Check glow plugs message .

Thanks for the reply something to not worry about for the mo then. Chris.
You only need to be concerned IF the glow plug light stays on after you’ve started the engine, but be aware, the glow plug warning light is sometimes used to indicate many other electrical problems as well.

I stand to be corrected but I think ALL Diesel engines have a glow plugs.

Yeah you will most certainly will have them ,might be worth getting them tested to make sure the relay is powering them up?
My 2002 Fiat 2.8JTD does not have glow plugs, 2.3ltr engines have them but 2.8JTD engines are fitted with a flame starter as a cold starting device

Attachments

• Ducato Cold Starting Device.pdf
    71.6 KB · Views: 10
Mind the old york diesels with the glow coil and easy start mod by Ford under the bonnet terry?

I looked into glow plugs after my son's car developed a fault. They are expected to last 100k miles, but there is no service interval for them.
Most people leave it until they have a fault with a glow plug before doing anything about them. But that's when they will not come out. The tip will be expanded, locking it into the head. They only have a shear torque of 20-40Nm, dependant on size, so they will shear, as most mechanics do not use a torque wrench which works clockwise and anti-clockwise, or the body comes out leaving the tip in the bore. Only safe way to fix is head off. So very expensive. Best advice change them about 80-85k miles to save all the grief.
Set for citroen berlingo £45 two hours to DIY change. Fiat ducato only on 35k miles, tops clean and corrosion free, so will leave them for now.

Sounds ok it may stay on longer depending on outside temp .in the summer it may not even illuminate ,the beauty of high pressure diesel injection
Most pre and post heat, on pre start for less than a second, post start can be on for up to 10 seconds, dependant on temp.

Preparing to leave Hereford this morning, followed the procedure and turned ignition on until lights gone out. Started first turn. Left running to demist windows.
About 20mins after turning engine off I restarted ready to leave and got the check glow plugs message and the orange glow plug warning light stayed on for about 30secs.

Will try to book it in tomorrow.

Moho is 2013 and 50K. Should I be disappointed if it needs new glowplugs ?

Paul.

Preparing to leave Hereford this morning, followed the procedure and turned ignition on until lights gone out. Started first turn. Left running to demist windows.
About 20mins after turning engine off I restarted ready to leave and got the check glow plugs message and the orange glow plug warning light stayed on for about 30secs.

Paul.
If it only stayed on for 30 seconds Paul, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. But certainly keep an eye on it.
Glad to hear you had a good time👍

Paul.
IIRC, the 'Out & About' Thread referred to a Relay and/or sensor failure, which perhaps makes more sense than a glow plug, especially after you have driven the vehicle a decent distance from storage, to get the engine warmed thoroughly and a chance to get the equivalent of the 'Italian Decoke' done[?]. Even if it was a cold'ish day, after running the engine for 20 minutes, there should be enough residual warmth to avoid the 'Check glow plugs' warning message. If it were me, I would get it checked and repaired, if only to avoid a problem at a less convenient time for a recurrence in the future.

But I speak as someone who spent the first 7 hours after midnight on his 65th birthday waiting for RAC Recovery after number 1 injector cracked [9000 miles after I had had a complete set of injectors fitted at just over 22000 miles from new; well, a demonstrator with 1477 miles on the clock when I bought it]

Steve

Last edited:

Paul.
It’s not unknown for glow plugs to be replaced at 60K

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back