probs at all in 2018 same vehicle engine management light came on {amber} drove to sicily and back never missed a beat

Will I have Glow Plugs on our 66 plate Peugeot Boxer 2.2 Diesel ....not seen a light !!!

I stand to be corrected but I think ALL Diesel engines have a glow plugs.

I stand to be corrected but I think ALL Diesel engines have a glow plugs.
But some glow brighter than others, Kev! And when the glow is as bright as gloworm's armpit, it probably suggests that failure is not far away! The Other Forum Thread suggests the Glowplug relay may be failing. If it were my M/Home, I would be booking it in with the autoelectrician to get the relays checked first.

There's a [remote] possibility that if the M/Home has been in storage for a wee while, the VB voltage might have dropped AND the plugs could have called for a full pre-heat in the cold snap, so creating the worst of all worlds, low power/high demand for power. The fact that the 'Check Plugs' warning didn't reappear after the initial start up, when there was some residual warmth may be linked to an ECU misinterpretation of the data after the standing idle in storage

Slight tangent, but when my LB goes into deep sleep at 100% SOC, it trips the 12v when the fan or fridge asks for a teaspoon of electric, and the Truma Heating throws an error code that advises low voltage and suggests turning off everything that can be dispensed with, in order to save the batteries! Hence my suggestion to get an autoelectrician to do a thorough check!

Steve

Will I have Glow Plugs on our 66 plate Peugeot Boxer 2.2 Diesel ....not seen a light !!!
Yeah you will most certainly will have them ,might be worth getting them tested to make sure the relay is powering them up?

I've never waited fot the glowplug light apart from on the self build as it jsut wouldn't start with out when really cold but it had 160k on it and was a tired engine, anything else I just start it up.

Glow plugs are the reason we can’t make New Year this year. The garage just managed to fit new glow plugs before they shut for Christmas, but they also need a new relay, which didn’t arrive in time. Hopefully it will be a simple job to fit when they reopen on the 3rd Jan.

I've never waited fot the glowplug light apart from on the self build as it jsut wouldn't start with out when really cold but it had 160k on it and was a tired engine, anything else I just start it up.
I was told [after the failure, so too late!] to turn the key to ignition, which will include the glow plugs, and wait for the warning lights to extinguish after the self check, before starting the engine [if the airbag light remains lit, the VB needs recharged] to avoid blowing the Airbag/seatbelt ECU. This advice is now printed in the Ducato Owner's Manual, and makes specific mention of the glow plug light extinguishing before the engine is started. It's the 2nd item under the 'Read This Carefully' heading on about the fourth page [reading on my phone so cannot see Page Numbers!

Steve

Mines and 07 2.2 so not sure if it applies but before I bought the Ctek to keep the VB topped up it was starting easiely with no glow plugs on at an indicated 11.9v Steve, but I will try to remember to look it up and maybe even use them, but it does occur to me and always has if it starts without okay then why use them at all, should they not be linked into some sort of temperature sensor so when it's not that cold they don't get used.

Mines and 07 2.2 so not sure if it applies but before I bought the Ctek to keep the VB topped up it was starting easiely with no glow plugs on at an indicated 11.9v Steve, but I will try to remember to look it up and maybe even use them, but it does occur to me and always has if it starts without okay then why use them at all, should they not be linked into some sort of temperature sensor so when it's not that cold they don't get used.
I started Brunhilde up about 3 weeks ago [I monitor the VB and LB voltages via the Ablemail ABB07 Bluetooth that plugs into the AMT 12-2 Battery Refresher] after the M/Home had moved about 10 metres in the preceding 3 weeks [and that was only to give space for the Engineers to dig holes for the new Gas Main installation], so the engine running time had been less than a minute during this period. The glow plugs definitely lit up, and when I turned the key to start, Kev, there was a 1/4 second hesitation, sounding as though it may require a second turn of the key. I took Brunhilde for a 25 mile trip [20 miles mix of single and dual carriageway to get the engine thoroughly warm, then a pit stop shop at Aldi and a 5 mile pootle home, with the engine getting back to full operating temperature], and she was like a new M/Home. That episode took place during the 'big freeze' so the marginal hesitation on starting in the cold after a period of standing was not really surprising [but it did cause a wee 'heart in the mouth' moment, bearing in mind it was pretty much 12 months to the day since the ECU failure!

Steve

Ours starts fine but what I was querying was what sort of illuminated light for Glow Plugs on the dash am I looking for ? Thanks Chris.

Just bin up to our Van switched on ign, all lights illuminated then Glow Plug light went out after 1 sec before I started engine is that correct, thanks Chris.

Just bin up to our Van switched on ign, all lights illuminated then Glow Plug light went out after 1 sec before I started engine is that correct, thanks Chris.
Sounds ok it may stay on longer depending on outside temp .in the summer it may not even illuminate ,the beauty of high pressure diesel injection

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back