Clean drinking water

If your not happy boil it and filter it for consumptive purposes. When we lived in Oman in the eighties we boiled the tap water and then filtered it a classic stone pot and ceramic filter to take out any solids, we disinfected the ceramic filter regularly to minimise bacteria build up.

I fitted one of these

with the AP3 Head

I’m having a Dirty Harry moment. Do I feel lucky, well do I.
I’ll give Portuguese water a go, boiled only though, in tea or coffee only.
Maybe.
I did boil my pasta in it today.🥺
If I die because of it, I’ll be really pi$$ed off.

• Funny
Reactions: Rec
Thats exactly what I did when I got snowed in for a week. Gathered fresh clean snow each morning, melted and bolted it then decanted it to bottles. When I got out after 8 days I still have about 17 litres
I do remember that weekend. Or very long weekend in your case😬

Yes . That’s what Lee said. Although that was one or two cups a day. Not every drink I had, every day.
But you know me. If I didn’t worry, I’d have nothing to do. 😚🤢

Del, if you want to be sure get either a Sawyer or Lifestraw filter ;)

Regards,
Del

We were told, by a water treatment scientist that we met, that foreign water is perfectly safe to drink. It is just treated differently to our water. It takes our guts a little while to acclimatise to those differences. He advised just sipping a little every day for a couple of weeks to allow our guts to acclimatise. We never have any problems now. If I remember rightly it used to happen to people when they travelled to different water districts in the uk!

Drinking local water now. Without a problem other than taste. Tea tastes flat, almost stale.
Water from different areas within the UK, as you say, does affect the taste. Why should I expect Portuguese water to be any different? Especially when I’m in a non tea drinking country.😬 I take sugar in coffee, maybe that’s why I don’t notice so much off a taste difference.
No matter. Unless you know better, maybe this thread has run it’s course. Thanks for taking an interest.👍
Stay safe

If I remember rightly it used to happen to people when they travelled to different water districts in the uk!
When I go to my MIL's in Hertfordshire the water there is chalky and tea or coffee tastes awful as well as giving me stomach problems, our water in the Midlands is soft and we have never needed to descale the kettle, if we go to her house in the van I use the water from the tap in the van to make my drinks

When I go to my MIL's in Hertfordshire the water there is chalky and tea or coffee tastes awful as well as giving me stomach problems, our water in the Midlands is soft and we have never needed to descale the kettle, if we go to her house in the van I use the water from the tap in the van to make my drinks
You’re so picky Terry. Anyone would think we’re brothers of different mothers.🙄

The Wiltshire chalk I grew up on is wonderful stuff, well not for kettles and plumbing. Until I emigrated to Yorkshire I never knew I had a serious stomach problem. The chalk took care of it. That said Devizes was another story. The water one side of the town gave you the runs and the other side bunged you up. Bath water had a green tint to it. After a few weeks you'd get used to it, but it makes you wonder about the quality.

Well I get lots of draught Buxton spring water myself

We were told, by a water treatment scientist that we met, that foreign water is perfectly safe to drink. It is just treated differently to our water. It takes our guts a little while to acclimatise to those differences. He advised just sipping a little every day for a couple of weeks to allow our guts to acclimatise. We never have any problems now. If I remember rightly it used to happen to people when they travelled to different water districts in the uk!
If you have a "delicate" stomach, maybe it might be a plan to top up the water tank every day as you travel. That way, any changes to the water will be introduced gradually.
Taking an opposite approach, I remember being in France, around 20 years ago, when some friends came round to our van for a cup of tea. They were full of praise for how good it tasted.
We had only been away for a month or so, and so they were drinking Yorkshire Tea made with Yorkshire water: on that van we had two 22 gallon water tanks, and could switch between them.The washing water came out one tank and was refilled, but the other tank was reserved for drinking, and lasted six weeks or more.
Sadly, that motorhome was on a Ford Transit base. Predictably, it was eventually stolen, never to be seen again.

We don't have a problem drinking local water, the reason we filter the water is that we don't know the history of the water tank so we feel that filtering it is the best option.

Regards,
Del

We never drink the water in France Spain or Portugal on our tours.
Not because there water is not good it's because wd hsve seem so many people Washing there toilets out using the wrong taps .
We buy bottled water for drinking .

We don't have a problem drinking local water, the reason we filter the water is that we don't know the history of the water tank so we feel that filtering it is the best option.

Regards,
Del
I had half a water carrier full of bottled water, I topped this off with tap water. Without a problem afaik. Today I’ve filled it full with tap water, so watch this space. I’m on my own in the van, so there’s never a queue for the loo.
Like you, I don’t know what the previous owner put in the on board tank, so I use the water carrier as a non washing source. Although I use Puraclean once a year.
We never drink the water in France Spain or Portugal on our tours.
Not because there water is not good it's because wd hsve seem so many people Washing there toilets out using the wrong taps .
We buy bottled water for drinking .
Good point! That was one of my major concerns. Fortunately, there’s a good distance between the water tap and waste points .

Regards,
Del
I'd give it a good wash out with tap water: that's chlorinated enough to sort it.
Having said that, my van does have a filter in the cold feed to the kitchen tap.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back